Hitting the Road

SHWELL

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, it is time for a family Roadtrip. This will be a great test for my Xoom and Droid X tether usability. I have the VZ Data plan for my Xoom, but I am using the ther function of my rooted Droid X.. Traveling from Fl to NY..

I also found a mount on ebay for the Xoom (Actually universal) and it was delivered very quikly and to my surprise it seems very sturdy and usabel for its price point. I did not want to breakthe bank on the mount because I am sure after this roadtrip it will not get a lot of use. I will post up pics of it mounted in the car once I am all packed up. Stay tuned..

DSC_2686.jpg

DSC_2685.jpg

DSC_2682.jpg

DSC_2681.jpg

DSC_2677.jpg

This was the listing..
Car Mount Dock Swivel Holder for Motorola Xoom Tablet - eBay (item 330537123079 end time Mar-02-11 17:50:13 PST)

HERE IS A QUIK VID
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syB4_7mbA-0&tracker=False

Last edited:
Reactions: Bagua

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Im not so sure I want that thing taking up that much room on my windshield, but it looks like it will work good. Thanks for the photos and video.

thegunslinger1

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
That is the same mount I got, I was going to try it out on a short road trip I am taking this weekend, going to try use some GPS navigation on it, see how it works.

Cant wait to see how it works for you as well.

I drive an F250, so I have lots of dash space/windshield space, I think the size will be fine but we will see.

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
That's the mount I want! except I am going to try and mount it to the dashboard wood trim on the passenger side for my wife to watch movies and surf the web on our road trip to NC next month. Is the suction cup good would it hold tight and be sturdy if mounted horizontal?

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
First thing I thought too. The Zoom seems kinda heavy for that. Also hope that its not going on the windshield.

I have the Motorola Dock/Dash Mount for my Droid X. Between the WEAK double stick tape that holds the suction point to the dash and the suction cup, that thing falls off all the time on a relatively hot day. It seems like once a week if not more I am putting it back on after it came crashing down.

I can only imagine the problems with the weight of the XOOM.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have the windshield mount for my DX and on a hot day it will fall off even if my phone isn't in it.

Not sure about trusting my Xoom to a suction cup.

SHWELL

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
It will be mounted on passenger window or lower right corner of windshield if she is watching a movie. There is also the option of the tray between both front seats. The suction cup offers great grip. I will remove it clean the mounting area at every gas stop. Has to come down during trips out of vehicle anyway. For extended daily use, I prob wouldn't trust it. Bit that is why we test. We shall see how it holds up and if it is used for entire trip. Stay tuned.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I look forward to hearing your results. My Droid X makes a great navigation device when in the car dock, but the XOOM would be...EVEN BETTER!

I'm curious to hear how this works out for you. Drive safe =)

anon(42011)

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It looks nice Shwell! Ill be interested to see how it holds up as well. I wouldn't mind finding a way to mount this in the A6 but I would probably try to put it off the wood trim on passenger side. I would probably leave my skin cover on just in case as well.

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered one from mount guys shipped $32.93. I'm sure it will work good for what I want to do. Can't wait I love the concept of having the xoom mounted in the car for a long road trip tethered to my Droid X WIN!

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It will be mounted on passenger window or lower right corner of windshield if she is watching a movie. There is also the option of the tray between both front seats. The suction cup offers great grip. I will remove it clean the mounting area at every gas stop. Has to come down during trips out of vehicle anyway. For extended daily use, I prob wouldn't trust it. Bit that is why we test. We shall see how it holds up and if it is used for entire trip. Stay tuned.

This mount is exactly like the one I ordered for the headrest except for the suction cup end on yours. If you want the headrest brackets let me know and I'll ship them to you. I couldn't use them in my Rodeo, maybe you can in your truck.

Just PM me your shipping information.

thegunslinger1

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI, as I said earlier, I got the same mount off ebay for 15.00, tested it out tonight. Had an impromptu road trip to deliver stuff to my wife who was camping with the girl scouts.

You do NOT have to worry about this thing falling off, even after releasing the latch to take it off the window I still had to pull hard to get it off, worked great in the middle of my dash/windshield, was out of the way, but within reach to touch the screen if i was stopped. When going home I used the voice recognition to put in the address, worked flawlessly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87