Introduction Below

anon(8095136)

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same old $9.95 Dollar Store tracfone and a 10 year old Xoom. So things are slow on them, couldn't be updated etc.

So within 2 weeks I purchased a
LG Premier Pro LTE to replace the phone
and a
Samsung Tab A to replace the tablet
both new ones are android OS

Lot of things are same but there is some annoying differences as I try to get them on the same page.

One of the worst things, and I've read every resolution on Google I think.

I go to the APP DRAWER. Press on an app. And I do not get the option to move to home screen. A pop up says INFO, TAGS and one or two other things. I am at a loss how to add theses drawer apps to the home screen. The Play Store is not even putting icons on the home screen now. And the fix for that, so I've read, is to go to your Play Store setting and choose add an icon. I do not even find that option?

I ask this, not an introduction I guess but I can't find anywhere here for tablets. Has this group any help with android tablets.

Well I am a Veteran of Viet Nam Era. Retired of course. Had computers since 1987 and I swear they are getting less friendly than they were 30 years ago. I go back as far as Basic Code and the command prompt to run programs.

Can anyone direct me to the right forum, even if this doesn't have one maybe you know where there is a good Tablet forum for Samsung? I have exhausted everything.

Thanks so much !! jack ":-{D

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the AC Forums! You should be able to add app shortcuts to the Homescreen by just tapping and holding onto the app you want to add from the app drawer and then just dropping onto the Homescreen.

Most likely a similar action can be done by tapping and holding onto an empty spot on your homescreen and selecting App Shortcut there (kinda like adding a widget).

anon(8095136)

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks much? Appreciate the time you took to answer. I think, if I was clear enough at all, that I explained your first option I've tried many times. When I press on an App in the App Drawer the icon will not move and it has a pop up what says OPEN INFO APPSTORE and TAGS. Neither of them gives and option to send to the home screen.

The 2nd option shows WALL PAPERS WIDGETS and HOME SCREEN SETTINGS. So I've read that many times and tried it but found no real solution. Thanks lots! jack ":-{D

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks much? Appreciate the time you took to answer. I think, if I was clear enough at all, that I explained your first option I've tried many times. When I press on an App in the App Drawer the icon will not move and it has a pop up what says OPEN INFO APPSTORE and TAGS. Neither of them gives and option to send to the home screen.

The 2nd option shows WALL PAPERS WIDGETS and HOME SCREEN SETTINGS. So I've read that many times and tried it but found no real solution. Thanks lots! jack ":-{D

Welcome! To equate what you do with a PC, I think what you might be missing is a fairly quick click and drag. If you hold the click for a length of time it then becomes a double-click. It takes some getting used to and then it soon becomes like falling off a log. :)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Welcome to the forums. Is this problem happening in both devices or only with the Samsung tablet? Samsung devices have a feature called Easy Mode that limits how you handle the home screens.

anon(8095136)

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. When i swipe down i see widgets tags and home screen settings but no App Shortcut. Have tried the touching on App Drawer items. Some one below suggested i might be holding too long. THANKS !!.

anon(8095136)

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Welcome! To equate what you do with a PC, I think what you might be missing is a fairly quick click and drag. If you hold the click for a length of time it then becomes a double-click. It takes some getting used to and then it soon becomes like falling off a log. :)

You are correct. I have been holding it long. I will try your suggestion right away. Thanks !!

anon(8095136)

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
A NOTE FROM FORUM MASTERS I am SPAM because i used links? Ive used no links. I tried the quick touch and sll it does is start thr app. Doesn't allow me to drag to homescreen. Ive not used links or spoke of money??

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Congratulations on your new devices! That's so exciting! Let us know if you need any further assistance! There are tablet forums here as well - I'm sure you'll find some fellow Samsung tablet users there who will be able to help you!

Also, thank you for your service. And it's super cool that you know how to code! If you can do that, you'll catch on to Android in a jiffy!

anon(8095136)

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I found the resolution to this. Swipe down on the home screen. Mine says tags widgets and home screen settings.
What I didn't know is when you tap home screen settings there is a option to add or remove the apps icon from the home screen. For some reason I guess I had turned Apps icon off. So I turn the apps icon back on and appeared on the home screen and everything was hunky-dory from there. I could make shortcuts from the apps icon not the apps drawer of the apps icon thank you all so much.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I found the resolution to this. Swipe down on the home screen. Mine says tags widgets and home screen settings.
What I didn't know is when you tap home screen settings there is a option to add or remove the apps icon from the home screen. For some reason I guess I had turned Apps icon off. So I turn the apps icon back on and appeared on the home screen and everything was hunky-dory from there. I could make shortcuts from the apps icon not the apps drawer of the apps icon thank you all so much.
Excellent! Glad you managed to solve this problem and thanks for the follow up.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A NOTE FROM FORUM MASTERS I am SPAM because i used links? Ive used no links. I tried the quick touch and sll it does is start thr app. Doesn't allow me to drag to homescreen. Ive not used links or spoke of money??

