How can I tether my WiFi Xoom to my Android phone?

EvoXOhio

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a non-rooted HTC Inspire 4G and a non-rooted Xoom WiFi. I've seen various instructions on how to pair them via bluetooth and via PDANet. They pair OK but then they just say "not connected"

Help....?

effingpace

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I've tested it on my Droid X which is rooted, all you have to do is install the free tethering app, launch it and it broadcasts a signal. you should be able to connect your xoom to it. works flawlessly

EvoXOhio

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
which "free tethering app" PDANet or something else? I can't get it working with PDANet.

i have it working right now using the built-in "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot" that comes with Android. I do not pay for a tethering data plan so I iamgine ATT is going to get pissy and shut me down or bill me for it. I'd like to do it without invoke the native android tethering for those reasons.

Thanks.

effingpace

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Its called "wireles tether" but will only work of you are rooted..Someone else just posted that you can tether through bluetooth, turn BT on both devices, pair them together, put the xoom in airplane mode and you should still be able to get online, i just tested it and it worked.

codered18

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Are you trying to tether the WIF from the XOOM to your phone or the other way around?

If you have a 3G Xoom, you can activate the Tether Hotspot from the Setting control panel. Once you activate it, launch up the WIFI from your phone and it should detect the available WIFI and use it.

EvoXOhio

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a Wifi xoom, and i am trying to share my Inspire 4G's internet connection with it. I can pair the devices but it never gets connected.

I tried the BT way with airplane and all that and it doesnt work for me.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
It may have to do with adhoc vs infrastructure mode since our xooms don't support adhoc.

Bt tethering only works on some phones. It will not work inky TB for example.

GNX231

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
i did it today with my fathers dx and his wifi xoom. i used the bluetooth from the dx to link the xoom and the xoom has a tether option under the bluetooth settings. both are not rooted. hope this helps

EvoXOhio

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
i did it today with my fathers dx and his wifi xoom. i used the bluetooth from the dx to link the xoom and the xoom has a tether option under the bluetooth settings. both are not rooted. hope this helps

I have no tether option under bluetooth on my wifi xoom. Are you sure thats what you did?

GNX231

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The one i did it on was the new wifi only. If you are under the bluetooth settings and you can see the device is paired with whatever phone you paired with, there is a little wrench to the right of that. Click the wrench and at the bottom of that screen there is a tab that says tethering. Under that it will say not tether click on it and it will connect and change to read tethered. And that was it worked great. Hope this helps

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
^That works great on the Droid X or Droid Pro (maybe more Moto devices, I don't know for sure) but I will NOT work on HTC phones.

Why, I don't know. I was bummed when I upgraded my X to a Thunderbolt and lost that option.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a Wifi xoom, and i am trying to share my Inspire 4G's internet connection with it. I can pair the devices but it never gets connected.

I tried the BT way with airplane and all that and it doesnt work for me.

If you're not rooted, you have to pay AT&T to enable wireless AP on your Phone. Once you have wireless AP activated.. turn off wifi on the inspire, make sure you have a 3g or 4g data connection to at&t, and then go into wifi settings on the inspire and activate AP, once AP is activated, go to your xoom, find the AP and connect. - DONE -

EvoXOhio

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
The one i did it on was the new wifi only. If you are under the bluetooth settings and you can see the device is paired with whatever phone you paired with, there is a little wrench to the right of that. Click the wrench and at the bottom of that screen there is a tab that says tethering. Under that it will say not tether click on it and it will connect and change to read tethered. And that was it worked great. Hope this helps

When I click the wrench the only option is to unpair. No tether option.