Mikooster

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
The Droid and 2.2

It seems like Moto and Verizon just managed to get us 2.1 and already 2.2 is coming out soon. The milestone I believe JUST got 2.1.

Do you think we'll get getting 2.2, or will it be months? I might be up for a new phone before 2.2 ever gets pushed to Droid, if it ever does. With the 2.1 fiasco, I'm worried they will just give up and do a 1 upgrade-per-phone policy.

On a tangent, I really think Android needs a way to manually update your device like the iPhone. I realize the complications of this due to not every Android phone being identical like the iPhone, but there could be SOME way...

Pipester

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
No one knows when the Droid will be getting 2.2. There is the Google IO conference and when that goes down we MIGHT get a better idea.

While it would be nice to have 2.2 in the very near future its not worth worrying about yet, especially because we don't know for sure what it will bring to us (aside from flash).

There are ways to manually update. DL the file from Google when they post it and save it to your SD card as update.zip. Plain and simple.

anaphora68

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
How about being patient? Google hasn't even officially announced 2.2.

The binaries will be released to the developers and manufacturers shortly after I/O. Motorola has to basically re-tool 2.2 so it works correctly with the Droid (hardware, baseband, etc), and then get Verizon to approve it and make sure it won't single-handedly destroy their network.

All of this takes time.

If you're that eager for 2.2, I would suggest rooting. To be honest, I can wait for stock 2.2. 2.1 does what I need it to do, and if what everyone is saying is true, the optimizations in 2.2 are worth a month or two of waiting.

The iPhone OS is not universally applied. There are currently three hardware revisions out there, and there is another one coming. Apple releases similar packages, but each version is different based on hardware. Apple just controls the whole ecosystem.

Verizon won't do a 1 upgrade per phone deal. They are playing their cards pretty smartly with Android, I couldn't see them shooting themselves in the foot that way.

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
No one knows when the Droid will be getting 2.2. There is the Google IO conference and when that goes down we MIGHT get a better idea.

While it would be nice to have 2.2 in the very near future its not worth worrying about yet, especially because we don't know for sure what it will bring to us (aside from flash).

There are ways to manually update. DL the file from Google when they post it and save it to your SD card as update.zip. Plain and simple.

No I think he means like a version without needing the carrier hammering it down.
Like can't they just release it to us

G

GenericMessage

Google did announce that they'd be handling all updates starting near the end of the year. So no worries

G

GenericMessage

Wow, really? That's awesome... not sure how I missed that one

It was a quiet little part of a larger conversation. They were just addressing concerns of some serious product fragmentation that could/is happen/ing.

G

GenericMessage

Yea hopefully it does happen. I don't wanna wait on Moto + VZW again.

Well consider that google likes to control what theyre doing. Think about what they have their hands in currently:

Web space
Advertising
Medical Records
Social networking
Travel (GPS)
Mapping
TWO operating systems
Photo management
Largest video website
Web search (largest)
Nuclear power (yes, this one is indeed a fact)
Soon to be hardware
A Web browser
And is worth over 23BILLION. Thats $23,000,000,000 (as of Oct 2007) and 153BILLION in Oct of 09. Thats $153,000,000,000

Something tells me they should handle all our updates from now on ;) And I look forward to it.

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
Well consider that google likes to control what theyre doing. Think about what they have their hands in currently:

Web space
Advertising
Medical Records
Social networking
Travel (GPS)
Mapping
TWO operating systems
Photo management
Largest video website
Web search (largest)
Nuclear power (yes, this one is indeed a fact)
Soon to be hardware
A Web browser
And is worth over 23BILLION. Thats $23,000,000,000 (as of Oct 2007) and 153BILLION in Oct of 09. Thats $153,000,000,000

Something tells me they should handle all our updates from now on ;) And I look forward to it.

Definitely. I trust Google to handle this over any other company.

PortareAF

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
While 2.2 would be nice, If you are the primary number on your account, you will be able to upgrade you phone in a year, and based on the Droid launch date that means we will all be ready for our upgrade around November... So based on what we learned on 2.1... Lets do some math..

2.1 was launched on the Nexus One on Jan 5th, but the SDK launched Jan 12, so lets go with the 12th
2.1 for Droid was launched March 30th so call it about 3 months..

So lets say 2.2 updates to the Nexus One (because it will be getting it first make no mistake) Best case scenario end of June...3 months from them, when the Droid got the update of 2.1 would be End of September so you get about 2 months out of 2.2 before you get a new phone...Sweet!

Latin559

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
with 2.2 about to be released, im wondering how many of you will be leaving root to install...

me im def going to unroot to install this. and depending on the speed i might just stay unrooted. the main reason why i rooted was for the extra speed.

IMO every rom is basically looking identical as the rest now. and nothing new is being brought out.

thoughts?

area52

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
My thought is that just because its getting announced and released to developers this week, doesn't mean the general public is getting an OTA. It will take months for VZW to push it to the masses. IMO you have a better chance getting 2.2 quickly when your rooted. rooted folks had 2.1 back in Dec or Jan while not rooted had to wait until just recently. I'm staying rooted