Anyone else having issue with Amazon MP3 player on Xoom?

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Since <i>Smokezx</i> has asked about others' experience with the built-in browser crashing frequently, I though I'd ask a similar question about the Amazon MP3 app.

I'm not certain when, but either yesterday or the day before, the app was updated, and now, any time I try to play a song (local, or on the Amazon Cloud), it immediately crashes. The instant I tap a song, up pops:

Sorry!
The application Amazon MP3 (process com.amazon.mp3) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Force close Report

It?s already up as I lift my finger. [well, I guess it sort of demonstrates how fast the Xoom is, even if in an undesirable way?but I digress]

The application had been working fine for me, and I?ve used it extensively. It was even working fine just prior to this new mode of instant crash. I had just played one song, and was trying to start another when it started.

Everything else that the app does (browsing, accessing the Amazoin Cloud and MP3 Store, and even downloading) seem to be unaffected. It?s jus the ability to play songs that isn?t working

Before anyone asks, I did play some of the songs that Amazon MP3 Player crashed on with the built-in music player on the Xoom (local songs, downloaded from the Amazon Cloud), and on a computer using the Amazon Cloud Player through abrowser ? so it isn?t the song files themselves.

So, am I alone in this affliction? Anyone have any thoughts or advice (on that particular matter, I mean)?

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I just tried to play some songs no problems, they were all from the amazon cloud while using wifi

I was afraid that I was going to be hearing much the same as what you've indicated - the problem is with my copy on my Xoom. Perhaps it has become somehow corrupted? (I neglected to mention that I can play the songs just fine using the Amazon MP3 app on my Droid X.

I suppose I'm going to have to uninstall and reinstall the app. If I copy the "amazonmp3" directory and it's (extensive) content to a temporary directory, can I them copy all my downloaded content back into the new "amazonmp3" directory which will be created by reinstalling, and have all that music be recognized by the newly installed version of the app?

I'm guessing that this would work, but I was just hoping for some confirmation before proceeding.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I was afraid that I was going to be hearing much the same as what you've indicated - the problem is with my copy on my Xoom. Perhaps it has become somehow corrupted? (I neglected to mention that I can play the songs just fine using the Amazon MP3 app on my Droid X.

I suppose I'm going to have to uninstall and reinstall the app. If I copy the "amazonmp3" directory and it's (extensive) content to a temporary directory, can I them copy all my downloaded content back into the new "amazonmp3" directory which will be created by reinstalling, and have all that music be recognized by the newly installed version of the app?

I'm guessing that this would work, but I was just hoping for some confirmation before proceeding.

Try to clear the app cache first. (settings, applications, manage applications), you may want to try clearing data as well but i'm on not sure if the stored mp3s are stored as app data, so if you see it's roughly the same size of your mp3 library then don't clear it unless you want to re-download them.

Reactions: slwerner

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Try to clear the app cache first. (settings, applications, manage applications), you may want to try clearing data as well but i'm on not sure if the stored mp3s are stored as app data, so if you see it's roughly the same size of your mp3 library then don't clear it unless you want to re-download them.

I don't wish to download all my songs again (we're talking Gb's), so I've copied the "amazonmp3" directory into the "tmp" directory (to keep a copy safe while I attempt repairs.

Going the "Settings>Applications>Manage applications>All>Amazon MP3" route, shows 4.32 MB of storage used, and 3.2 MB of Cache.

Used the "Clear Cache" button to dump that, but Amazon MP3 still crashed upon trying to play a song.

While doing the directory copy, I noticed the "/mnt/sdcard/amazonmp3/.streamcache/" directory was HUGE (.imagecache also had quite a few files).

First test was to delete the last (most recent) file in the .streamcache (thinking that IT might be corrupt. Didn't fix my problem.

Next was to delete all files in the directory created yesterday - still nada.

Astro only allows deleting one file at a time, so, as I had a backup, I simply deleted the entire .streamcache directory.

After doing this, the app seems to try to queue up a song, even loads the associated artwork - then crashes. (tried several songs withe the exact same results).

