Automatically switching from Unrestricted to Optimized

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
I need Android Auto to stay on Unrestricted, because on Optimized it gives me "Unsupported Device" on my headunit when I connect via USB. And when this occurs I have to unplug and plug back in to get it to work, which is irritating.

I fixed this years ago by switching it to Unrestricted, but for whatever reason it keeps secretly switching back to Optimized at random times or days. It has now caused me to become paranoid and look at it every day to make sure it didn't switch. Any ideas?

Using an A23 5G and a JVC-M750BT headunit.

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
It did not work. It set back to Optimized again. It was fine when I drove to work. But I just checked now out of curiosity.
I just noticed something -- Android Auto is no longer in the Never Auto-Sleeping, and it is also no longer available in the list of apps to add.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240305_165248_Device care.png
    Screenshot_20240305_165248_Device care.png
    136 KB · Views: 10

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok , go to settings>apps>3 dots upper right corner tap>special access tap>apps that can always use data tap>toggle on AA
25d166b4a7eba649dcbcc952b8daa629.jpg

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I will say however I never have Data Saver enabled in the first place, so I am unsure if this will make any difference. But I still went and switched it on. We'll see what happens.
It's not for data saver for unrestricted data even when data saver is on

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Probably the system some how being aggressive saving battery
I have all of my battery saving and optimization options switched off. I used that don't kill my app site to aid with this in the past. Is there nothing more we can do? This is the only app that automatically changes its settings without my input. It seems I will have to manually put this app to Unrestricted every afternoon before going to work.

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed something -- Android Auto is no longer in the Never Auto-Sleeping, and it is also no longer available in the list of apps to add.
If you set it to unrestricted under battery settings on the app, that removes it from availability in the "never sleeping" app.

I always put apps in the "never sleeping" section on management before I change it to unrestricted in the app's battery settings. Not sure if that leaves it in the never sleeping table. But, it does seem to automatically be there when I turn off unrestricted.

Here is the process I follow for critical apps
1- For battery optimization,
Go to Settings -> Battery and Device Care -> Battery - Background Usage Limits
Once there, ensure that "Put unused apps to sleep" is toggled off. Then tap on "Never Sleeping Apps". Hit the "+" in the upper right, then scroll down to find the app. Select it and then "Add" at the bottom.

2-For memory optimization, Go to Settings -> Battery and Device Care -> Memory and tap that section. Go down to Excluded Apps, and select that. If your app isn't listed, click the "+", scroll down and select it.

3- Unrestricted Usage
Finally, go to Settings -> Apps-> Scroll down to your app and click it. Go down to the Battery section and click that. Select Unrestricted and then back all the way out.
NOTE: If you did this first, you will NOT be able to add it to Never sleeping apps in the previous steps. This step will hide it from that menu for some reason.

4- (Apps other than Android Auto)- You can Pin to recents to keep them open in the background.
Open the app, then go to your home screen (WITHOUT CLOSING THE APP). Click Recents. Scroll Through till you see the app you want to keep running. in the top of that app, you will see the icon for the app. Tap THE ICON once to get a drop down menu and select "keep open". This usually survives reboots. However, you should check after reboots (ESPECIALLY AFTER UPDATES) and redo this as necessary. I only do this with one app that I use for home automation and is critical to stay open.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000