Is anyone planning on switching to the new ipad?

Are you going to switch to the new ipad?

• Total voters

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
No chance in hell. I wouldn't trade someone straight across if they asked me too, much less go buy one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Wha?!

I'm running the Eos ICS rom and lovin' it. I'd rather go back to Honeycomb than go to an iPad.

I don't get it. Apple STILL is struggling to service the enterprise user. All they do is cater to kids.

iPad is great multi-media device. Hats off. They win.

iPad absolutely blows as a serious notebook replacement... which is what I use my XOOM for. The minor advantage iPad has for multimedia is drowned out by the sucking sound they make when trying to use it for biz.

I've come to say... If you're a teenaged girl, there's nothing better than an iPad. ;-)

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Wha?!

I'm running the Eos ICS rom and lovin' it. I'd rather go back to Honeycomb than go to an iPad.

I don't get it. Apple STILL is struggling to service the enterprise user. All they do is cater to kids.

iPad absolutely blows as a serious notebook replacement... which is what I use my XOOM for. The minor advantage iPad has for multimedia is drowned out by the sucking sound they make when trying to use it for biz.

I've come to say... If you're a teenaged girl, there's nothing better than an iPad. ;-)

This exactly. For some the iPad is perfect. But for most its not. I just read an article in the local paper that usually is pro apple. But this time the were not blown away by the new pad. They actually said if you own a 2, its not worth upgrading lol. Maybe Apple has finally list its steam. Maybe people are realizing its not the end all be all product?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Show me a happy iOS user, and most of the time I'll show you android ignorance... As yet another person I have swayed from iOS to Android just bought her Epic 4g Touch, she had to admit that every iphone fan she knew claimed she couldn't do anything on Android. After spending an afternoon fiddling with an Evo 4g, she saw how misconstrued that notion was. In fact, after playing with an Epic 4g Touch in Best Buy, she said she didn't know how she ever used "such a small crappy phone for so long" having owned both the 3gs and the 4.

Most of the iOS user's aren't crazy, they are just less informed. Ask my physical therapist who just bought a new Android phone as well. He even asked a Verizon Rep questions, coming up short on realities of Android v. iOS. I quickly remedied this, he returned and told the Rep he didn't know what he was talking about lol. Thankfully the rep was open-minded and started looking things up. He was the most amazed with Double Twist (of all things) and spent a ton of time actually looking into the phone on his computer while my P.T. was purchasing his phone.

Remember, you can fix ignorance but not stupidity.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Wha?!

If you don't mind, what can Android tablets do in Enterprise that iPads cannot do? I do not own a tablet of any kind, and was considering the iPad because of its media capabilities (I'm not a teenage girl, but no offense taken ;)), but would like to have a device that can do some light lifting as a laptop replacement as well. I would consider a Samsung 7" tab, if I did not get the iPad. Thanks.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you don't mind, what can Android tablets do in Enterprise that iPads cannot do? I do not own a tablet of any kind, and was considering the iPad because of its media capabilities (I'm not a teenage girl, but no offense taken ;)), but would like to have a device that can do some light lifting as a laptop replacement as well. I would consider a Samsung 7" tab, if I did not get the iPad. Thanks.
Geez, where do I begin? I'll try to list these in order of my daily use... most often used to least often used. It's hard to pick which ones are most important, so I won't attempt that.

The customized screens and widgets, giving me instant information on what's important to my work life. A quick glance during a meeting is all I need to keep me updated on something. If I need more info, it's only one click away.

The familiar file system. I set this up exactly as it appears on my notebook, so I know exactly where to drill to get my data/documents. This may be less important to young people, but those of us who came up through DOS still have a mental image/map of where are critical stuff is. ;-) And just like on a notebook, when you select a file, that associated app opens automagically.

