Dos to Go VS QuickOffice HD

anon(194966)

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I had purchased Docs-To-Go a while ago for my Xoom but now that QuickOffice HD is out, I'm thinking that would have been a better choice.

Do we know if Docs-To-Go is coming out with an "HD" version? Is there are reason that I should stick with Docs-To-Go besides not spending another $15?

derekw68

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have not heard anything about docs to go. I am also very satisfied with the new quick office. It has everything I wanted in an office program.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I use docs to go and even though it's the phone version I think it's alright for me. I like how it talks to my google docs. I'm not sure if quickoffice does that too.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I refunded Quick Office HD. I'm waiting for the one demoed at CES. I signed up for their email alert for when it's available, then I forgot the name of the app.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have Docs to Go and generally like it. Docs and spreadsheets are great.

In PowerPoint, slides with particular attributes render wrong. Graphics made up of individual lines and curves, even when grouped, don't come out well. Text in any orientation, other than horizontal, is changed to horizontal, making some slides very difficult to read/follow. I've gotten around these issues by doing screen shots of my slide, cropping in Adobe Photoshop and planting the entire image on the slide. But it's a hassle to do. Also, I avoid putting anything but horizontal text on my slides now.

Does QuickOffice HD have these issues in PowerPoint? I'd spend the $15 to find out, but I'm doing a lot of that lately. It's more about the time wasted than the money. Just a few days ago someone said their remote client was better than PocketCloud. I bought it. It wasn't. That was about the 5th time I believed someone saying one thing was better than the other. I've wasted the money, but again, more important was the time I wasted learning a new thing, only to find out it didn't deliver on the promises.

It seems there are a lot of people that "claim" to have experience in both, but really don't. Yeah, yeah, yeah... color all of you surprised. ;-)

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

In PowerPoint, slides with particular attributes render wrong. Graphics made up of individual lines and curves, even when grouped, don't come out well. Text in any orientation, other than horizontal, is changed to horizontal, making some slides very difficult to read/follow. I've gotten around these issues by doing screen shots of my slide, cropping in Adobe Photoshop and planting the entire image on the slide. But it's a hassle to do. Also, I avoid putting anything but horizontal text on my slides now.

Does QuickOffice HD have these issues in PowerPoint? I'd spend the $15 to find out, but I'm doing a lot of that lately. It's more about the time wasted than the money. Just a few days ago someone said their remote client was better than PocketCloud. I bought it. It wasn't. That was about the 5th time I believed someone saying one thing was better than the other. I've wasted the money, but again, more important was the time I wasted learning a new thing, only to find out it didn't deliver on the promises.

It seems there are a lot of people that "claim" to have experience in both, but really don't. Yeah, yeah, yeah... color all of you surprised. ;-)

The PowerPoint in this sucks. That's why I refunded it. There was a really slick version of an Office Suite demoed at CES that seemed to have killer powerpoint support. I signed up for them to email me a 50% off coupon when it becomes available. Problem is I forgot the name of the app.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm with you about not wanting to just believe every claim of product superiority.

I had been using Docs To Go extensively on my Droid X phone, so I purchased it for my Xoom as well. I'm e had some problems with graphic rendering in presentation (as you noted), nut it has bee reliable with Google Documents, allowing for instant document sharing. I might be tempted by another option promising more functiiality and a greater range of connectivity - but I'm going to need to see it working. In this day of video cameras in every phone, and YouTube, I'm actually suspicious of any product that doesn't have a demo video.

I've been trying to get Wyse PocketCloud to work, but it seems that with each of the four computers I've tried, either the computer or the Xoom cannot log-on to my Gmail to initiate the discovery. Plus, there's the fact that I have to wipeout each coonection I've tried before it will let me try another on the Xoom side (a limitation of the demo version?).

I'm not willing to spend money on a product which I haven't gotten to work, nor have I seen a video of it working - but just a few people praising it. I would recommend the same to everyone. Don't take my word for Docs To Gom nor others word for QuickOffice. It's time we collectively stand up and denpmand to see a demonstration of functionality first.

Just as an aside, I'd prefer time-limited demos to crippled ones.

strauss884

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Quickoffice HD is the one that they showed at CES, and this is the new Honeycomb version, maybe it just isn't as good as the demo looked. They are designed to showcase a product.

strauss884

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Also, If you want to try out the product they have a 30 day return policy when you buy it from their website. If you buy it in the market you only have 15 minutes to try it.

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Actually there is a demo video of quick office working at CES.

YouTube - Quickoffice for Honeycomb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwWQrSQL5Mg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The second video I like a little better it shows off more.

One thing I did not like about docs to go is the fact that first every upgrade you have to pay for and it deleted all my page layout on a word doc I had that I needed to send to a client. Not good.

As I have not tried quick office yet I will have to go off what the video says about it and hopdpe it works like they say.

anon(194966)

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
We'll I pulled the trigger.... using the QuickOffice site for the 30 Day Refund option.

So far I think it works better on DOCX files already. I did not like how Docs-To-Go formatted a file that I had created on Word 2007... QO showed me a view that was similar to looking at it in Word.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I need something that I can use to show Powerpoint presentations with embedded audio and video, and animations. Quick Office HD didn't handle any if the three I tried during my 15 minute refund period.

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I need something that I can use to show Powerpoint presentations with embedded audio and video, and animations. Quick Office HD didn't handle any if the three I tried during my 15 minute refund period.

I had the 30. Day free trial of Quickoffice HD, it was the full version. I also downloaded Docs to go and did a side by side comparison of the two. I mostly focused on PowerPoint since I travel a lot and use PowerPoint to give presentations.

I found both programs to be lacking in how they handle formatting in slides and Word. Docs to go was more usable for PowerPoint and word. quickoffice would not show markups in word files, which is a problem for me since I find the Xoom handy for reviewing whitepapers and other documents when I travel.

Bottom line is that neather program works great, but I went ahead and paid for Docs to go on the hopes that eventually they will fix the formatting problem.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I just realized that Quick Office HD is the app that I was waiting so anxiously for...what a let down. This is the one and only area where the iPad beats the XOOM...Keynote on the iPad is WAY more powerful than any of these solutions.

I am going to give it a little time, but if I don't come up with a better way to present PowerPoint on the XOOM, I may me need to start using that stupid iPad again, and that makes me want to cry =(

TPadden

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
For now I'm sticking with Docs to Go; Quickoffice HD didn't work properly with simple Excel formulas.

I opened the same spreadsheets in both and for some reason Quickoffice left about a fifth of the formula cells blank.