Coming from BB Storm 2 to Droid X

stolzyboy

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
One thing I miss about the BB is that if I want to type in "bbiab" I can have it display be back in a bit. This was done with the built-in "dictionary".

Is there any such thing for Android that will allow this sort of functionality?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been asked before!

stolzyboy

Racer38

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I am also a convert from the Storm 2, I find that the Droid X is everything the Storm 2 should have been.

I wish there was someway to get a BBM port so you could contact some of the Blackberry Messenger users..

This thing does everything better than the Storm 2 !!!

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
One thing I miss about the BB is that if I want to type in "bbiab" I can have it display be back in a bit. This was done with the built-in "dictionary".

Is there any such thing for Android that will allow this sort of functionality?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been asked before!

stolzyboy

Use Voice to Text, who needs "dictionary" shortcuts, that's so old school, lol. ;)

J/K :cool:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
for text messages at least, i think handcent has an option for autotext which might work for that...

some of the 3rd party keyboard iirc also had that feature, either better keyboard, or smart keyboard i can't remember which.

cron912

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Storm 2 as well, and have come to really like Ultra Keyboard. It does suggestive words, which takes your user dictionary into account, and autotext/shortcuts (bbiab=be back in a bit). It also has an option to either use a full keyboard or compact keyboard in portrait mode. The compact keyboard is basically the same thing as the portrait SureType keyboard on the Storm, if you used it.

stolzyboy

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Storm 2 as well, and have come to really like Ultra Keyboard. It does suggestive words, which takes your user dictionary into account, and autotext/shortcuts (bbiab=be back in a bit). It also has an option to either use a full keyboard or compact keyboard in portrait mode. The compact keyboard is basically the same thing as the portrait SureType keyboard on the Storm, if you used it.

i do miss the suretype!

stolzyboy

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I also wish Google Talk would show the "delivered" and "read" notifications that BBM had, but overall, loving the X in comparison, just miss some of the
BB specific things, but that's going to be the issue when you go from one platform to another and vice versa.

cron912

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
It is a paid app ($3-4 I think), but it's been well worth it. It has quite a few other features as well. For example, it will also do tracing (think Swype), and can be done on both the full and compact keyboard.

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Came from Storm 2 also and 3 other BB's before it. Was very difficult to switch and admit RIM had really fallen behind. I'm so glad I did though. I'm in love with my X. All I miss is BBM and built in sound profiles. Although the app Audio Manager Pro easily took care of that. I highly recommend it. Everything else is far superior!

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Came from Storm 2 also and 3 other BB's before it. Was very difficult to switch and admit RIM had really fallen behind. I'm so glad I did though. I'm in love with my X. All I miss is BBM and built in sound profiles. Although the app Audio Manager Pro easily took care of that. I highly recommend it. Everything else is far superior!

I use setting profiles. Seems similar, but it's always nice to have options

Settings -> Language & Keyboards -> User Dictionary -> Add

That will add a word, yes, but not an auto text shortcut. They are the only thing I miss from bb.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

JettaStorm97

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I remember reading about a program called "Ping Chat". It is a multi-platform program. From what I hear it works similar to BBM. I have not used it, so I can't give many other details. But Just a thought for something to maybe check out.

I still have an S2, waiting for my upgrade to become available next month. But doing a little research before making the switch to the DX.

karmiccalamity

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I use setting profiles. Seems similar, but it's always nice to have options

That will add a word, yes, but not an auto text shortcut. They are the only thing I miss from bb.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

I use the SwiftKey keyboard on my dx most of the time I don't have to type more than two letters of a word and it will predict it. might be a good solution for you

EpicSkull Inked

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I am also a convert from the Storm 2, I find that the Droid X is everything the Storm 2 should have been.

I wish there was someway to get a BBM port so you could contact some of the Blackberry Messenger users..

This thing does everything better than the Storm 2 !!!
How about it. But I had the storm 1.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I use the SwiftKey keyboard on my dx most of the time I don't have to type more than two letters of a word and it will predict it. might be a good solution for you

I have SwiftKey, but I keep switching back to Swype. It's nice not having to worry about fat fingers on the wrong keys.

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I used firekeys for a while. it was ok i just didnt like how the keyboard felt when i got to the droid x because i got addicted to the regular keyboard.

imwjl#AC

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
lol... kinda hard to voice text when I'm in the office :)

I'm Storm person approaching my X return date. I started using voice to text for my time and billing entries and then got some strange looks at a few work sites he he....

I'm currently looking at different keyboards, missing some aspects of Blackberry, but the X large screen is hard to give up.