Voice commands and the ability to dictate. Yeah... Siri... Please don't make me laugh. Siri is a good start, but they have a hell of a lot of catching up to do. I've been using Google's voice to text for years. With ICS, I can dictate whole pages of ideas. I recently dictated an explanation of how a circuit worked while I was driving. Even with road noise, there were only about 5% errors. When I got to my hotel, it was a breeze (and a relief) to just do some minor fixes and send it off the to waiting client. I've seen demonstrations of Siri by avid iPhone fans and it's laughable in comparison. With Google, all I do is say "Send e-mail to Joe blow... Hey Joe (comma) how have you been (question mark) the reports on _______ are needed on Tuesday for our meeting (period) will there be any problem having them ready by then (question mark)" Then I touch "done." If I was in a quiet room, I'll hit send without proof reading... it's that good. Seriously, this is as close to perfect as I can imagine. It even understands context... the difference between "week" and "weak" when used in a sentence. The only issue is road noise or other noisy situations.

Multi-tasking window/column/whatever-that-thing-is-called. I can switch back and forth between a bunch of applications. I often have a Google doc open, while I have a datasheet open, while I have a spreadsheet open, while I have a website open, while I have Drop Box open, while I have a remote session (RDP) open to my home desktop... and I'm listening to music. Seriously, that describes my typical night in a hotel room. I can't run a compiler on my XOOM... yet :) ... so I need the remote access. ...and to my knowledge, nobody can code without Led Zeppelin, so I need the audio feed.

I'll add in Navigation here, even though I primarily use this on my phone. I've stopped using my Garmin Nuvi 800 series GPS in favor of my phone. The phone is better! Up to the minute maps and location info. This belongs here because I need the same OS on my phone as my tablet for commonality issues.

While I'm talking about the phone, I may was well talk about synch'ing "to the cloud". Yeah, Apple implies they just invented this. LOL! Everything on my tablet is on my phone and notebook. It's all synch'ed, without me doing anything. It's just different portals looking at the same information.

The ability to attach a USB thumb drive to the unit and share files.

The ability to plug into a projector to give presentations. Newer projectors have HDMI and simply need a cable. I have a dongle converter for a traditional VGA port as well.

WiFi access point for when I absolutely need to open that damned notebook. This occurs less frequently as time goes on, hence it's last.

Getting back to the phone/tablet synergy for a moment...
I'm running ICS on my two year old Android phone, so I have a similar experience and usage between my phone and my tablet. This is like running iOS5 on a 3GS. Some will say "You can run IOS5 on a 3GS." Sorry, but thanks for playing. It's a bastardized, cut down version of iOS5... more like iOS5 in name only. And it behaves just about as well as Honeycomb did. LOL!!! (I crack myself up sometimes!) When I say I'm running ICS on my two year old phone, I'm running ICS... all of it... everything.

I'm sure I missed something, because this spewed out of my fingers awfully fast. ;-) It's a rough start.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Geez, where do I begin? I'll try to list these in order of my daily use... most often used to least often used. It's hard to pick which ones are most important, so I won't attempt that.

The customized screens and widgets

The familiar file system.

Voice commands and the ability to dictate.

Multi-tasking window/column/whatever-that-thing-is-called.

...need the same OS on my phone as my tablet for commonality issues.

...synch'ing "to the cloud".

The ability to attach a USB thumb drive to the unit and share files.

The ability to plug into a projector to give presentations

WiFi access point

Getting back to the phone/tablet synergy...

I'm sure I missed something, because this spewed out of my fingers awfully fast. ;-) It's a rough start.

You've compiled a rather good list of things readily available with even a year-old Xoom running Honeycomb, that the new iPad still doesn't provide (out of the box).

To the USB connectivity, I would add that although I purchased a bluetooth keyboard, I still find it far more convenient that when I'm mobile at work, to simply use the camera kit adapter I bought to hook up a full sized USB keyboard (which I can "borrow" from workstations most everywhere I need to do work) - my big hands struggle with the mini-keyboards that come in table cases.

And, at work, we now have flat-screen TV's mounted to the walls for presentations. I can just use an inexpensive cable to plug right in. Co-workers with iPads have had to buy adapters, which seem to cause a lot of system "hangs" on their iPads when they plug them in without powering off first.

And, these are just reasons why the new iPad doesn't exceed even the old Xoom.

David Gewirtz offers his reasons not to buy/upgrade to the new iPad. He fails to note that the new iPads A5X chip is still only a dual core, and not a big step up from the processor in the iPad 2 (sort of like the minor improvement of the XYBoard over the Xoom). Anyway, here it is: 16 reasons NOT to buy a new iPad (including 7 that haven?t changed from earlier iPads)

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I might be the only one who feels this way, but one thing that would be a huge inducement to get me to move to a different tablet would be a larger screen size.

Now, it seems that Lenovo is planning a 13.3 inch (I saw another article that put it at 13.1) Windows 8 Tablet Lenovo to launch first Windows 8 tablet

This, to me, becomes very intriguing. I'm not sure I care for the permanently attached under-sized keyboard (I felt the same way about HP tablet PC I tried a few years ago - and it's why I never gave a netbook any consideration), but there might be a keyboard-free model to follow. And, the one thing that I have desired is more PC-type capabilities. I like the ease of use of many Android apps, but, now and then, I just need to do more than any app can readily provide (and often end up using Splashtop to remote to my desktop).

I had already decided that I will not replace my current laptop until windows 8, as I need a laptop less often now that I've become used to using my much more portable Xoom for so many functions. But, I do intend to move to Windows 8 with a new laptop, and probably new desktop as well.

So then, the possibility of having a (more) consistent OS over the range desktop-laptop-tablet-(and perhaps even phone) has me starting to think seriously about jumping.

I guess I'll need to no more about the actual capabilities (usability) of a Windows 8 tablet before taking such a drastic step. Android has certainly been very nice to use in many ways, but I'm starting to loose faith in Google (and James Wittaker's recent rant doesn't help my perception - 'Google is now an ad company': Departing exec James Whittaker's Goldman Sachs-style rant | Mail Online.

And, the growing cluster-f' of having to have so many widely varying devices (that each need a separate version), which has no lead to the probability of the Google-Mototrola-Verizon triad simply delaying ICS for LTE Xoom's in the hope that current owners will just get something newer, has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth regarding all three.

I do still love my Xoom, and actually plan to keep it as long as it runs, but I an rethinking my whole mobile strategy. If Verizon does come out with some "Family Data Plan", or even just a more pay-for-use approach (like they have for the iPads), I have to seriously consider the approach of having a WiFi-hotspot LTE phone, along with a (larger sized) tablet and laptop to connect through that phone instead of multiple devices each with it's own data plan.

Of course, Windows 8 tablets could spark a higher end Android OS and Android tablets which could better compete with larger Windows 8 tablets.

I don't see this new iPad causing Google and Android tablet makers to really step up their games. The issue with the iPad is that it isn't that it's a more capable device that Android tablets (extant and to come), but rather the enormous "image" advantage that iPads have. Making an android tablet that does basically the same things, even if it can do them twice as fast, doesn't offer near the potential as a tablet that offers more PC-like functionality (full-blown office and email packages, the ability to run advanced and highly specialized applications, read/write to external hard drives and removable media (DVD), etc.) while still offering the portability (and perhaps just a bit more size), in my opinion, will do much more to drive the development of better future devices than Apples new "toy" with a high resolution screen.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
There are plenty of productivity applications for tablets these days, especially the iPad. Hospitals, Airline Pilots, Schools, large Universities, etc. are using them more and more, not just to look at pretty pictures, listen to music or play games. And they can be used to connect to your PC and use it for real work, with apps like GoToMyPC, or Splashtop, QuickOffice, etc. Just saying...Apple devices are being adopted faster than Android in the IT/Enterprise world.

New iPad And Enterprise IT: Exclusive Research - Hardware - Handhelds/PDAs - Informationweek

Enterprises want iPad

Doesn't mean this is the better choice, it's just what is happening in the real world. I might pickup a new iPad, and I'm also thinking of getting an Android tablet as well, probably the smaller Samsung. Then I'll know which one works better for what I want/need it to do.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
There are plenty of productivity applications for tablets these days, especially the iPad. Hospitals, Airline Pilots, Schools, large Universities, etc. are using them more and more, not just to look at pretty pictures, listen to music or play games. And they can be used to connect to your PC and use it for real work, with apps like GoToMyPC, or Splashtop, QuickOffice, etc. Just saying...Apple devices are being adopted faster than Android in the IT/Enterprise world.

