Saving to the SDCARD Droid X2

ddawg187

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I have tried to read these posts about how to save music, images, videos, and any other media to the sdcard of a droid x2. Now, I'm confused.

Here is my problem and I'll keep it simple. Lets say I take a picture, it saves it to the internal memory even though I have it set to save the pic to the sdcard. I check my sdcard and sure enough the pic isn't saved there, but on the phone itself. This goes for video and music as well.

The only think I can figure out to do in order to not fill up the internal storage is to hook the phone up to the computer and manually drag all the new music, photos, and videos I take or get to the sdcard. I would rather the phone do that for me. I have a DCIM folder on the sdcard, but thats the only folder I have.

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this?

I need simple easy to understand explanations, as I'm not use to this new phone.

Thanks a bunch.

evilned

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Motorola did a really werid thing with the Droid X2. 4 gigs of storage are in /mnt/sd. the actual memory card is at /mnt/sd-ext

Mr One 2#AC

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I thought there was a pop up first time I used camera. Said sd card found, save pictures there. I am rooted and use a storage flip flop mod that switches the external and internal memory. You have to be rooted though.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
My phone was set to store pics on internal. It always has. Opened the camera, hit the menu button, settings, Storage Location, then changed it to SD Card. Exited out of camera and opened again (just to be safe), took a pic, exited out. Checked my file manager. The pics was on my SD card. So, not sure what the problem could be. Did you set it to save to SD card like I mentioned above?

If so, maybe go into Camera in Manage Apps and clear out cache, data, etc? Just a thought.

diz71266

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Thank Devinator..I had the exact same problem but that fixed it..seems kind of a simple fix but knowing when and where to hit the menu button can be daunting for a new user..One related question though:What about all the pictures taken prior to setting the option to save to card? Is there any way to copy or move those pics over to the card from the system memory?

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Thank Devinator..I had the exact same problem but that fixed it..seems kind of a simple fix but knowing when and where to hit the menu button can be daunting for a new user..One related question though:What about all the pictures taken prior to setting the option to save to card? Is there any way to copy or move those pics over to the card from the system memory?

Just use your file manager or plug your phone into a pc and drag and drop the pics to where you want remembering that internal storage is "sdcard" and the removable card is "sdcard-ext".

Sent from my stock DROID X2 using Tapatalk.

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Android has no standard for SD cards. The DX2 calls its internal memory the SD card. The removable card name varies from device to device. It could be sd-ext or ext-sd or SD_external, etc. Some software like DocstoGo won't even recognize the removable SD card on a DX2 when they would on a DX. Unfortunately, it makes removable memory almost useless on Android - and few people even know their SD is not the SD card.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Detached1

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
1. Tap 2. Scroll to and tap Files to open the file manager 3. Tap Internal phone storage 4. Scroll to the folder or file location to your desired file 5. Tap and hold the file,then choose Copy or Move 6. Press the back key and Tap the SD card 7. Scroll to the folder or file location where you want to place your desired file 8. Tap Paste here 9. Your file has been placed into your other storage location

CBRRAH03

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Mr. One 2, or anyone else, can you tell me about the storage flip flop mod I can use to solve this problem? This crazy way Moto has of doing memory has my DX2 at a standstill and my 16GB card useless.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Mr. One 2, or anyone else, can you tell me about the storage flip flop mod I can use to solve this problem? This crazy way Moto has of doing memory has my DX2 at a standstill and my 16GB card useless.

What exactly is your problem? I have no issues utilizing my internal storage, or my SD card, from my phone, or when hooked up to my computer. What are you trying to do, and, what is the problem you are running into?

x1sspic

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
What exactly is your problem? I have no issues utilizing my internal storage, or my SD card, from my phone, or when hooked up to my computer. What are you trying to do, and, what is the problem you are running into?

I think the problem he is complaining about is the way the memory is managed. Because the internal storage is labeled as "sdcard" and the actual sd card labeled "sdcard-ext" all the software set to save to sd card automatically saves to "sdcard" (which is internal memory) rather than "sdcard-ext." Some software have settings where you can manually set the save to directory and force it to actually save to the SD card. Other software does not. For example, attachments downloaded from gmail (and other email programs like Yahoo) save to a download directory on the INTERNAL memory rather than the SD card. Yes, it is quite easy to move files over later - but it would be nice if this could be fixed!!!!!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I think the problem he is complaining about is the way the memory is managed. Because the internal storage is labeled as "sdcard" and the actual sd card labeled "sdcard-ext" all the software set to save to sd card automatically saves to "sdcard" (which is internal memory) rather than "sdcard-ext." Some software have settings where you can manually set the save to directory and force it to actually save to the SD card. Other software does not. For example, attachments downloaded from gmail (and other email programs like Yahoo) save to a download directory on the INTERNAL memory rather than the SD card. Yes, it is quite easy to move files over later - but it would be nice if this could be fixed!!!!!

Hmm, I dunno that I buy this. Your example for gmail doesn't seem to hold. I couldn't find any setting in gmail that directs the app where to save your attachments. Unless I missed it, that is, which is definitely possible. If I am right though, and, there is no setting for this, then it's functioning properly. Can you give another example of an app saving to internal storage just because internal memory has a label of sdcard? I just find it hard to believe that the phone can't distinguish between the two just because of the name of the folder.

Additionally, I find it unlikely that every app that has ever been developed always looks for some universally named folder sdcard. And, I find it unlikely that all phone manufacturers have a standard naming convention of sdcard for the SD card.

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
there are a bunch of apps that are supposed to save to sd that do it incorrectly because of this weird naming of the exterier sd card. App Backup & Restore is one of them. All the data is saved on the interal sd folder. Several games do this wrong as well. These apps all performed correctly on the DX but when I got the DX2, they all wrote internally because of the file system naming.

next time your phone is connected to the computer go thru settings and detach the sd card. you'll notice you have access to the sd card folder still.

Im astonished this isn't a standardized setting and really pissed me off because I have to manually back everything up.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
there are a bunch of apps that are supposed to save to sd that do it incorrectly because of this weird naming of the exterier sd card. App Backup & Restore is one of them. All the data is saved on the interal sd folder. Several games do this wrong as well. These apps all performed correctly on the DX but when I got the DX2, they all wrote internally because of the file system naming.

next time your phone is connected to the computer go thru settings and detach the sd card. you'll notice you have access to the sd card folder still.

Im astonished this isn't a standardized setting and really pissed me off because I have to manually back everything up.

Is App Backup & Restore installed on the SD card when you have this issue? I have all my apps installed on my phone, I see no reason not to, so, I have never had a chance to experience this issue. But, I have yet to have an issue with an app not correctly storing files on SD. I don't do it much, but, no issues so far. Not that that proves that it doesn't happen.

I just did this and was unable to access the SD card. I did a search for sd and it came up with nothing. If it's there, I couldn't find it. However, when I use MoboPlayer to browse for a file, if I go up a level in the directory, I do get to a place where I can see sdcard and sdcard-ext. So, I know that that structure exists, but, I can't see it on my computer. My computer is just mounting from the point of sdcard, and, it was impossible to go up a level.

Agreed, storage and data access seems like it would be important enough to need to be standardized. It seems like there are some strange ways of doing storage out there, that just don't seem to make any sense. Unless the internal storage of the X2 is in fact an SD card, I dunno why they'd name it that. Or, with the Galaxy S II, why is one storage area called USB, that doesn't make any sense. So, I completely agree, standards were needed here.

grnsl2

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

This should answer your specific question.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1229294&highlight=flip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty