Ramblings of a rookie. LONG READ...

Mr Mayor

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Droid rookie ~2 weeks I think...I dunno, they blend. Here's some things I'd like to see addressed the "next time around".... Feel free to correct or reply as u see fit....just be kind.

Dear DROID makers,

1) Fix the frikkin headset issue already! Every single phone call I make in my vehicle is ILLEGAL thanks to you. I shouldn't have to touch my phone, EVER. WTF are you waiting for? Where's my PLEASE SAY A COMMAND girl!?!?

2) Speaking of which, VOICE DIAL? Is this some sort of joke? I would say it's accurate MAYBE 25% of the time. I don't have a lisp, or a speech impediment or some thick accent... Yet somehow, CALL VIRGINIA MOBILE seems to want to always CALL LITTLE ERNIE MOBILE or CALL GLO MOBILE (GLO? Seriously, I ask my phone if it's fvkn r3tirdead 10 times a day, it has yet to answer FTR..) Sometimes, for giggles, I'll hit the button and burp into it, to see who it thinks I should call.. (I feel bad for my sister in law, she seems to come up alot this way, :p CALL KIMBERLY WORK WORK) Sorry, rambling.....

3) There is no 3 !

4) Why must my phone be on when I charge it? Do you know what a FERRARI sounds like at 2AM? LOUD... REALLY LOUD!!!. Yes, I've learned to switch off ringers thanku.

5) Screen sensitivity since installing privacy screen, holy crap is it worse... If a butterfly flapped its wings in Mississsippi, my phone would pick it up in New Jersey. DAMN! (That's adjustable somewhere, right?)

6) Amazing how bad some of the apps out there are.... how buggy (Mobila (sp) ringer anyone?) Jeezycreezy, I was out tonite and really got to spend time with my Droid (seriously, I was watching the Devils get killed (by the Rangers and inside of 2 minutes 3 goals were scored, so I decided my Droid was more entertaining).. I must have frozen 25 times tonite to force close. I had another ringer app at one point, and have a feeling I'm going back.

7) When I plug in my USB cord to my "flaming Shuttle" PC, do I have to "mount the drive?" (Ewww that came out wrong).. IS this WINDOWS NT? or LINUX in here? Why can I only view like 5 almost empty folders? I wanna tinker a LITTLE without ROOTING it (Is that what its called?)

8) Lastly, I want to make a few ringtones. I did it on my old Voyager easy. I like beginnings of songs for ringers.. and I could easily create and upload them.. I have about 30 stored on PC, but can't find an easy way to move them to my phone.. Assist anyone?

So there you have it... ramblings of a rookie... some of this was in anger over the Devils losing to the Rangers, granted, but most of it was just a gathering of thoughts put to paper errrrrr PC. If you feel the need to reply, be gentle.. While the phone continues to grow on me, it has a looong way to go for me to be in love with it.
Sorry for the long read,,

MM

dcarlton35

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Some resolution.

Droid rookie ~2 weeks I think...I dunno, they blend. Here's some things I'd like to see addressed the "next time around".... Feel free to correct or reply as u see fit....just be kind.

Dear DROID makers,

1) Fix the frikkin headset issue already! Every single phone call I make in my vehicle is ILLEGAL thanks to you. I shouldn't have to touch my phone, EVER. WTF are you waiting for? Where's my PLEASE SAY A COMMAND girl!?!?

2) Speaking of which, VOICE DIAL? Is this some sort of joke? I would say it's accurate MAYBE 25% of the time. I don't have a lisp, or a speech impediment or some thick accent... Yet somehow, CALL VIRGINIA MOBILE seems to want to always CALL LITTLE ERNIE MOBILE or CALL GLO MOBILE (GLO? Seriously, I ask my phone if it's fvkn r3tirdead 10 times a day, it has yet to answer FTR..) Sometimes, for giggles, I'll hit the button and burp into it, to see who it thinks I should call.. (I feel bad for my sister in law, she seems to come up alot this way, :p CALL KIMBERLY WORK WORK) Sorry, rambling.....

3) There is no 3 !

4) Why must my phone be on when I charge it? Do you know what a FERRARI sounds like at 2AM? LOUD... REALLY LOUD!!!. Yes, I've learned to switch off ringers thanku.

5) Screen sensitivity since installing privacy screen, holy crap is it worse... If a butterfly flapped its wings in Mississsippi, my phone would pick it up in New Jersey. DAMN! (That's adjustable somewhere, right?)

6) Amazing how bad some of the apps out there are.... how buggy (Mobila (sp) ringer anyone?) Jeezycreezy, I was out tonite and really got to spend time with my Droid (seriously, I was watching the Devils get killed (by the Rangers and inside of 2 minutes 3 goals were scored, so I decided my Droid was more entertaining).. I must have frozen 25 times tonite to force close. I had another ringer app at one point, and have a feeling I'm going back.

7) When I plug in my USB cord to my "flaming Shuttle" PC, do I have to "mount the drive?" (Ewww that came out wrong).. IS this WINDOWS NT? or LINUX in here? Why can I only view like 5 almost empty folders? I wanna tinker a LITTLE without ROOTING it (Is that what its called?)

8) Lastly, I want to make a few ringtones. I did it on my old Voyager easy. I like beginnings of songs for ringers.. and I could easily create and upload them.. I have about 30 stored on PC, but can't find an easy way to move them to my phone.. Assist anyone?

So there you have it... ramblings of a rookie... some of this was in anger over the Devils losing to the Rangers, granted, but most of it was just a gathering of thoughts put to paper errrrrr PC. If you feel the need to reply, be gentle.. While the phone continues to grow on me, it has a looong way to go for me to be in love with it.
Sorry for the long read,,

MM

No problem on the long read.

To start off, I will answer #8 first since that is the easiest to answer. You can create your own ringtones right from the Droid by getting an app called Ringdroid. You set the places to create the ringtone and save it.

For #7, once you connect the Droid to your PC through the USB, you do have to "mount" the phone so it becomes a portable drive listed in My Computer. You will have several folders as you use the phone. If there is not a folder named "Media", create one. Under that, you will create folders called "Alarms", "Ringtones", and "Notifications". Once you have those set, then go back to where you see the "Media" folder and create another couple of folders called "Music" and "Pictures". These should be self explanatory. For the folders that you placed inside "Media", you will put the songs or tones that you want for those situations. For example, "Alarms" for alarms, etc.

For #6, there are thousands of apps in the marketplace and some of them will be bad. The best recommendation I can make is to read the reviews and do some research on those apps before installing so you know what to expect from what other users have experienced. Here are a few apps that are good apps and free. First, Astro File Manager acts similar to Windows Explorer when you look at the folders and files. Next is Google Skymap. You can point your phone up to the sky and see the various constellations and planets. There is Layar which uses your camera and if there is information about what you are pointing your camera at, it will give information about it, like landmarks and such. Locale is another. It sets dynamic settings for your phone. For example, if you arrive to work, you can have it automatically set your phone to vibrate and when you leave, it returns to normal. There are a lot of different customizations for that app. I could go on and on but there are quite a few and there are other forums for the different top used apps available to Android.

As for #1, that is a feature that a lot of people are missing and are getting impatient to have available because of local laws cracking down on cell phone usage while driving so I am anticipating when that feature becomes available.

#2, the voice dialing should be working as I have yet to see any problems with what I have seen but I believe you when you said earlier about speak impediments and such so I don't know what to say about that.

#5, screen sensitivity should not have increased since you put the privacy screen on it as the touch screen is heat sensitive so you may need to see about your environment for that but it should increase for adding the extra layer of protection.

and lastly, #4, it shouldn't need to be on to charge but to turn it off, you have to hold down the power/lock button until a message pops up with an option to shut down.

I am sorry myself for the long reply but I hope this helps some.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Yes those were a couple of really long reads... Mr Mayor, you're have the same problems and concerns as the rest of us.

Another option for ringtones is to download Mabilo Ringtones from the market place. I recommend it. Its easy to use and has a ton of music on it.

Your phone should not be freezing like you say it does. I wonder if you have an app that might be effecting that. I could be on my phone for hours and it's fine.