That iPads are being adapted to enterprise use faster is more likely a manifestation of their higher over-all popularity. If Google, et.al. would have actually put some effort into the application end, Android devices, given that they are even more easily adapted due the open nature of the OS, then Android tablet devices would have fared far better than they have.

There is basically nothing that an iPad can be made to do that an Android one couldn't do just as well or better. I gather from the list of apps in your post that you were unaware that these are also available for Android tablets? I had the unsanctioned phone-only version of Documents To Go running on my Xoom the same day I got it (Feb 28, 2011), albeit with some buggyiness. At the same time, the sanctioned iPad version (on the first iPads) was still prone to crashing, and couldn't do Powerpoints at all.

Even my year-old Xoom is easier to give a presentation on than are the iPad 2's of many of my coworkers. I just plug in with an inexpensive HDMI cable, which doesn't crash my Xoom the way the Apple adapter seems to do to most iPads.

Google did damned little to encourage developers to create apps for tablets, and wasted far to many resources trying to make netbooks viable instead.

Now, it's a virtual certainty that Android tablets will never catch up to the "hip: factor of iPads, and fewer sales will not drive developers either. The Xoom hit the market with more innate capability that the iPad 2 coming out right after it, but Google (along with Motorola and Verizon) lack any vision for what could be done with it. They just stood by with their thumbs up.. well, you know where, waiting for independent developers to make something happen for them - and the very capable Xoom ended up being no (sales) match for the iPad image.

But, now Windows 8 tablets are on the horizon. And, there are millions of MS users who did not grasp what and Android tablet could do for them. With just a little bit of advertising effort, MS could achieved what Google abjectly failed to do, and demonstrate what having their familiar applications on a highly mobile platform, of a size which can actually be useful to do work on can mean for them.

Yes, the iPad can be adapted to enterprise and real work (just like Android tablets), but the vast majority of it's users are still just using them for simple (social) networking and games. My in-laws both have iPad 2's, as do my daughter and her husband. None of them do anything more than "play" on them, sad to say. And, even my Apple Fanboy coworkers mostly just use theirs as "viewers" for content produced elsewhere.

The iPad phenomena has been 10% device capability and 90% image/hype, in my opinion, based on what I've observed. Still, the iPad's success has open doors for tablet devices (for some real productive uses).
If only those all-too-hip movers and shakers at Google didn't have their heads jammed so far up their collective @$$, they'd be able to recognize the opportunity laid out before them.

Instead, we'll be seeing the new phone-of-the-month models, along with a push to build Google+, Google Ads everywhere, and Android software being put onto most every device under the sun (wrist watches, cable TV boxes, etc.), with ZERO plan on how to integrate it all together ('cause they just figure that developers will want to do that all for them).

For consumers, I'm thinking that Windows 8 and MicroSoft (not that I'm a fan) now are poised to take role that Google "punted" on.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
That iPads are being adapted to enterprise use faster is more likely a manifestation of their higher over-all popularity. If Google, et.al. would have actually put some effort into the application end, Android devices, given that they are even more easily adapted due the open nature of the OS, then Android tablet devices would have fared far better than they have.

There is basically nothing that an iPad can be made to do that an Android one couldn't do just as well or better. I gather from the list of apps in your post that you were unaware that these are also available for Android tablets? I had the unsanctioned phone-only version of Documents To Go running on my Xoom the same day I got it (Feb 28, 2011), albeit with some buggyiness. At the same time, the sanctioned iPad version (on the first iPads) was still prone to crashing, and couldn't do Powerpoints at all.

Even my year-old Xoom is easier to give a presentation on than are the iPad 2's of many of my coworkers. I just plug in with an inexpensive HDMI cable, which doesn't crash my Xoom the way the Apple adapter seems to do to most iPads.

Google did damned little to encourage developers to create apps for tablets, and wasted far to many resources trying to make netbooks viable instead.