I next deleted the .imagecache directory.

Same result.

Next, I used the "Market" app to uninstall and reinstall the Amazon MP3 app.

Doing this did not delete the "amazonmp3" directory, but also did not solve my problem. the instant crashing has returned

Now I'm just pissed that I'm wasting so much time on this.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Tried one last thing. Noticing that the approach of using the Market app to uninstall and reinstall did not download a "fresh" copy of the app, I decided to try a different approach.

Uninstalled the Amazon MP3 app, then went to the Amazon appstore and downloaded a fresh copy of the app, installed it, and...&*^%)&(*% same damned crashing sh*t!!!!!

I need some new ideas here...

VBGlacier

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem - my guess is that it started with the 2.0.4 update, but I'm not really sure. I tried all of the things you tried (deleted cache, uninstalled, reinstalled) to no avail. Contacted Amazon mp3 support to report it - went through the same steps with them, and it's now been escalated to Tier 2. I'll post what I hear back from them.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't really use it much at all (if ever), so I never update it. I swear every time I updated that app in the past, it caused my Gallery to completely disappear (it would no longer open) -- and then I had to do the good ol' Data/Cache clear trick to get it back. So I just don't update it anymore, because I have no desire to use the cloud player anyway.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't really use it much at all (if ever), so I never update it. I swear every time I updated that app in the past, it caused my Gallery to completely disappear (it would no longer open) -- and then I had to do the good ol' Data/Cache clear trick to get it back. So I just don't update it anymore, because I have no desire to use the cloud player anyway.

I hadn't noticed any effect on any other programs, but I'll check it out to see if I just hadn't noticed.

I'm not particularly inclined to regularly play songs directly from the cloud, but given that they've given me 20 gb of free storage, I do intend to take advantage of it. Thus, the ability to be able to use the cloud player would be nice should I ever have need of it. As it stands, I will need to first download a song, and then use another player to access it on my Xoom. Do-able, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Odd thing is, the app will still play the sample snippets of songs from the Amazon MP3 Store. It just cannot play songs either from the cloud drive, nor on the Xoom. Just odd.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem - my guess is that it started with the 2.0.4 update, but I'm not really sure. I tried all of the things you tried (deleted cache, uninstalled, reinstalled) to no avail. Contacted Amazon mp3 support to report it - went through the same steps with them, and it's now been escalated to Tier 2. I'll post what I hear back from them.

So, I'm not alone. Thank you for taking it up with Amazon.

In the long run, dealing with this problem isn't just about getting the Amazon player app to work - it's about addressing issues which may well effect other Honeycomb apps, both on Xooms as weepll as the other platforms coming to market. Thus it would likely be useful to understand what it causingn the issue you and I (and presumably others) are seeing, and to alter application programming or the OS accordingly.

Again, thank you for addressing it with Amazon.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

OOPS! I meant to say when I use this app on my Droid X this happens. Thus, I have not even bothered to use it on the Xoom. I am assuming it is just as buggy on the Xoom as it is on the Droid X. So, thanks but no thanks, Amazon! lol

kirkh3021

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
same issue after last update

I also started experiencing this same issue after the last Amazon MP3 Update. Sent email to support but have not heard anything back. The update works fine on my HTC DROID so seems to be Honeycomb or zoom specific issue. Oh well, it only took me 7 days to upload my songs and I was only able to play them a week before this update. ......

VBGlacier

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I heard back from Amazon about the mp3 cloud player force close issue. Apparently, Equalizer (or any other app that manages the sound output) is not compatible with the cloud player. I uninstalled it (not happily), and all works fine. It's a shame, because I really would prefer to have more options in managing the output.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I heard back from Amazon about the mp3 cloud player force close issue. Apparently, Equalizer (or any other app that manages the sound output) is not compatible with the cloud player. I uninstalled it (not happily), and all works fine. It's a shame, because I really would prefer to have more options in managing the output.

Same "fix" worked for me.

Still, the fact that we a re forced to make the trade-off just doesn't seem right. Perhaps Amazon will yet fix their app to be amenable to working with other apps.