Static IP and My Xoom Don't Mix

Shoftiel37

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
My work has a sonic wall router that has been configured on our server with Static ips. I entered all the info our IT guy had and i can connect and he can see me on the router but i cant access the internet. I am so frustrated, we are getting new servers in three months but they been saying that for two years now. Is there anyone out there who may know why this is? is there a way to set the subnet on a xoom?

Any help would be appreciated..

also is there anyway to tether the xoom to a blackberry bold 9780? my shift to android is inevitable but with my purchase of the xoom my wife froze all my assets by threatening to freeze hers. so no new devices for a while.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Assuming it is configured properly in a stable network, the SonicWALL itself is utilizing static IP's on the LAN. Devices connected to the network (PC's, wireless devices, etc.) should be pulling their IP through DHCP. Are you guys part of a domain? Reason I'm asking is because if you are, DHCP could be getting handed out by either a DHCP server or the SonicWALL itself. If not, the SonicWALL is probably handing out the leases. However, if you do not have a DHCP server setup and the SonicWALL is NOT handing out DHCP leases, then devices are probably all locally configured with static IP's (definitely not best practice). But it sounds to me like the issue is with the SonicWALL as hypocaffeinemia has pointed out. Have your IT guy make sure that the access rules are configured to allow the traffic. Are there other devices connected to the WiFi so that you can verify whether it is just happening to you or is happening to everyone?

Shoftiel37

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for all of your help guys but unfortunately my IT guy is being the issue now and won't look any further into the matter until told to buy upper management. he is claiming it is a drain on the bandwidth. funny though only two laptops are on it down here. To get the laptops on you have to manually input the two DNS numbers... Which dosen't work for the xoom or for Iphones... (i am not an iphone user)... so whats draining it? oh well...

thanks again..

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for all of your help guys but unfortunately my IT guy is being the issue now and won't look any further into the matter until told to buy upper management. he is claiming it is a drain on the bandwidth. funny though only two laptops are on it down here. To get the laptops on you have to manually input the two DNS numbers... Which dosen't work for the xoom or for Iphones... (i am not an iphone user)... so whats draining it? oh well...

thanks again..

Try to use Google's DNS servers:

Google Public DNS

As long as you have an IP internet connection, you should hopefully be able to reach any outside DNS (barring any blocking done by your company).

Or you could say "screw the corp" and use your company's DNS anyway...

Command prompt ... ipconfig /all ... Write down the DNS server(s)

Shoftiel37

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all your help guys.... I tried the Google DNS but to no avail.

I took a laptop i knew worked and got the DNS off of it like Ock suggested. and with the right combo of IP address, default gateway, and network prefix length I am officially online!!!

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all your help guys.... I tried the Google DNS but to no avail.

I took a laptop i knew worked and got the DNS off of it like Ock suggested. and with the right combo of IP address, default gateway, and network prefix length I am officially online!!!

borat-very-nice.jpg

Sent from my HTC 10" Ice Cream Tablet tethered off my EVO 3D LTE using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty