Funny call with VZW customer support

bitsbite

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, just wanted to share this to get feedback from the group. I have now been on the phone with VZW customer support regarding my last 2 bills which have added the Xoom and a data plan.

I am a long time VZW user and have generally been ok with their service (mostly in the stores where I know a couple people) but this event is almost hilarious. I have had two "international" text charges show up on my bill related to the number I have for the Xoom. So, I call customer service and ask why I have these charges and she says "the Xoom is SMS compatible!" After the first 20 minutes she comes back on and tells me basically the same thing. It is SMS compatible and I show you received two text messages. I tell her she is the first to EVER tell me that it is SMS compatible and she says "wait a minute, I will get a unit in my hand and show you how to get the messages". (I haven't told her that no one has this number). After another 10 minutes or so, she comes back on and says "you have talk?" Um yes but that is Google Talk, never used it and it is NOT SMS, it uses my data plan".... Hmm.. let me call technical support. Another 15 minutes and she comes back on and says "I stand corrected, it is indeed SMS capable but you don't have the ability to read them"... hm... then she says, someone probably put in the wrong number and that is how it happened.. hm... let's see, 2 international texts.. one last month and one this month... fascinating.

Oh well, they credited me the 40 cents and now are going to put a "block on it". Man, you can't make these things up. I realize it was only 40 cents but after the first 25 minutes on the phone it became a contest.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Same thing with me. Except I got no run-around. Just a refund for the 2 text messages (not internation) and have had a SMS block added to my account.

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
When I bought my Xoom text was blocked on activation. Hope I don't see these issues lol.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
When I bought my Xoom text was blocked on activation. Hope I don't see these issues lol.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

The service rep who activated mine also blocked my Xoom from text messages. He told me that it was necessary to prevent charges for texts which might be accidently sent to the number.

Seems as if Verizon reps aren't being trained uniformly about the potential issues with the Xoom.

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I had 18 messages over 2 months! I called Verizon and the rep had to connect me to a tech rep because he couldn't figure out how to read the messages on the Xoom.
I got credited and they put a block on my number. My messages were not coming from a regular phone #, It only had 5-6 digits(can't remember) but I figure it was Verizon sending me welcome messages.

earlyxoomer

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
it has happened to me for a few months until they put a block on it, and each month when i call, they explain to me that i am just not smart enough to see the SMS messages, so i question them further and they can never figure it out either. i am now blocked from SMS, and all is good. How hard is it for Verizon to put this in their tech support documentation?

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
It is amazing how unknowledgeable some of the reps are when you talk to them. That's too funny. You can always log into your Account in VZW online and put on the blocks, etc. yourself. I've had to do that already w/ my daughter's cell when she had the idea she could text people when we did not have have an SMS plan. lol

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, just wanted to share this to get feedback from the group. I have now been on the phone with VZW customer support regarding my last 2 bills which have added the Xoom and a data plan.

I am a long time VZW user and have generally been ok with their service (mostly in the stores where I know a couple people) but this event is almost hilarious. I have had two "international" text charges show up on my bill related to the number I have for the Xoom. So, I call customer service and ask why I have these charges and she says "the Xoom is SMS compatible!" After the first 20 minutes she comes back on and tells me basically the same thing. It is SMS compatible and I show you received two text messages. I tell her she is the first to EVER tell me that it is SMS compatible and she says "wait a minute, I will get a unit in my hand and show you how to get the messages". (I haven't told her that no one has this number). After another 10 minutes or so, she comes back on and says "you have talk?" Um yes but that is Google Talk, never used it and it is NOT SMS, it uses my data plan".... Hmm.. let me call technical support. Another 15 minutes and she comes back on and says "I stand corrected, it is indeed SMS capable but you don't have the ability to read them"... hm... then she says, someone probably put in the wrong number and that is how it happened.. hm... let's see, 2 international texts.. one last month and one this month... fascinating.

Oh well, they credited me the 40 cents and now are going to put a "block on it". Man, you can't make these things up. I realize it was only 40 cents but after the first 25 minutes on the phone it became a contest.
I've got one question for you.... did you know that the Xoom is SMS compatible? LOL

bitsbite

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I've got one question for you.... did you know that the Xoom is SMS compatible? LOL

:D I can't figure out how they can call it SMS compatible if you can't even read them. This shocks me that it has been this big a problem. I guess with a few hundred thousand users 20-40 cents a month could add up to real money. Now I am wondering about the rest of my bill!!

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The reason you have to side load lookout us because it uses SMS to activate the lost device and since the Xoom is not capable of receiving them it was blocked in the market. As far as SMS capable isn't the data radio the Xoom a different radio than the one used on phones for voice connections? That being why the Xoom can't be used as a giant phone. I know on Verizon's network the voice radio is the one that sends and receives SMS, if that is the case wouldn't it make the Xoom incapable of sending or recieving them? I mean once we get the 4g upgraded radio then we in theory should be able to and in theory once the 4g is completely activated we should be able to make voice because Verizon's plan is to go to voip routed calls.

bitsbite

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
That is certainly what I thought but the VZW customer service rep was adamant that it was SMS capable. I have used the Lookout on my Droid phones and love it! It has helped us find our phones left in parking lots and stores. Like Vudumedic states, I can't get it to download from the market to my Xoom and was told that it is so because the Xoom can't recieve SMS signals to activate it.

A confusing message for sure. (and NOT an SMS message ;)

DANOinSD

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Be sure and check your bills too if you have Insurance. The in-store rep screwed up my account, when activating my online account, and took my insurance off. Would not have been a good scene had I had an accident during that time frame. They kept telling me just use the App! To which I replied I don't have a pin, which comes via text to activate, IDIOTS! so after adding a phone to my account, then taking it back off, I ended up with 2 text charges ($0.50) and no more insurance! Fortunately, I check things like this and got it added back on quickly, but again, this could have been real ugly if I hadn't realized what happened. Maybe they made a mistake, maybe they didn't, either way they are idiots!

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Being sure you are talking with an actual Verizon employee and not some one who works in some contract call center helps. They use a contract company to help with the calls when it gets busy. Usually that is where you find the idiots versus the actual employees.