One+3, Nexus 6P or Robin?

Thomas Guide

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

I'm debating what my next phone is going to be. I have an HTC M7 and it's still running good but the battery is starting to go so I'm looking to get a replacement. I like the size and feel of this phone, I'm not looking for a phablet. HTC 10 is not is an option as it's just too expensive, even with the discount is still $600. I can get the 6P for a good price, they have sales seemingly every other month. I'm concerned about it's size.. So it's kind of between the Robin and One+3. Any thoughts

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

I'm debating what my next phone is going to be. I have an HTC M7 and it's still running good but the battery is starting to go so I'm looking to get a replacement. I like the size and feel of this phone, I'm not looking for a phablet. HTC 10 is not is an option as it's just too expensive, even with the discount is still $600. I can get the 6P for a good price, they have sales seemingly every other month. I'm concerned about it's size.. So it's kind of between the Robin and One+3. Any thoughts

Since you said that you don't want a phablet, the 6p might be really annoying for you.

The Robin and the 1+3 are both good in their own right. What are some of the most important things that you would like to have in a phone, aside from size?
I have the Nextbit Robin curremtly and I'm liking it, but if you can answer that question for me, that would help me to help you.

Both the Nextbit OS and Oxygen OS are nice and fairly close to Nexus level, but 1+3's OS (oxygen) has some more add-ons.

Thomas Guide

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I have concerns about the battery life and how well the cloud storage works. What if you need an app or photo and you are not in a good wifi or cell area. What happens? Are you sol until you get a good signal? Does the battery last a whole day on moderate use? How is the build quality of the phone?

Last edited:

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'd get the OnePlus 3 over Robin due to better build quality. You could also wait to see if the Nexus Marlin and Sailfish by HTC are better options.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I have concerns about the battery life and how well the cloud storage works. What if you need an app or photo and you are not in a good wifi or cell area. What happens? Are you sol until you get a good signal? Does the battery last a whole day on moderate use? How is the build quality of the phone?
Out the box, the battery life of the Robin doesn't last a day with my experience. Maybe 12 hours at most. With tweaks, I get a day and some. As for the cloud storage, I disabled it so I can't answer. I do know that cloud backup only happens when you are on wifi and plugged in. There was an issue with the paint chipping on the Midnight one but that has been fixed. Some have reported having the device can slightly bend, but I haven't had this issue.

Since the size is a true concern for you, I would recommend ordering a Robin from Amazon who allows returns. Out of your choices, I have to be honest and say that the camera on the Robin is weaker than the other two.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been using a 6P for about a year now and I can say without any caveats that it is by far the best phone that I have ever owned. I also just bought my wife a Nexbit Robin when they were on sale at Amazon recently. Which so far from what I have seen, it is a very nice device. It seems very smooth and I honestly love the unusual design and UI. The camera is definitely a step down from her old phone but it is still good enough for what she uses it for. Also for her the battery doesn't quite make it through the day, but she uses her phones pretty heavily. For example she used to have a Galaxy S6 with a 3500mah battery case that wouldn't make it through the day either. So it's hard to beat up the robin too much based on her usage. Especially considering the internal battery alone is lasting about as long or even a little longer than the Samsung + external battery did.

However performance wise the Robin can't come close to matching the 6P. Yes the 6P is a little on the large side, but once you get used to it, it's not bad. Although honestly if there were one thing I could change about it, it would still be to make it smaller, because it is larger than I really like. However the benefits of the 6P are that it has a stellar camera, a very fast processor, decent battery life and it is going to get system updates much faster and for a longer time, than anything else out there.

Personally my opinion is that if the price is not a factor for any of these phones get the 6P, it's definitely worth the premium. However if you want to save a few dollars and don't mind a slightly slower but more quirky and interesting device the Robin is not a bad choice either. It is a very good midrange device just don't expect the performance of a flagship phone.

Honestly I haven't used a One+ phone so I cannot personally recommend or detract from it, but if I had to guess it would probably slot somewhere in between the 6P and Robin in terms of features specs and price and might be a decent compromise between the two.

Also since you are looking don't forget to look at the Nexus 5X. Performance wise it basically has the same specs as the Robin, but with the same camera sensor and system updates as the 6P, and in a smaller package. Honestly we had originally planned on getting my wife a 5X, but when the Robin went on sale it was just such a great deal it was hard to pass it up, plus she just really liked the styling of the Robin.

Thomas Guide

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I went with robin, picked up a brand new one from Mercari for $240. So far I'm loving it, no android phone has ever had this kind looky lu effect. Every time someone sees my mint robin they ask what kind of phone is that and it's so awesome. I haven't used the cloud feature yet and I'm running Nova launcher on it. Battery life has not been an issue for me, I'm not a heavy user. I bought the Robin quick charger directly from Nextbit and that has been working great. It charges the phone from 10% to 100% in about an hour and 15 minutes. So far so good with the Robin.

Thomas Guide

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I ruled out the Nexus 5X because I've heard it had so may problems, it looks like they've fixed all those issues with updates but I didn't want to deal with it. Not to mention limited to 32gb and no sd card. I know the Robin doesn't have sd card either but I can always upload my photos and videos to the cloud, 100GB worth if need be. Also, I just like the like the look of the Robin, I've never been a big fan of LG.I think LG's phones are as boring as iphones.

Deane Duerkop

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
You can get a sweet deal on a Le Eco Pro 3...under $300, Snap 821, 4 gb ram, 1080 5.5 display. Use the google launcher app for a near stock experience. My son loves his.

touchthatpad106

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

Nice job rocking an M7 for so long! Besides my Pre 2, and probably even more than that, the M7 is my favorite phone. I only made it until the spring of 2015 before I switched. I got my wife and mother in law the Robin last month and while my mother in law hasn't used it yet, my wife loves hers coming from an iphone 5s. For $120 now the phones are a great deal.