The Washing Machine and the Droid X

Site D

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I tried 4.8 first, gave me a big FAIL at the end of the update. Then tried 4.9, still the same. Used 2.3.15?, 2.3.320 and 2.3.340 sbf's, still no change. Maybe the X requires a different combination to make it work. I don't know if he updated the phone to .340, I know I got the OTA the day after I got mine activated.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I am confused, which 2.3.340 SBF are everyone reporting? All sites I have seen keep talking about 2.3.15 or the leaked 2.3.20. What link are everyone using that has been verified for 2.3.340 OTA?

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I would add the insurance to the account and wait about a week or so then call in for a claim. You'll pay about $50 or $60 out of pocket but at least he'll get a new phone. Tell the insurance company you dropped in the lake while ice fishing or something...

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I would add the insurance to the account and wait about a week or so then call in for a claim. You'll pay about $50 or $60 out of pocket but at least he'll get a new phone. Tell the insurance company you dropped in the lake while ice fishing or something...

I think you need to have the phone make a call or use data AFTER you add the insurance before you can file a claim.

I think the OP's son may have to go back to the BB.

After the CES and some of the new phones are announced and released, I'm sure there will be a glut of used Android phones on Craigs List and such. He may be able to pick one up for around $200.00 give or take....

Site D

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I had a little more success last night, ran 4.9 with full battery this time, got a success result running system only 2.3.340 sbf. But phone did not restart successfully, went right back to the bootloader screen. I think I have a brick (still). Should I wait for full version of 2.3.340 to come out?

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

Can you say "insurance fraud"?

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
You still have 30 days after purchase to buy the $7 a month insurance... go for it, then wait a few days and take it back for a replacement. :p

Even if it seams dry, it still might have residue from the detergent inside of the phone. Detergents have phosphates in them which are corrosive, in time your phone will die.

Worst case scenario, flush the phone out with isopropyl alcohol, which should remove all the detergent.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
If the device was still wet when powered for a prolonged time corrosion will take over. I've repaired many soaked laptops and some mobile phones. Alcohol will work great at displacing remaining water but will do little to clean the corrosive residue if the device was powered on. For most devices alchohol will do fine, but for those that were powered on too soon and allowed to corrode, the only solution I've found to work is to use MG Chemical's Super Wash Superwash Cleaner Degreaser available at your local Fry's for about $14 and you will need a toothbrush.
Remove the circuit boards, or at least separate them from the plastic and glass and douse them with the cleanser, look for corrosion and gently brush until it is clean.
If the corrosion is really bad and components begin to separate it may be fubar. You can look on eBay for another X that has physical damage other than water damage and combine the two.