Goodbye Triumph, Hello LG Optimus Elite

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I was going to post this in an LG Optimus Elite forum, but I don't see one.

I had been using the Motorola Triumph for the past 2-odd months, having used the LG Optimus V prior. Larger screen aside, I was NOT happy when all was said & done. I decided to get the LG Optimus Elite (basically an updated LG Optimus V) and could not be happier. To wit:

(1) The GPS on theTriumph took FOREVER and I mean FOREVER to lock on (or, as I call it, "get a lock"), easily 2 minutes, and it required you to stop the car & hold it up to the sky outside the car. In one extreme case, it seriously took 30 minutes to lock on. (Yes, 30 minutes!) I can't count how many times I screamed "get a f**king lock!!!" It was so bad, I bought a Garmin Nuvi & used it instead, and I had never owned a stand-alone GPS before ever.

The V would easily get one in 5-10 seconds, even though I leave GPS (via the power widget) turned off & only turn it on when I open up Google Maps. I tried the Elite tonight, same thing--it INSTANTLY locked on.

(2) Voice quality. I live in the boonies, I had to repeat myself over & over and people were always complaining about my voice "echoing," they never did with the Optimus V. So far the Elite seems like the V--much clearer.

(3) Random screen non-responsiveness. Either back or home on the Triumph was prone to randomly stop responding to any feedback. So far, no problem on the Elite, just as their never was on the V. (However, home & menu swapped places, I have to get used to that.)

As an added bonus, of course the Elite has Android 2.3 Gingerbread, and it seems like a nice little upgrade to 2.2 Froyo. Also, while I don't value thin if it means short battery life, in & of itself I do like its thin profile.

I sold my Triumph today on Craiglist for $140, and was glad to spend the $140 for a new Elite in its place. So far, I am MUCH happier. Now, time to get some spare batteries (from New 2X 1500mah Battery + USB AC Charger For Sprint LG Optimus Elite LS696 | eBay).

triumphme

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Idk what ppl talk about GPS mines always worked fine smooth I have a optimus q and it was 180 the triumph dogs it with cm7 what ever floats your boat tho Ltd a significant down grade

Sent from my WX435 using Android Central Forums

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to agree with triumphme. Of course I had the samsung intercept as my first VM phone and jumped straight to the Triumph.

I do also use CM7.2, but many people wouldn't want to root and install a custom ROM(although you are sacrificing some ponypower).

I was disappointed at the specs of this new release, after all someone had shared a rumor that we'd be getting a dual core. :p

Even so, Android remembers your last GPS position and whatnot(something they discussed on the Android Central podcast) because all androids take FOREVER to signal-lock. So they remember about where you are from the last time you connected so if you're trying to connect in a whole bunch of different places, you're gonna have issues.

So I generally ensure if I'm going to use GPS that I turn it on at home. I have used it about 100 miles away from home and it didn't take terribly long to lock(w/GPS 100% off beforehand). I google mapped my location first and made it give me a mapped direction from "my location" to where I want to go, then click navigation. But then again, that IS what I've had to do with the intercept. ^///^;" 'm just sticking with the methods that I know WORK.

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes (triumphme) I possibly could've remedied the problems noted by rooting the Triumph with CM7 or whatever, but I never felt like investing the "mental energy" & aggravation in doing so. I like for the device to basically "just work" right out the box, with minimal tweaking (although "rooting" it so I can make system image backups would appeal to me). Plus, although I don't talk on the phone that much, I do some, and people could hardly hear a word I was saying.

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
A quick fix for that would be get a headset. I listen to music a lot, so I have mic'ed earbuds and nobody ever really has trouble hearing me even then, even when I'm in a busy machine shop. Plus I can also hear others better. I did have problems before in my car with a friend not hearing me but the headset fixed this problem(I had her on speaker so I could hear her and she got a ton of her own feedback).

That aside, it keeps nasty ear stuff off your phone, which my friend Paul and I deemed much more important than any other reason for that xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy