Streaming videos? All you need is Plex

pdizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Just bought the Plex app for my Xoom and setup the Plex server on my XP box. It's got the best transcoding I have ever tried, so my whole collection of SD and HD quality vids play flawlessly on my Xoom. You can even access your server remotely on your Xoom if you wish.

This is finally a complete streaming solution for the Xoom!

Reactions: slwerner

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Ya my roommate has plex on his mac mini,. I'm only going to be living with him another month, so I am not about to pay the money. I need the newest apk. I'll wait a few days and should be able to find it by Google or xda.

Ps. Great program. If you have it set up on your computer or mac mini, I would definitely buy it.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I will have to give this a try. I currently use remote media server along with remote potato server for windows 7 and vplayer for android. Works fairly well.

XzombieX66

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Can u watch the netflix app on the Xoom app?

Also you said you can do it remotely, like as access it from any where besides on home network?

Last edited by a moderator:

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Just bought the Plex app for my Xoom and setup the Plex server on my XP box. It's got the best transcoding I have ever tried, so my whole collection of SD and HD quality vids play flawlessly on my Xoom. You can even access your server remotely on your Xoom if you wish.

This is finally a complete streaming solution for the Xoom!

On your recomandation (and the agreement of others), I purchase a copy, and set up servers on two of my home computers. So far, it"s working great, at least over WiFi on my home wireless network. The real test will be to see how it performs accessing content on my home computers via 3g while I'm at work.

pdizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Okay, this thing doesn't work as well on me. It's stop and go over wifi, pretty much useless. What am I missing here.

Thanks.

Can you do a throughput test over your wireless to see how much bandwidth you have? How fast is your server?

It's been running great for me. I'm using a .11g/n mixed connection AP.

Visual360

Dec 9, 2010
www.visual360photography.com
How do you do the test? I try to run "speedtest.net", and I'm getting around 17-18MB/s. I'm just using my deskstop as server, or do I need a dedicated server? What's the minimum configuration do I need?

Thanks.

jrhodes973

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I bought Plex but I can't figure out how to play whole albums. All I can do is pick and play one song at a time. There must be a way to create a play list or whole album but my old brain hasn't found it.

hypocaffeinemia#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Plex works awesome for me. I only wish they made a windows client as well so I could feed it to my TV (yeah, there's XBMC, etc but it's not the same).

Not only do I have access to my Plex, but I can stream from my brother's plex server in Dallas.

One cool thing I did is stream from his server (250 miles away) and then HDMI-out to my TV. It worked surprisingly well and was watchable if not perfect (heavy compression for mobile...)

Allez

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I made the mistake of getting Plex from the Amazon AppStore - it is an older version that doesn't work on the Xoom - waiting for the update to come through.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Is there a how to for remote viewing?

The app works great on my local network. I would like to watch my content over 3G tho.

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay, this thing doesn't work as well on me. It's stop and go over wifi, pretty much useless. What am I missing here.

Thanks.

make sure you update to the latest version. I couldn't get stable streams on android until recently. It's still compared to the iOS version.

every cross platform app i've used is. iCam's iOS version lets me pan and tilt my cam, android's doesn't, and forces me to use lower resolution audio (streaming from the cameras)

Is there a how to for remote viewing?

The app works great on my local network. I would like to watch my content over 3G tho.

the server app supports nat if your router lets it, if not you will need to google "plex port forwarding" and login to your router, forward port 32400 to the IP of the machine running plex server on your local network.

Last edited by a moderator:

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
Plex works pretty well with my movies and music but I'm having issues getting it to show my photos. It shows all the thumbnails fine but when I select one I just get a grey Plex ">" on the screen. A small handful of photos do work, but most do not. And they are all just regular jpegs from a digital camera. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
nah ecaggiani.

last time i used that feature was PMS .96 ~ it was for vacation pictures or wedding pics i can't remember, i remember there was over 1k of them, and it worked like a treat.

john144

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I am using SE File Manager. It's free; you only have to install it on your phone or tablet; and you can view your network shares just as if you were in Windows Explorer. It has a built-in media player. The only file types it doesn't recognize, that I could find, are .mov files, but if you give a long press on the file name a context menu comes up and asks you how to treat the file. You specify video, and then it prompts you to run any of the Android media players you have installed. I use Rock Player, which is also free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non