Google Talk Disconnect Issue

msf316

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Ok so i just got my Droid Friday and so far i hate it. I used to own a Storm Blackberry, which wasn't the best either but it was great at doing simple things.

My biggest issue with the droid is Instant Messaging. No doubt blackberry has the best IM out there (my girlfriend still has her BB). Anyway so we are trying google talk and it just disconnects when i leave the phone sit for a while. I tried other IM likes Ebuddy, Meebo, and Nimbuzz. but they all seem to have some kind of defect, like no auto correction (very annoying) or no file sharing, or can't change my display name and shows my long as* email instead.

Also the qwerty keyboard sucks pointless in my opinion. Hard to use and the top letters are hard to hit(fat thumbs lol). anyway, anyone know how i can resolve my IM issue?? google talk SUCKS BIG TIME!!

thanks!

CavemanOOGA

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
So, what exactly do you need help with? Title says "Need help ASAP", yet all i read is a bunch of bitching...

Oh never mind there IS a questions in there, my opinion? Go back to your BBerry...why have a phone you seem to be hating so much?

msf316

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
So, what exactly do you need help with? Title says "Need help ASAP", yet all i read is a bunch of bitching...

Oh never mind there IS a questions in there, my opinion? Go back to your BBerry...why have a phone you seem to be hating so much?

take it easy boy!!! I guess i need help with a better IM program and a way to solve the google talk issue. i've had for about three days so i am giving it a chance. and i am thinking of going back to the blackberry unless i get this working.

CavemanOOGA

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
take it easy boy!!! I guess i need help with a better IM program and a way to solve the google talk issue. i've had for about three days so i am giving it a chance. and i am thinking of going back to the blackberry unless i get this working.

Sorry boss, no harm meant. I just pegged you for being one of those "expect everything to be perfect cause I own it" type, but now i see that you seem to be willing to give it a chance. My apologies.

This may not help the situation, but, for the hell of it, i would try a factory reset. Whenever i run GTalk it never logs me out unless i turn if off through the Battery Use program in the settings. So this baffles me a wee bit honestly...

msf316

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Well i google the problem and there is a bunch of people having the same issue. For some reason g talk seems to go idle and the other users can't IM because it says i am logged off which is not true. But once i activate the screen again i show as being logged in and i can start receiving messages.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Lets play nice guys...

I have yet to hear of Google Talk disconnecting. There is an option to set to away or idle when you get out of the app instead of staying available. You sure this is not your issue?

*Also in the future it's good to have a title with your issue in it rather than a simple "help me" type subject. ;)

msf316

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Lets play nice guys...

I have yet to hear of Google Talk disconnecting. There is an option to set to away or idle when you get out of the app instead of staying available. You sure this is not your issue?

*Also in the future it's good to have a title with your issue in it rather than a simple "help me" type subject. ;)

how can i check this?

visualplastik

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Did you try going in to google talk's settings? Menu > More > Settings
There is 'automatically sign in' and 'automatic away status'?

Qwerty is ok, I don't think I could ever blind-type with it. But theres a few good virtual alternatives out there.

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
you know.. i had been wondering about this. i have mine set to never put me away (even if the screen is off)... and as far as I know i never sign off. however, my girlfriend also has a droid, and we use gtalk (rather than texting) and i notice she signs off/on quite often. I'm fairly sure she has hers set to show her away when her screen is off though -- so that's probably the culprit.

msf316

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
well still didn't work. But i have nimbuzz now which i can probably live with. ALso anyone using slacker radio or pandora? mine skips everytime i get a message. boooo!

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Last fm skips too. I found if I have the ringer volume turned up loud enough, it plays the ringtone in that skip, though its really faint. So I think that skip might actually be by design.

johnatthebar

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I have major connection issues with Google talk. Not just when idle, even mdi conversation sometimes. Kinda blows my mind that my BB had no issues with Google talk, but my Android phone, with software developed by Google, does.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
My Google Talk doesnt disconnect...it just tells the other person I'm talking to that I'm offline...

Or it will say that they are offline...

I dont know which end this issue is on. My girlfriend has a Blackberry Tour so I'm not sure if its her phone or mine.

msf316

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
My Google Talk doesnt disconnect...it just tells the other person I'm talking to that I'm offline...

I dont know which end this issue is on. My girlfriend has a Blackberry Tour so I'm not sure if its her phone or mine.

well same here. My girl has the same phone and it tells he i am logged off and she can't send messages while i am logged (which i am not). anyway so now she is using the free version of beejive for now but yeah, i never had an issue with my blackberry. Hope it get fixed soon because its annoying. and the skipping on pandora and slacker too. I get like 30 messages in 5mins and i miss the whole song :(

CrackberryMike

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

In the last few days I have had the same issue but believe it is related to the google servers; I say that because I'm getting more disconnect errors from my Tour than from the DRoid.

D-LuX

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I wish I could get my google talk to not be active ALL the time! SO I have the opposite problem... how do i get it to stop running all the time.. even when i close i down, a few hours later, it's running again!

shovelheadhd

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I have been having a problem with google talk as well. I have a droid and my wife has a blackberry. I thought it could have been her blackberry since the BIS was down but my other contact that has a cliq is also having problems sending me messages. I will show offline on his and he will show offline for me.