Hello to all.

willdsl

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
New to Smartphones. Work for a company that is installing Samsung Tab2 units into vehicles for scheduling software. Our county, 18 miles long North to South, has a definite line of no 4G,3G,1X and no connectivity which I understand will render our Tablet useless for data transfer, (although voice and messaging has a strong connection throughout). My question; can a phone, smartphone, be used as a what they call hotspot in a no connectivity area to transfer data to and from the tablet or do we at least need what I see as 1X, 3G or 4G?
Thank you to anyone who knows.

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi, and welcome to the forums. You can definitely use your phone as a hotspot and connect the tablet to it (at least most newer phones, but you might need a special plan on your carrier that allows you to). The issue is if there's no connectivity, it's not really going to work, since the phone won't have a data connection either...

Am I misunderstanding what you are asking? If the phone doesn't have a data connection it doesn't matter if it's a hotspot...there's still no internet connection.

Now what you might be able to do (and I've done this when I was on Sprint), was used a Verizon hotspot and connected my Sprint phone to it (since Verizon has a better network, at least around here). So even if Sprint didn't have a data connection, Verizon did....it worked well, if a bit of having to jump through hoops.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If those areas are black holes for all of the wireless providers, then I would it be cost effective to use a satellite phone? I'm guessing that would be pretty pricey, though, and satellite connectivity is significantly slower than 4G.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
New to Smartphones. Work for a company that is installing Samsung Tab2 units into vehicles for scheduling software. Our county, 18 miles long North to South, has a definite line of no 4G,3G,1X and no connectivity which I understand will render our Tablet useless for data transfer, (although voice and messaging has a strong connection throughout). My question; can a phone, smartphone, be used as a what they call hotspot in a no connectivity area to transfer data to and from the tablet or do we at least need what I see as 1X, 3G or 4G?
Thank you to anyone who knows.

Welcome to the forums.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.