Newbie ROM questions

techjpo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I apologize in advance if this should be posted elsewere. Have been looking for ROM FAQ but didnt see one. I am considering the Liberty 1.5 ROM or maybe Rubix but have some questions. I currently have my X rooted, overclocked to 1.2, removed a lot of bloatware(.bak) and run ADW(with notifier and a theme). I feel like my phone is snappy with no real lag. I live by my gmail(2 accounts), an exchange account, google voice, google talk, camera/ v.camera and wireless tether. Do I gain anything by installing Liberty/Rubix and will all of these things still works as they have? I love tinkering, want speed, but dont think I can do without any of the above. Thanks in advance? :)

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Both the roms you listed are AOSP based roms so some of the stuff like email integration, camera, calendar etc will change if you move to either one
That being said, it's just different and if the rom you choose (cough rubiX) doesn't work exactly how you want you have options usually.

I do all those things on rubiX and it works fine.

Reactions: techjpo

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Have been looking for ROM FAQ but didnt see one.

Try this...it's even loaded with how to videos:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...ooting-backing-up-installing-custom-roms.html

As to your ROM choice, Apex has a few basic pieces of blur that you might like (without all the verizon junk). BIGGEST/MOST IMPORTANT thing is to make a nandroid backup of your rooted phone before you put on any ROM. That way, you can always go back to your unaltered system to either try other ROMs or to download an OTA update.

Reactions: techjpo

techjpo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Nandroid backup

Before I do this, do I have to restore all of the Crapware(.bak) like before getting the new OTA software updates or just back it up "as is"? All the tutorials just say to do a back up. Thanks.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I think the best thing to do is restore the crapware, then make a nandroid backup. Without the crapware, you cant get a OTA update. Then you should install the paid version of Titanium Backup (if you don't have it). The reason for the paid version is that you can use it to "freeze" any bloatware, with a single click. Then, if you ever need to unfreeze it, it's just as simple. Much easier than renaming individual files.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I can't say "better" because I don't use MyBackup. Seems to me like the majority of rooted users here are always referencing/recommending Titanium. That was good enough for me.

techjpo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Success

Thanks for all the responses. Have the Rubix 1.97 up and running on the phone and enjoying it so far. Man you gotta love Android. My hat is off to all of the developers and the work they do to make this community as great as it as.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Before I do this, do I have to restore all of the Crapware(.bak) like before getting the new OTA software updates or just back it up "as is"? All the tutorials just say to do a back up. Thanks.

You will need to restore any Verizon apps/system files to receive OTA updates. So backup everything on stock before you start messing with anything. If you froze them then all you need to do is defrost them back before updating. If you deleted them or run into a problem:
Return your Droid X back to factory stock conditions(2.3.340) ..includes Verizon's bloat apps.
Here is the Full SBF to return your Droid X back to stock:
New Full SBF for Droid X - 2.3.340
Or...
even easier you can flash this zip to return to stock:
maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

I will be adding these two links to the DroidX Guide....