Unstable or broken Apps on the Xoom

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
1. How is Google Voice crashing if it's not even available on the market?

2. The tablet version of CNN app FCs all the time.

3. Wallpaper app from Swiss Codemonkeys is horribly distorted but works.

4. AccuWeather widget says NULL. Rest of app seems to work.

5. Key height on Smart Keyboard isn't recognized making it look all squished at the bottom of the screen.

6. www.google.com/docs in Desktop mode is flaky and near unusable

Last edited:

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
1. How is Google Voice crashing if it's not even available on the market?

2. The tablet version of CNN app FCs all the time.

3. Wallpaper app from Swiss Codemonkeys is horribly distorted but works.

4. AccuWeather widget says NULL. Rest of app seems to work.

5. Key height on Smart Keyboard isn't recognized making it look all squished at the bottom of the screen.

TJH

1. Most of us have a backup copy from our android phones we can just transfer over to the Xoom, but it does no good as it force closes anyway.

2. I've had a couple but not too bad

3. Yeah I've tried Zedge as well and it didn't look too good. Have not tried Flickie HD yet

4. I've had the null issue but for some reason it started working. Try moving between portrait and landscape to get it to kick in. Can also try killing the app and re-adding your location.

5. Cannot comment on this as I am waiting for the new version of Swiftkey for Honeycomb/Xoom

DoctorP

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Documents to Go isn't working completely (see update below). I use this on my Droid X and need it for the xoom.

The spreadsheets don't open right with random blocks of repeating/duplicated cells in the wrong locations.

I think the word files are ok although would be nice if they optimized for xoom so that the native text selection/copy/paste functions worked.

The powerpoint isn't quite right either and isn't able to move from slide to slide.

UPDATE(3/1/11):
A program update was just released. All seems to work fine now.

Last edited:

nickbill

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I've gotten rock player to work, but honeycomb is extremely sensitive to containers and codecs. I had to re-encode movies in freemake as mp4 with mpeg codec before rockplayer would play them.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Words with friends

Attached picture shows what happens on Words with Friends...hope I'm not the only one with the problem

DVeng

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Attached picture shows what happens on Words with Friends...hope I'm not the only one with the problem

Same problem here. I bought DroidWords to use on my Xoom and it actually works fairly well. The only problem is that the window that pops up to let you pick how to use a blank square isn't wide enough to see all of the keys. My wife and I have played several games locally on DroidWords with no problems otherwise - haven't tried online play at all as I plan to use Words With Friends for that once it gets Xoom support.

I saw a screenshot somewhere of Words with Friends In landscape on a Xoom, but it appears locked to portrait orientation for me with the problem you showed in your post.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
yep, same thing on my xoom. hope it is fixed soon.

Don't count on it being fixed soon. I emailed them about it and they told me to reboot my device and if that doesn't work to uninstall and reinstall. Obviously that didn't work.

DocSavag

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Don't count on it being fixed soon. I emailed them about it and they told me to reboot my device and if that doesn't work to uninstall and reinstall. Obviously that didn't work.

There is a post floating around with a response from Zynga saying they are working on the bug that is preventing it from working correctly on tablets.

mfloser

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Layar displays the horizon sideways. This may be relates to the issue someone reported with the compass where north becomes west.

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Constant Force Close on Launcher

I continue to get Force Close messages on the launcher every 10 minutes or so. I am guessing it is a process I have as a widget that is causing this? Very frustrating.

Beautiful Widgets?
Engadget?
CNN?

Anyone getting FC messages on the launcher and running those as well?

Reactions: twainharte

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
The Facebook Widget immediately force closes if you try to drag it onto any screen, but the main Facebook app works just fine.

I've had problems in Settings > Accounts & Sync trying to add Facebook to the list of managed accounts. I can select it from the "Add account" list, but it will not get added to the list of my synced accounts.

I've had some significant problems with the stock browser, namely that when I have many tabs open and use the Recent Apps button to toggle between apps, the browser will close and I lose all tabs.

Not actually unstable, but there are some quirks in the Honeycomb Android Market. I've reported the first two issues to Google, and have heard back from them that they are forwarding the first issue on to their Android Market Team:

1. The user's place in a long list of apps is not retained while toggling between the app list and app details. Example: Search on "Handmark" and the response indicates there are 134 matching results. Scroll down a couple dozen rows and touch any app to view the details. Now touch BACK to return to the list. Instead of seeing the same app you just touched, you are taken to row 1 and have to scroll down the list again to find the spot where you left off. (Not very convenient when you are browsing and comparing results!)

2. The Market Home page includes a link for "Android Apps for Tablets >" and below it displays 6 apps. If you click the link, the screen updates and you see 16 apps, but the header remains a link "Android Apps for Tablets >", but serves no additional purpose - it doesn't take you anywhere. Now search on "Tablet". It reports 1325 results were found. However, it only displays 19 apps and there's no way to scroll or see additional results - just these 19. So while using a tablet it's not easy to find tablet apps in the Marketplace app. (For comparison, the web marketplace reports 1399 results for a search on "tablet".)

3. In the Android Market on a phone you can rate a user's comment or report it as spam. I can't find equivalent functionality in the Honeycomb Market.

So my biggest problems really are not being able to add a Facebook widget and the Browser closing and losing my open tabs...