How to unlock the bootloader on the Nexus 4

Syrential

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I watched the video, but I'm a little confused. As someone completely new to Android, is there a step-by-step guide? (ie. for dummies)

I've Google'd, and got the Android SDK, and an exe called fastboot. That's about as far as I got so far.

I am new to Android as well, but there are some great tutorials. Have you not checked out the Galaxy Nexus tutorial that was posted in this thread?

If you would like to get a heads up, unlocking and rooting will be done almost exactly the same way as done on the Galaxy Nexus ([GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus) and Nexus 7 ([GUIDE][MAC][PC][LINUX] How to Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery).

Also (as it was as well mentioned in here) they will put up exact guides for the Nexus 4. :) It shouldn't be too difficult then!

EDIT: Just scroll up for the links, they weren't linked in my quote!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I watched the video, but I'm a little confused. As someone completely new to Android, is there a step-by-step guide? (ie. for dummies)

I've Google'd, and got the Android SDK, and an exe called fastboot. That's about as far as I got so far.

If you want a better idea of the individual steps, you can watch the Nexus 7 unlock bootloader video: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=190934

It's the same process.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I plan on unlocking and rooting the Nexus 4 the day it arrives. But I am new to all of that. I have looked through a ton of tutorials, and I have my PC all set up and ready to go. The only thing I might need to do is get the drivers from LG. Everything else seems to be good. What I'm curious about is, what happens when it's time to upgrade the phone if you are rooted?

I do not plan on using roms. I am only rooting so I can use USB OTG. I know the Nexus 7 needs rooted before you can fully use host mode. So I am expecting the Nexus 4 to be the same way. So how would I go about installing updates to the phone if I am rooted, but running the stock OS from Google?

Thanks to anyone that can offer some assistance, I've searched and read about it, but I'm still not understanding it.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I plan on unlocking and rooting the Nexus 4 the day it arrives. But I am new to all of that. I have looked through a ton of tutorials, and I have my PC all set up and ready to go. The only thing I might need to do is get the drivers from LG. Everything else seems to be good. What I'm curious about is, what happens when it's time to upgrade the phone if you are rooted?

I do not plan on using roms. I am only rooting so I can use USB OTG. I know the Nexus 7 needs rooted before you can fully use host mode. So I am expecting the Nexus 4 to be the same way. So how would I go about installing updates to the phone if I am rooted, but running the stock OS from Google?

Thanks to anyone that can offer some assistance, I've searched and read about it, but I'm still not understanding it.

When Google pushes an update you will lose root if you are stock. Its just a matter of re-rooting after you take the update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Digitalslacker!

Just to clarify it further for myself - None of my data will be lost? The device wont become locked again? I can just root it the same way I did to begin with and everything will be back to normal except with the latest update?

Thanks again

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Digitalslacker!

Just to clarify it further for myself - None of my data will be lost? The device wont become locked again? I can just root it the same way I did to begin with and everything will be back to normal except with the latest update?

Thanks again

Correct to everything you said :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah just reroot... If you follow the exact steps from the first time you might relock the device again and then you will lose stuff. Unlocking is what wipes the device but unless you specifically relock or do an image restore it won't relock on an ota.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
That's because you're an advisor and obviously have an advantage!

yea...i troll sometimes...deal :)

Oh snap.. might have to get some mods over here and break out.......
albumpicture.php

:p

c_hri_s

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if I've missed it, but new to Android ... I can see from the thread how to unlock the bootloader, but how do you root the phone?

Thanks.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if I've missed it, but new to Android ... I can see from the thread how to unlock the bootloader, but how do you root the phone?

Thanks.

I'll be publishing a guide on that within a day or so. So far we don't even have a custom recovery so sit tight and keep your eyes on this section :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11