Now, it's a virtual certainty that Android tablets will never catch up to the "hip: factor of iPads, and fewer sales will not drive developers either. The Xoom hit the market with more innate capability that the iPad 2 coming out right after it, but Google (along with Motorola and Verizon) lack any vision for what could be done with it. They just stood by with their thumbs up.. well, you know where, waiting for independent developers to make something happen for them - and the very capable Xoom ended up being no (sales) match for the iPad image.

But, now Windows 8 tablets are on the horizon. And, there are millions of MS users who did not grasp what and Android tablet could do for them. With just a little bit of advertising effort, MS could achieved what Google abjectly failed to do, and demonstrate what having their familiar applications on a highly mobile platform, of a size which can actually be useful to do work on can mean for them.

Yes, the iPad can be adapted to enterprise and real work (just like Android tablets), but the vast majority of it's users are still just using them for simple (social) networking and games. My in-laws both have iPad 2's, as do my daughter and her husband. None of them do anything more than "play" on them, sad to say. And, even my Apple Fanboy coworkers mostly just use theirs as "viewers" for content produced elsewhere.

The iPad phenomena has been 10% device capability and 90% image/hype, in my opinion, based on what I've observed. Still, the iPad's success has open doors for tablet devices (for some real productive uses).
If only those all-too-hip movers and shakers at Google didn't have their heads jammed so far up their collective @$$, they'd be able to recognize the opportunity laid out before them.

Instead, we'll be seeing the new phone-of-the-month models, along with a push to build Google+, Google Ads everywhere, and Android software being put onto most every device under the sun (wrist watches, cable TV boxes, etc.), with ZERO plan on how to integrate it all together ('cause they just figure that developers will want to do that all for them).

For consumers, I'm thinking that Windows 8 and MicroSoft (not that I'm a fan) now are poised to take role that Google "punted" on.

I'm actually 100% in agreement with you, other than why iPads are being adopted so quickly...I don't think it's simply because they are popular. They can be made to work as a light-duty laptop replacement for folks who don't need serious, heavy duty computing power. I think tablets can and will become more widely used in enterprise for actual production, as opposed to consumption. Where I work (Hospital/Research), iPads and iPhones are seen everywhere now...doctors and lab techs, etc, are using them at a much higher rate than Android dedvices. They use them for real work, not just as media devices. My brother works for a major healthcare insurance provider, they are adopting iPhones in place of Blackberrys as the corporate standard, and iPads are being given out to replace laptops, like I mentioned above.

I am fully aware of what is available for Android tablets as far as apps, and I'm not saying I think handing out i-devices is the smartest thing to do. My point is, like you said yourself, the adoption of iPads is opening the doors for future tablet use in places other than our living rooms. But Android is blowing it, big time, in my opinion, bc as businesses adopt i-devices more quickly, Apple will start to become the standard in the mobile, "post-pc" business world. Even the Government is adopting i-devices faster than Android, allowing reps and senators, and even the President, to use iPhones and iPads now. That doesn't mean it's a smart decision (government = smart decisions???), but it is the reality. Mainly because Google and Android have their "heads jammed so far up their collective @$$".

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually 100% in agreement with you, other than why iPads are being adopted so quickly...I don't think it's simply because they are popular. They can be made to work as a light-duty laptop replacement for folks who don't need serious, heavy duty computing power. I think tablets can and will become more widely used in enterprise for actual production, as opposed to consumption. Where I work (Hospital/Research), iPads and iPhones are seen everywhere now...doctors and lab techs, etc, are using them at a much higher rate than Android dedvices. They use them for real work, not just as media devices. My brother works for a major healthcare insurance provider, they are adopting iPhones in place of Blackberrys as the corporate standard, and iPads are being given out to replace laptops, like I mentioned above.

I am fully aware of what is available for Android tablets as far as apps, and I'm not saying I think handing out i-devices is the smartest thing to do. My point is, like you said yourself, the adoption of iPads is opening the doors for future tablet use in places other than our living rooms. But Android is blowing it, big time, in my opinion, bc as businesses adopt i-devices more quickly, Apple will start to become the standard in the mobile, "post-pc" business world. Even the Government is adopting i-devices faster than Android, allowing reps and senators, and even the President, to use iPhones and iPads now. That doesn't mean it's a smart decision (government = smart decisions???), but it is the reality. Mainly because Google and Android have their "heads jammed so far up their collective @$$".

It is next to impossible to press an iPad into service as a laptop replacement, unless you're only talking about web surfing and reading some docs. The native utility of iOS just isn't up to the task.

There are indeed a few professions able to use iPads for work, but these professions use very particular and specialized applications that were written for iPads. Healthcare is the biggest sector doing this. The prime example is radiology.

This example is very similar to the graphics market and the Mac. There was little flexibility in the Mac hardware, making the graphics software development efforts that much easier. Apple embraced the graphics market early on. Companies making graphics design software found Apple and their Mac easy and willing partners. This established the MAC as the defacto standard in graphics design tools. It wasn't because PC hardware was incapable of doing it. It was because there was no reason for these graphics software houses to write anything for PCs. Most of their clientele moved to Macs, because that's what all the good graphics apps ran on.

The same thing has happened in the medical community. A tablet solved a lot of problems in medicine. It's difficult to carry a PC around bedside to bedside. The iPad was the first tablet. There is only one maker, so there is only one screen resolution, one set of hardware peripherals. That makes it easy to support.

Also, let's be honest. Android tablets have had a very rocky start. Between the issues of early Honeycomb and the marketing snafus of Motorola, followed by the full blown confusion created by the rest of the players... sheesh... If Android weren't so damned good, it would be dead. ;-)

Heck, how many threads did you read right here saying people were going to wait for a quad-core tablet. Nvidia and the other sophomoric semi vendors shot themselves in the foot. Rather than saying how freaking wonderful their dual cores were and helping sales, they made a big splash to the consumer world about their new quad-cores. Ridiculous! Those marketing guys should have been fired. They hosed every single one of their own customers and, IMHO, lost their own company millions of dollars due to reduced sales.

All that being said, in the end Android tablets will go the same way Android phones did... they will dominate. There are only two things that can stop this. First, would be if Apple changed their path. That's not going to happen any time soon. The second thing would be if Microsoft executes their Windows 8 mobile plans well.

A polished Windows 8 product would devastate Android. IMHO, Android fans are realists and want the very best capability their money can buy. Apple fans are... well... OK... I just don't understand Apple fans. You can ask them what then need to do with their data and show them a bunch of ways an Android device would help them (ways an Apple device can't) and they'll still look at you with that "Stepford Wives" stare and say "Apple rules!" I'll never get it.

So, again IMHO, the Apple clan will continue to be Apple zombies, but a really good Windows 8 product will almost wipe out Android. My company (a major semiconductor manufacturer) has zero tolerance for Apple. Apple limits the amount and type of security, so iProducts are a non-starter for us. It's like that with most of the semi houses I think.... at least the ones where I have friends working and have some visibility. We were all Blackberry. Now we are all Android. If Windows 8 actually works... we will all be Windows. We won't look back. We go with the most powerful and flexible system. It's all about performance with us. We're engineers. ;-)

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to get it and use both. I have come to a realization that for me there's a place for all eco-systems. Combing android, apple & amazon will give me the best results for what I do. Everything from work and entertainment to my astrophysics "hobby". When I started down this lovely android path, I shunned Apple, but for me, the free resources of iTunes U can't be denied, that combined with my Xoom and telescope will make for some really fun and exciting times for me.

I am highly impressed with the new iPad's screen. I'm using an LTE Xoom, OC'd to 1.5Ghz and it's been great, I get all my information via widgets as soon as I turn the screen on, as well I can even FTP files, edit them and send them back, and even SSH in to some servers that I need to work on. Once I get the iPad the Xoon won't lose that functionality for me, in fact I'm counting on it to be a key device for my daily life for months to come.

I do look forward to enjoying some of the more polished tablet apps, like Garage Band & iPhoto. As well as earlier mentioned, iTunes U, for me, is a selling point. I love learning new things and picture myself hunkering down with my iPad & Xoom both feeding my apetite for knowledge.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo