Is a computer needed to own a Xoom?

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Do I need a computer to use the Xoom for anything? Set up, updates, backups?

I don't want a Playbook because you need a BlackBerry for basic functions.

I think the iPad requires a computer to setup.

Any advice? I'm looking for a WiFi only tab.

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
The xoom or any of the Android tablets will work for you. No need for a computer at all with one of these. I have a xoom wifi and love it. The new Asus Transformer looks like real winner for less money and full size keyboard dock. Check it out. I do recommend the xoom though as I've been very happy for the month I've owned it.

Reactions: Chrisy

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I think I had my Xoom for a a couple weeks before I plugged my Xoom into my desktop computer. I only plugged it in at that point to see how it worked and because wifi file transfers through ES File Explorer can't match the speed of a USB cable which becomes an issue when transferring multiple GBs of data. If I really wanted to be stubborn, I could have done everything over wifi since ES File Explorer has no problems seeing and accessing the Windows shares on my home network.

The one instance I had to hook my Xoom up to my computer is when I rooted it and overclocked it, but there is really no way around that. Kind of like how an iPad is worthless without iTunes :)

siscim23

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Depending on what you mean by backup, you may need a computer. There is a way to back up apps etc within the xoom, and apps you get from the market are backed up to your gmail account. If you want to do a FULL system backup, you would need to unlock/root, which needs a computer.

tl;dr You don't NEED a computer to enjoy Honeycomb tabs.

ptowndude

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Chrisy,

You don't need a computer to have a xoom. I plugged mine in to my computer once to see if it worked and I could see the files. Never did again.

I also don't think that my xoom is a desktop replacement.

Because you're thinking of wifi only think about where you will use your tablet. If the wifi works for your phone, then the xoom will be good too. No proxy support in honeycomb yet.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree with ptowndude. I wouldnt say my Xoom is a desktop replacement. Or my laptop replacement at that. Because nothing is like typing on a real keyboard. But for a nice "in the bed moments" or "on the couch moments" or "Starbucks" or etc etc etc lol. The Xoom is sweet :)

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You don't need your computer for setup, updates. You do need it for now to transfer files until sd support comes (you can get sd support if you root it). Not sure about backups.

But for actual setup, you don't need a computer.

Kinda funny since Apple called it's iPad a post-PC device even though you need a PC to set up the ipad.

Xoom however will not replace my desktop or laptop. But when I don't have a laptop, Xoom substitutes my laptop.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Be aware, you can?t load files over 2GB with any of the wifi transfer apps (that I know of.) You have to plug in the USB to a computer to load files over 2 GB.

Depending on your intended usage this may or may not be an issue.

The only time I had to do this was to load a large movie file.

-Suntan

thegunslinger1

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
No need for a computer, the only times I have had to connect mine to my pc was to move mp3s, video files and comic book files. I could have used drop box for some of that but I am too cheap to pay for the extra gigs.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I have never hooked up my Xoom to my PC. I am in no hurry to transfer my music to it, so I haven't bothered. I back up my music to SD after I rip it, so whenever SD support goes live, I'll just plug it in.

Jonno

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
So far I only connect my Xoom to my computer for transferring large video files. I'm also reliant on my computer to transcode videos to more suitable Xoom resolution/format and also for creating custom circle launcher icons.

Other than that all downloads, app installs, email/contact sync can be done wireless.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
don't need a computer...i rarely even plug it in my computer anyways since I can sync my music via Wifi, and use amazon cloud as well.

Only real time I connect my xoom to my desktop is to transfer movies, which are really big files. For photos/documents/etc dropbox works like a charm.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a PC and don't need/want one. I use my smart phone for almost everything. I'm looking at tabs for browsing is all.

Though the browser on my Tbolt is so good, I probably don't need a tab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38