Can We get Blur camera to do Mp4?

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
So I shot some video w/ the AOSP camera and that was done in Mp4 format. and when I installed the blur camera the videos are now done in 3GPP format.

Is it possible to use the Mp4 format on the Blur camera?

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
So I shot some video w/ the AOSP camera and that was done in Mp4 format. and when I installed the blur camera the videos are now done in 3GPP format.

Is it possible to use the Mp4 format on the Blur camera?

I believe that stock app isnt optimized or have the codacs to support the mp4 format, and I would say that it does not because mp4 requires more resource to capture smoothly but 3pg is a looser codac that can capture smoother with a mobile processor..

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I believe that stock app isnt optimized or have the codacs to support the mp4 format, and I would say that it does not because mp4 requires more resource to capture smoothly but 3pg is a looser codac that can capture smoother with a mobile processor..

The AOSP camera in liberty did a video for me in the Mp4 format. I noticed that the Mp4 format has a faster frame rate than 3gP format.

Last edited:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The AOSP camera in liberty did a video for me in the Mp4 format. I noticed that the Mp4 format has a faster frame rate than 3GPP format.

Mp4 has a faster rending rate but when capturing video it required a heavy load on the device, dvd is mp4 format encoded to vobs for maximum quality, but if you use a capture device the device not only have to handle the conversion on video at high frames as well as encoding audio to acc format that is both system intensive and also you cant forget that mp4 requires more storage space.... A 2 hour movie could easily take 4 to 5 gigs, where the same video in 3gp can be 1 gig at similar resolution.

Last edited:
Reactions: JkdJedi

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Mp4 has a faster rending rate but when capturing video it required a heavy load on the device, dvd is mp4 format encoded to vobs for maximum quality, but if you use a capture device the device not only have to handle the conversion on video at high frames as well as encoding audio to aacc format that is both system intensive and also you cant forget that mp4 requires more storage space.... A 2 hour movie could easily take 4 to 5 gigs, where the same video in 3gp can be 1 gig at similar resolution.

Thanks Wildman! Some good info there, Maybe I'll stick with the 3gP Blur camera then.....(AOSP Mp4 vs. Blur 3Gp......?????????):):):)

nebnostod

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Actually, when you do a side by side comparison of the two codecs on the DX you'll see that MP4 takes up about half of the space of 3GP at relatively the same quality.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
3GP an implementation of MPEG-4 Part 12 similar to MP4. It uses .3gp and .3g2 extensions. These files also store non-MPEG-4 data (H.263, AMR, TX3G).

You can make either one as BIG or small as you want. Granted the compression for H.264 is a bit more intensive.

a DVD is NOT MP4 at all it is MPEG-2

MP4 has nothing to do with VOBs

MPEG-4 Part 14 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
VOB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are absolutely correct, that is my mistake :confused:.... I research so much stuff that at times mistakes happen... My bad. :-!:)

Actually, when you do a side by side comparison of the two codecs on the DX you'll see that MP4 takes up about half of the space of 3GP at relatively the same quality.

Since my brain was thinking of MPEG-2 instead of MPEG4 your statement is pretty much correct

Now with that said, back to question the stock camera app will not support mp4 capture because the limited codac support and that was the reason for my response. I had a old age moment... :D

Last edited:

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

I did notice that the mp4 had a faster frame rate (11fps vs. 3-5fps) , yet hardly noticeable comparing the two. Looking for the BEST quality you would think that the faster frame rate would be the way to go. My interest in this is that i would like to take the movies that I have captured on my DX and put them in Windows Movie Maker to edit them to a nice little package to upload to You Tube. Windows Movie Maker does not support Mp4 or 3gp.

Is there a program out there that can do this without converting them to comply with Microsoft?

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I did notice that the mp4 had a faster frame rate (11fps vs. 3-5fps) , yet hardly noticeable comparing the two. Looking for the BEST quality you would think that the faster frame rate would be the way to go. My interest in this is that i would like to take the movies that I have captured on my DX and put them in Windows Movie Maker to edit them to a nice little package to upload to You Tube. Windows Movie Maker does not support Mp4 or 3gp.

Is there a program out there that can do this without converting them to comply with Microsoft?

If you just want to convert file to mp4 or 3gp check out DVD Catalyst 4 at DVD Catalyst 4 | Tools4Movies - Home of DVD Catalyst, it can convert to multiple formats, I convert to mp4 with it to play on my device because I use the HDMI cable a lot to play videos on a number of tvs, I have played on 50 inch plasma with perfect quality.