New to Smartphones. Work for a company that is installing Samsung Tab2 units into vehicles for scheduling software. Our county, 18 miles long North to South, has a definite line of no 4G,3G,1X and no connectivity which I understand will render our Tablet useless for data transfer, (although voice and messaging has a strong connection throughout). My question; can a phone, smartphone, be used as a what they call hotspot in a no connectivity area to transfer data to and from the tablet or do we at least need what I see as 1X, 3G or 4G?
    Thank you to anyone who knows.
    07-26-2013 04:37 PM
    Hi, and welcome to the forums. You can definitely use your phone as a hotspot and connect the tablet to it (at least most newer phones, but you might need a special plan on your carrier that allows you to). The issue is if there's no connectivity, it's not really going to work, since the phone won't have a data connection either...

Am I misunderstanding what you are asking? If the phone doesn't have a data connection it doesn't matter if it's a hotspot...there's still no internet connection.

Now what you might be able to do (and I've done this when I was on Sprint), was used a Verizon hotspot and connected my Sprint phone to it (since Verizon has a better network, at least around here). So even if Sprint didn't have a data connection, Verizon did....it worked well, if a bit of having to jump through hoops.
    07-26-2013 05:13 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! If those areas are black holes for all of the wireless providers, then I would it be cost effective to use a satellite phone? I'm guessing that would be pretty pricey, though, and satellite connectivity is significantly slower than 4G.
    Scott Kenyon likes this.
    07-26-2013 06:40 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

Good idea there, Diddy!

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-26-2013 10:17 PM
    New to Smartphones. Work for a company that is installing Samsung Tab2 units into vehicles for scheduling software. Our county, 18 miles long North to South, has a definite line of no 4G,3G,1X and no connectivity which I understand will render our Tablet useless for data transfer, (although voice and messaging has a strong connection throughout). My question; can a phone, smartphone, be used as a what they call hotspot in a no connectivity area to transfer data to and from the tablet or do we at least need what I see as 1X, 3G or 4G?
    Thank you to anyone who knows.
    Welcome to the forums.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    07-27-2013 04:10 PM
    Thank you to all your support. Looks like when there is no connectivity, thats it.
    07-30-2013 04:00 PM
    Welcome to for forums.
    07-30-2013 07:52 PM