Voice Search does not work on Android 2.2

Trace509

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Voice Search does not seem to work on Android 2.2. It does not recognize names in my Contacts List, it does not fill in the TO: field for Text Messages, etc. It seems to do a Google Search before looking at stuff on the phone first. Please fix this problem.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Min works fine for sending text and emails to which ever name I speak. Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling. I think I remember seeing a screen at startup (right after I downloaded it) that might have looked like a voice calibration exercise...but I'm not sure, it may have just been some sort of tutorial.

Also, try speaking very clearly, and maybe go for a simple one first like "send text to John" (or brad or mary...a simple name you have in your contacts). My wife's name is Kaysi, but google voice couldn't put my pronunciation together with that unusual spelling of the name, so I actually added a new contact called Casey with her cell and email so I could use it. Sometimes you have to accept limitations and find workarounds, or don't use it and complain...choices. I'm not implying that you (the OP) are whining, but there are plenty of folks out there that love to find what's wrong with everything. OK...getting off of my soap box now.

vernzula

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Fix

Here is how I fixed the same frustrating problem:

All of your contacts must be in Gmail, just the way it is...
Save your contacts to a .CSV
Open Gmail, Click my contacts, under 'more actions' click 'Import'
find the .CSV file you made and there you go.
Make sure you phone is synced up with gmail and give it a min to update.

After doing this my voice search for call, text, and email commands works great.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
So in gmail (online) you exported (to csv), then turned around and imported those same contacts and that fixed your Voice Search?

I don't understand what that would do to make it work. Any ideas as to what it does?