HTC Keyboard on Droid?

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has tried this or done this at all by any chance?

Well I have and well not sure what I think at all and if I like it.
It looks crappy, which I mainly feel is because of the resolution and screen size of the Hero/Eris is way less than the Droid. Thus the reason for the pixelated crappy looking resolution.

Second is that when in landscape the keyboard is like 3/4 the screen. Which again I assume is because of the screen size of the Hero/Eris.

Either way though I have it installed on my Droid and I like the Phone Style keyboard option with T9 and reminds me of my BB days with the Pearl and kind of like the SureType on my Storm 1. Have not used it to much since I just installed it. I may end up going back to the default Android keyboard since it looks pretty and not pixelated and grainy.

Would take a screenshot or screen capture but have yet to figure out how to do so on the Droid.....dang it why cant I use CaptureIt :p

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
In case anyone is interested in putting it on here are the resources and links I used.
Both Articles tell you how to do it without having to root your phone

First one was from the andronica article

Second was from the allshadow article

Both pretty much the same

1) Need File Manager Astro installed
2) Download the HTC_IME.apk and Clicker.apk I ended up doing a google search for both of them to get the download links. Here is where I got them. Saved them to my computer

Download: http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/apps/HTC_IME.apk
MD5Sum: 1a2e9587cc2a0d0339050eb628b5e19d

If you want to use the calibration feature:

Download: http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/apps/Clicker.apk
MD5Sum: 80776f4befd19b9253b5427796bf370f

3) Copied them over to my downloads folder on my SD Card
4) Ran Astro and browsed to the files and clicked to install (Go to Settings > Applications and check the box for ?Unknown Sources? )
5) And you are done

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I actually uninstalled it since it was just killing my eyes.

Guess we will have to wait for something else then. Oh well it was worth a shot at least. also did not sit right at all with the auto correction word. The auto corrected words would be over the typing box so you really could not see what you were typing which was also very annoying.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I just downloaded from the marketplace "better Keyboard" The software keyboard is now as good as the one on my Imagio! It cost 3 bux, but well worth it!

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
what are the benefits to the "better keyboard" app? i've been thinking about it, but i'm 90% satisfied with the current soft keyboard...

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
what are the benefits to the "better keyboard" app? i've been thinking about it, but i'm 90% satisfied with the current soft keyboard...

A LOT better text correction for me! I have big, fat fingers though....lol! Text correction is almost perfect for me now.

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
What version of the keyboards do they have?
It has a couple other different versions of keyboards that you can choose from in portrait mode correct?

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I think there is a suretype style (blackberry) and a t-9. But not needed IMHO. I use qwerty in portrait no problem now!!!!!

Last edited:

elemeno0pee

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I downloaded better keyboard and I don't really see what the big deal is? i grabbed like 8-10 skins and they were all ugly. does anyone know of a skin that doesn't show the damn symbols above the letters? that's what i like most about the default android keyboard.