Mr Mayor

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
@ DA6, can't say I didn't warn ya.. :p

@ Carlton, YOU ROCK!! :cool: Can you be a little more specific with folder paths so I dont blow this thing up?

@ EricatoMars: As for downloads: I only have (looking)
Flashlight, Barcode, Sports-tap and Weather Channel so far, and then a few last night, Traffic cams, and Food finder.. I'm downloading the others you reccomended as well, the auto select ringer is smart. And MABILO is the ringer thing that froze all night for the record.. I knew I had the name wrong... :eek:

#4- More: It turns itself ON when charging... that's just dumb.
#2 You saying yours is OK? I think right now the issue MIGHT be it IGNORE my FAVORITES??? Is that possible? Anyone?
#5 Screen is heat sensitive? Oh. Then it must by alter ego, Mr Heatmiser.. I can look past that..

Thanks for the help all.....

MM
(Yeah! 10 posts)

Last edited:

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Just a question, if your phone is off all night why do you need to charge it? Give it a full charge, unplug, turn off and go to sleep.

Mr Mayor

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
@ Entwined82... hmm, I'm just saying why not charge it while it's off? I run it to near-death THEN charge it... I am doing what you do now anyway....

MM

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
all the caps and bold and strange words on top of its length make it a near impossible read. Enjoy your phone, but it's not looking for love :)

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
@ Entwined82... hmm, I'm just saying why not charge it while it's off? I run it to near-death THEN charge it... I am doing what you do now anyway....

MM

Probably because in this day and age a lot of people count on their cell phone as their only means of communication. I haven't had a land line in ages. My phone is on 24/7 unless I have to pop the battery out for whatever reason or if I'm flying..but even then I usually put it into Plane mode.

I've seen a lot of phones that do what you want, I just never thought of it as a feature that had to be on the phone. If anything I prefer the opposite.
At least you have a workaround though.

Mr Mayor

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
all the caps and bold and strange words on top of its length make it a near impossible read. Enjoy your phone, but it's not looking for love :)

That's because as a forum rookie here, I wasn't initially permitted to use smileys to convey emotion. Hope it's OK now that I can. :confused:

Entwined... I will never really on a hand held device as a "life" line, too easily lost/broken/stolen. To each his own, workaround is good.

MM

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
its a phone dude, lose the emotion. but i must say, if these are the only problems in your life, then a good life you have, so enjoy.

anyways to be honest you'll get much better help and responses if you refrain from writing a novel that is tough to read and filled with jokes and stuff, that's all im saying.

Last edited:

Mr Mayor

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Did you happen to see the warning message in the subject field of my post? The one about "Long read" and "Ramblings" ? ..Awfully nice of you to share your advice about the Droid like that too. Thanks!

MM

G

GenericMessage

You do know that with the droid, you can make a mp3 a ringtone without an app. Right from the music player, hit the menu button, click "set as ringtone."

And you must be confused. You assume this forum is somehow owned and operated by google/motorolla/verizon wireless/ and the open handset alliance.

Last time i checked its ran by Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. right?

Mr Mayor

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Knew about "set as", and yes, I knew about the non-affiliation with VZ/Google/M .. It was more of a rambling, an open letter..ya know?

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I have nothing to add except for that that Devils game was terrible. Lundquist played amazing but with Kovy, we should not be having scoring issues.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Just commenting on a couple of things. For several of your items, apps will take care of your issues. A lot of people new to Android seem to overlook that for some reason and assume that Android should be specifically tailored for them out-of-the-box.

I think it should charge either way but if you don't want alerts at night then check into apps to schedule your notifications or something like Profiles to quickly change your notifications.

6) Amazing how bad some of the apps out there are....
Is it? Every platform has good and bad apps.

You don't have to mount unless you want access to the contents of the SD card. Keep in mind that your SD card isn't accessible to the Droid when mounted. If you want to automount then get an app for it.

What are you expecting to view on the SD card? You're only going to see what's on the card. It's not going to show you what's in the phone memory.

Last edited:

jameyhowell73

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmmm well I have added my old ringers I made from Bitpim to EnvyTouch now to DROID and in the folders as described above... nada. They don't appear. They are just MP3's. Any suggestions ? Thx for any help. -James

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87