HELP nexus 10 won't work unless plugged in

Saalik Rauf

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had my nexus 10 for a few months and it worked fine until a couple of days ago when it began to become very hot around where the light sensor is, an app that measures battery life says it's about 105? f, then it crashes and i have to reboot it. It would work fine until yesterday, now if its not plugged in it won't get passed the x boot up, if it's plugged in it works fine but if i unplug it, on 100% battery it lasts five seconds before flickering and crashing. If i continue to try to boot it after that without plugging it in it will eventually stop trying and after plugging it in it has 0 battery. Is there a way to fix this or is my nexus 10 dead now. My suspicion is the battery burned out, i use the stock charger with the pogo cable

Sithtiger

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm no Android expert as I've only had my Nexus 10 about 5 months, but I do build and repair computers and this really sounds like a thermal issue. You, yourself said that it was very hot. I don't know if you've rooted it or anything, but regardless I think I would send it in for repair. Hopefully your warrantee is still good, but if not it still needs to be looked at because heat problems can permanently damage your device.

One thing you could try is to do a factory reset. You have to understand that this could damage it....that is to say just turning it on could permanently damage it, if it's a heat issue, so keep that in mind. So with that in mind, factory reset might fix it as maybe the system has become corrupt. Before I did anything though, I think I would call them and tell them the issue including the high temp and ask them if there's anything that you could do first.

TL;DR:
Contact manufacturer for help and see if resetting would fix the problem. Ask them first before doing anything because if it really is a heat issue, any operation could permanently damage your device.

Posted via Android Central App

Longjohn119

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
10 bucks says it's a bad 25 cent electrolytic cap in the main switcher (DC-DC converter/regulator)

Another 10 bucks says the said bad 'lytic says "Made in China" on it ......

Having resurrected over 2 dozen Sammy monitors, every last one of them with bad Chinese 'lytics in the switchers this is a very safe bet for me ......

Sadly I just bought one of these thinking that since they were making it past the 1 year mark they were safe to buy. I seldom buy anything that just came out because the chances are better than not it has a manufacturing defect caused by "Beancounter Engineers" cheating the component quality to save a couple of pennies.

On the other hand I made a lot of side money in 2010 and 2011 throwing in a couple of bucks worth of **Japanese** 'lytics in monitors and motherboards picked up from the trash and resold with a 2 year warranty on the power supply only (I've never had one come back yet)

Used to be if a 'lytic couldn't make it 20 years without drying up and failing it was considered junk, today if most make it past the warranty period it's considered "Good enough for the Suckers ....er ... I mean consumers"

The fastest way for Google to avoid this, and I think they are the one corporation out there with the balls to pull it off, is a complete ban on Chinese components in their products until such a time as they can prove them self worthy of making a decent components with an average Failure Rate of over 10 years ..... Should be 20 but even 10 is a huge improvement over the 1-2 year crap coming from them

Alejandro Quiroga

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to bring it back up but i haven?t found another thread like this and the last post seemed interesting. I have the exact same problem, probably due to heat (not that much though, charging while being outside on a hot day but well under the shadow...). Still, i haven't found a concrete answer as to whether its a hardware problem (the DC/DC converter mentioned, the motherboard, the battery) or if it is a software problem (i can run android 4.3 but not 4.4 while being plugged in). Any info would be of great help and thanks in advance !

contapapo

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
The same here. There's no other trade like this and I need an answer. Tryed 4 batteries and the same result. It only works when charging.
I'm desperate.

JoeSimms

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey "Rock collector"
I bit the bullet and finally bought a new battery. Received it just last week.
My Nexus 4 has now been fully revived from its near death experience, and no longer requires life-support systems to be plugged in.
Problem solved.
I got the replacement battery on aliexpress.com — cost $10 including shipping to New Zealand. Tablet battery is likely a bit more. Aliexpress.com is an excellent site for such things. I buy quite a few odds and ends from there. All shipped from China / Hongkong mostly.

Regards...

JoeSimms

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
My n10 is doing the same thing. Will not work unless plugged in. Can someone please advise me on what to do. Is there a fix? I am out of warranty.
Whoops. Further to my reply above. I mistakenly thought you'd posted your message on a thread I started about the battery issue I have with my Nexus 4. I see the issue described here is a different one from mine. I have no over-heating problems, etc. The phone simply ceased working if not plugged in, even though I could watch it get charged up and could watch it discharge in recovery mode. So it appeared the battery was taking, holding, and releasing its charge normally, and yet the moment it was unplugged it would die (except it would stay on when booted into Recovery mode). So I thought, "Can't be a battery issue". Turns out it was. But perhaps an entirely different issue from yours, if you have same issue as OP.

JPvzg

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I am facing the same issue now. My Nexus 4 doesn't work if not plugged in. Were you able to fix it? What did you do to fix it? plz help me solve my issue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38