Newsr regressed in version 1.14?

silicon_ghost

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Until this update hit my Xoom on Friday, Newsr was absolutely one rock solid Google Reader app.

Problem: This started after updating to 1.14 today. When I switch away from Newsr (clicking a link in an article or hit the home button), then immediately come back to Newsr, it does a full refresh and loses my place in the reader. I end up back at the starting point with "all items" and no idea where I was in my particular RSS feed. I have several dozen feeds and prefer to read them as a group, not all jumbled up in the "all items" category.

I think that is a bug as it didn't do that before and it doesn't match what I think Android apps should do (i.e. remember their last state). Fellow Newsr users feel free to tell me I'm crazy. :)

I will say that 1.14 definitely feels faster on my Xoom than the previous version. Unfortunately, it also became practically useless.

Last edited:

Chris Stewart

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, none of that changed in 1.14. The only updates were to the networking and parsing code for getting labels and articles, meaning the performance is better. I'll look into this and get back to you.

Reactions: silicon_ghost

silicon_ghost

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way for me to get back to the previous version of Newsr? One, to confirm the problem actually started with this new version and, two, to be able to use it again on my tablet?

silicon_ghost

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I've played with the 1.15 that came out a couple days ago AND rebooted my Xoom yet again. The problem seems to have been corrected. Newsr is again faithfully remembering its state as I switch from app to app.