The forum software can be a little sensitive to things that look like links. It can also flag posts for being a little too short. It happens to me sometimes as well -- you'd think that the software would give a 100K+ poster a break.:-\

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

So glad you got everything figured out!

anon(8095136)

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
So glad you got everything figured out!

Yes yes thank you Morty. I've read many resolutions to this issue none of them gave me the path that I took. Down swipe and manage homescreen nowhere of the many I resoloutions I read did it ever give this explanation! So yes I did have to get it sorted out because no one suggested I do it like that. I don't know why this Samsung is so unique that way it's a 2016 version but I just bought it new at Best Buy on a good deal. On other issues on this tablet, like this one here, the issues were resolved another way. i.e. I still have never found EASY MODE following many answers given. Thanks again for your support

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have had the same old $9.95 Dollar Store tracfone and a 10 year old Xoom. So things are slow on them, couldn't be updated etc.

So within 2 weeks I purchased a
LG Premier Pro LTE to replace the phone
and a
Samsung Tab A to replace the tablet
both new ones are android OS

Lot of things are same but there is some annoying differences as I try to get them on the same page.

One of the worst things, and I've read every resolution on Google I think.

I go to the APP DRAWER. Press on an app. And I do not get the option to move to home screen. A pop up says INFO, TAGS and one or two other things. I am at a loss how to add theses drawer apps to the home screen. The Play Store is not even putting icons on the home screen now. And the fix for that, so I've read, is to go to your Play Store setting and choose add an icon. I do not even find that option?

I ask this, not an introduction I guess but I can't find anywhere here for tablets. Has this group any help with android tablets.

Well I am a Veteran of Viet Nam Era. Retired of course. Had computers since 1987 and I swear they are getting less friendly than they were 30 years ago. I go back as far as Basic Code and the command prompt to run programs.

Can anyone direct me to the right forum, even if this doesn't have one maybe you know where there is a good Tablet forum for Samsung? I have exhausted everything.

Thanks so much !! jack ":-{D
Hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central!
Glad that you sorted out the issue with your device.
Many, if not most of us are using the latest Android devices and/or software, I guess that's one of the reasons the posters trying to help you didn't give you the path you needed.
Also have in mind that it's not easy figuring out an issue with certain device when we're not personally using said device or are used to other devices.
Many manufacturers use their own software skin to differentiate themselves from the others.
Hope this doesn't discourage you from learning, using and taking advantage of this platform.
Have fun and enjoy exploring the forums!
By the way, I do have an old Samsung Tab 3 somewhere, I'll try to find it and check how to get Easy Mode and report back. But it'll probably be until late tonight or tomorrow.

Sent From the TARDIS With my Blue Note 9

anon(8095136)

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central!
Glad that you sorted out the issue with your device.
Many, if not most of us are using the latest Android devices and/or software, I guess that's one of the reasons the posters trying to help you didn't give you the path you needed.
Also have in mind that it's not easy figuring out an issue with certain device when we're not personally using said device or are used to other devices.
Many manufacturers use their own software skin to differentiate themselves from the others.
Hope this doesn't discourage you from learning, using and taking advantage of this platform.
Have fun and enjoy exploring the forums!
By the way, I do have an old Samsung Tab 3 somewhere, I'll try to find it and check how to get Easy Mode and report back. But it'll probably be until late tonight or tomorrow.

Sent From the TARDIS With my Blue Note 9

No worries but it would be cool to see if you could find EM and if it applies to mine. Surprised that Samsung would make so many changes in just 2 years. Can't they make up their minds? lol I still have a Moto Xoom that runs well, 10 years old and it never started being cranky until it was around 8 or so it couldn't always allow apps. Updates were not available. But it sits on a dock in the kitchen and streams perfectly one of my fav live shows streams beautifully.

Anyway I received helpful suggestions at this link but you'll see the last post is mine and I found the resolution in an area I had no idea this would be found. I learned the Xoom quickly but of course I didn't need a zillion new features. Just the basic. The latest devices seems to be made for low genius and most features never get used. If they are they might change so many settings in other places. I suspect it's just a matter of learning the few features I needed. One was making shortcuts. This is where I picked it up on the TAB A area. I'll have to look again at the front page but I could not see TAB A in the list of forums. My bad. Someone gave me the link to TAB A in a comment. Many thanks!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...ing-me-move-create-shortcuts.html#post6436969

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana