iPad 2 shames xoom in graphics

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree. It would be unacceptable. I'm lucky I didn't get a unit that is displaying this. Some are reporting that it might also be linked to the bonding glue that is used and how it isn't dried yet. I don't know much about it though.
I just cannot take the chance myself. I'm always the one who gets "the problem"....if there is a manufacturer defect I see it/get it.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I just cannot take the chance myself. I'm always the one who gets "the problem"....if there is a manufacturer defect I see it/get it.

I'm usually in that group also. When I read the article about this issue, my initial reaction was that my unit probably has it. This time around I lucked out.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Why do you feel the need to egg him on? I still want to get a real discussion on about this.
Dude you have to admit it was kinda funny. If you're just someone reading this thread it was just funny the way you kinda snapped there for e a second. :) I don't think it hurts the quality of the thread. Besides, you are coming to a Xoom forum and posting this...you should have a thicker skin man and just ignore posts that upset you. :)

You don't seem to get Xoom/Android users. A thread like this really doesn't help much in making a decision on which device to purchase. Even if the iPad IS faster, has better graphics, etc.., it does not matter to most here: You still cannot use widgets. You still cannot side-download apps. You still cannot use it without iTunes. You still cannot add live wallpapers. You still cannot use Flash. People who buy iPad and those who buy Xoom are just different folks looking for different experiences. THAT is why some folks get upset. It just comes across as trolling to post stuff like this(even tho it's not) because the basics of what Android users want/need in their tablet experience does not change, regardless of what the iPad can do(or do better, or not). It still lacks many of the things Android has, and their users want.

Personally, I'm going to check out the iPad 2....but I most likely cannot get past the things I just posted above.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Dude you have to admit it was kinda funny. If you're just someone reading this thread it was just funny the way you kinda snapped there for e a second. :) I don't think it hurts the quality of the thread. Besides, you are coming to a Xoom forum and posting this...you should have a thicker skin man and just ignore posts that upset you. :)

You don't seem to get Xoom/Android users. A thread like this really doesn't help much in making a decision on which device to purchase. Even if the iPad IS faster, has better graphics, etc.., it does not matter to most here: You still cannot use widgets. You still cannot side-download apps. You still cannot use it without iTunes. You still cannot add live wallpapers. You still cannot use Flash. People who buy iPad and those who buy Xoom are just different folks looking for different experiences. THAT is why some folks get upset. It just comes across as trolling to post stuff like this(even tho it's not) because the basics of what Android users want/need in their tablet experience does not change, regardless of what the iPad can do(or do better, or not). It still lacks many of the things Android has, and their users want.

Dude must have some sort of Internet crush on me. He doesn't let up. It's annoying a hell. Every post man...

Anyway, I didn't share it as a means to sway people's decisions. Not at all. But thanks for the second portion of your reply. I understand why it's not entirely a big deal for most.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Anyway, I didn't share it as a means to sway people's decisions. Not at all. But thanks for the second portion of your reply. I understand why it's not entirely a big deal for most.
No problem and I swear this to you: if Apple would just add widgets and Flash support, I would get an iPad no question. I love the look of Apple products. But I personally have to have these two features. I would LOVE to have access to all those apps. BUT not at the expense of home-screen widgets and Flash(Skyfire not withstanding).

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
No problem and I swear this to you: if Apple would just add widgets and Flash support, I would get an iPad no question. I love the look of Apple products. But I personally have to have these two features. I would LOVE to have access to all those apps. BUT not at the expense of home-screen widgets and Flash(Skyfire not withstanding).

I would agree flash is something I can not go without. Also I am not a fan of iTunes and the I love the drag and drop music, movies, etc...

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Those additions would be fantastic. I have seen some awesome things done on the iPad via jail breaking (something I won't do) and it just goes to show you what the iPad is capable of. My Xoom was great and I wish apple would take some notes from honeycomb

bbalz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
There going to be tests that favor one device over the other... after owning the first Gen I pad, xoom and now the ipad2... the xoom to me wins in likeability.

Within the first hour of syncing the ipad2.... I got annoyed as it wasn't a quick seem less process. Also I questioned why go to the ipad2 when the first Gen worked fine. Its a nice tablet but limited. My game plan tomorrow is to return the ipad2, give the ipad to my parents and keep the xoom.

In regards to the screen and performance... the ipad2 doesn't put the xoom to shame at all...its sad whomever thinks that or believes the 'test' results. A tablet to my liking gives me similar phone experience and expands to give you more and that's why I think honeycomb/android easily beats ios.

This is the first I pad beats xoom posts I decided to reply to...but honestly enough already. No one really enjoys these posts. Its like saying democrats vs republicans. Keep it away IMO.

To all their own though. Xoom is for me.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Those additions would be fantastic. I have seen some awesome things done on the iPad via jail breaking (something I won't do) and it just goes to show you what the iPad is capable of. My Xoom was great and I wish apple would take some notes from honeycomb

I don't evaluate a device post jailbreak or root, I evaluate them based on how the manufacturer ships them. As soon as I need to root or jailbreak to get a device to do what I want the one that does it standard gets a huge bonus.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Those tests are useless.
You can't benchmark hardware unless you are running it all on the same software.
All tests had to have been throttled to use less than 512 MB of RAM.

The powerVR chip may well be better at some things than the NVIDIA. But we don't know that until the rest of the hardware, and operating system are taken out of the equation.

Nothing more need said about the results, until the methods are corrected. Anand knows this, but the lure of page views got the best of him. It happens.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Could you go a bit more into what you mean? I'm not as knowledgable on what was used to determine the mentioned article.

Well, here goes a few things I noticed off the bat.

I grabbed the GL benchmark app, and here a few indicators that it needs to be re-worked for the Xoom:

The Xoom has 27 native Open GL extensions (MOTODEV > Products > XOOM? MZ600)

the GL Benchmark app only found 21 (GLBenchmark Result Details of Motorola Xoom)

So off the bat with the app not using all available OpenGL extensions for honeycomb or for the Nvidia platform I'd say that it's "off."

Secondly, the app even incorrectly reads the screen size at 1280 x 752.

So right now I say these needs to be updated before I got too crazy with the results.

I didn't do a cross reference of the utilized libs over the ones "left on the table" but if I get a few minutes I will.

garbanian

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
My input...

I've had an ios device before, iPad, and then traded it for the xoom.
I've liked my android os over the ios as of now.
Graphics.
Good for them.
I'm going to like the games on the xoom, as I already am.
I'm not worried about console style graphics in a tablet, I'm looking for a productive tablet that I personally like that is able to play games here and there.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The powerVR chip may well be better at some things than the NVIDIA. But we don't know that until the rest of the hardware, and operating system are taken out of the equation.

And here's proof of that. Thanks Fred.

I grabbed the GL benchmark app, and here a few indicators that it needs to be re-worked for the Xoom:

the GL Benchmark app only found 21 (GLBenchmark Result Details of Motorola Xoom)

So off the bat with the app not using all available OpenGL extensions for honeycomb or for the Nvidia platform I'd say that it's "off."

So right now I say these needs to be updated before I got too crazy with the results.

I didn't do a cross reference of the utilized libs over the ones "left on the table" but if I get a few minutes I will.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store and played with both the iPad2 and XOOM, the samsung tab was a joke sitting next to the XOOM. I found the XOOM to be be far more responsive and the screen to be better overall. I found zero lag in opening and running games on the XOOM.

I had the iPad when it launched, sold it about 6 months in, got another through a rewards program, sold that one immediately, and just got another again and sold that one so I can pick up the XOOM WiFi at Staples on the 27th. I like what the Android OS can do and will do compared to what Apple says I can do.

looselycoupled

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Obv. The ipad2 is going to get a better GPU score with a benchmark program since its screen resolution is significantly less that the xoom

As noted in the article on Anandtech.com, the screen resolution is about 30% higher, whereas the performance increase from Xoom to iPad 2 is far greater depending on the particular benchmark/game in question.

I don't care how fast the graphics are if you have to watch them like this:

Backlight bleeding - MacRumors Forums

Like I said I have to pass myself on a tab that has that kind of quality control. Doesn't matter what it's capable of if you have to watch it thru a screen like that....and I thought the Xoom screen was unimpressive. Any kind of bleeding like that would drive me nuts.

Quality control can be difficult with Apple's enormous volumes. Obviously 99% iPad 2s don't suffer from backlight bleeding. Regardless, the good news is that Apple will swap the unit out no questions asked.

... its sad whomever thinks that or believes the 'test' results.

Anandtech.com is a trusted source. If there is an issue with the test, they will be the first ones to talk about it.

Those tests are useless.
You can't benchmark hardware unless you are running it all on the same software. All tests had to have been throttled to use less than 512 MB of RAM.....

Obviously the OS and OpenGL implementation details will make a difference, but in the end the user doesn't give a ****. They just see the fact that a particular game will look a lot better and render faster on one device versus another.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
As noted in the article on Anandtech.com, the screen resolution is about 30% higher, whereas the performance increase from Xoom to iPad 2 is far greater depending on the particular benchmark/game in question.

Quality control can be difficult with Apple's enormous volumes. Obviously 99% iPad 2s don't suffer from backlight bleeding. Regardless, the good news is that Apple will swap the unit out no questions asked.

Anandtech.com is a trusted source. If there is an issue with the test, they will be the first ones to talk about it.

Obviously the OS and OpenGL implementation details will make a difference, but in the end the user doesn't give a ****. They just see the fact that a particular game will look a lot better and render faster on one device versus another.

I think that's the point though, when one app developer has the same software tuned to each specific platform I bet they run very similarly.

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't care for tablets but I came in here just to see what ppl are saying since I read about this on Engadget. For you ppl that say this test is BS you need to know Anandtech is a trusted site and have been doing test like theses for years. This site isn't a Apple fanboy site. If their test say something is faster then something then you best believe it. You have to be a complete noob to electronics to thing Anandtech's test is BS.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Thank you for going into things a bit more. Much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress