Wifi vs 3G

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Can someone clarify if it is better to have Wi-fi on when you are home or leave it off. The reason I ask is, I read an article that advised the following: If you are getting sporadic 3G coverage at home (certain rooms have better coverage than others) it will drain your battery quicker because it is constantly trying to connect. It made sense to me and so I switched to Wifi at home and my battery seems to last longer. Today I read a different article that states "The things that drain the most battery on any smartphone are Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, and your screen. So what is the verdict with regards to my situation?

aczaplicki

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If you are in wifi range and are connected it uses less battery. The article mentioned that wifi drains battery because if you are not connected and it is scanning that uses quite a but of battery.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

alpha752

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Using wifi in low 3g areas will help battery life.

Leaving wifi on when not connected will lower battery life.

When needed, use wifi. When not needed, turn wifi off.

javroch

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
As well, I *believe* if you turn off "Network notification" (in Settings > Wireless & network settings > Wi-Fi settings) it will turn off the periodic scanning for Wi-Fi and simply check when you turn on the Wi-Fi if any of your saved ones are in range.

I still manually turn off Wi-Fi when not in range of my router, but I believe it might not be as necessary with that option off.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely have wifi enabled when you are in range, unless you are going to airplane mode.

Worst case battery drain I encounter is away from wifi with the DX trying to maintain a cellular path, especially with a weak cell source, and really ugly when its switching back and forth to a roaming signal. I had a 30% drop in an hour this way, waiting in a Dr's office.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Conclusion: I get shorter battery life when I am on 3G at home because of weak signal. After setting it to Wi-Fi for a few days, I have noticed a significant increase in battery life. I had Pandora playing for about 6 hrs. and was expecting the battery to be significantly drained; To my amazement it dropped from 100% to 80% on Wifi.
:D

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a Droix X but most devices are indeed the same... regardless I turn wifi on and it indeed saves battery, what they are refering to is leaving wifi scanning for networks, just like your device scanning for mobile networks, it will consume the battery like a mother.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty