How to unlock the bootloader on the Nexus 4

djmobil2

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll keep my eye on the forum until the complete guide is ready. Hope it will before my Nexus 4 arrives because root is the first thing I'll do right out of the box.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll keep my eye on the forum until the complete guide is ready. Hope it will before my Nexus 4 arrives because root is the first thing I'll do right out of the box.

Unlocking the bootloader is the best thing to do right out of the box, since it will wipe everything, so it's better to do it before you set up anything on the phone. Once you do that you can root at any time fairly easily without wiping anything :)

So bearing that in mind.. maybe I'll push the guide out here later today so people can get a handle on the unlock part even though we still need a custom recovery to root it (which I'm sure we'll have very, very soon)..

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
So bearing that in mind.. maybe I'll push the guide out here later today so people can get a handle on the unlock part even though we still need a custom recovery to root it (which I'm sure we'll have very, very soon)..

I would love it if you are able to do this. I have the unlocking part under control and adb is all ready to go. I'm looking forward to reading your guide and getting a grasp on the rooting process. My goal is to have root within 30 minutes of getting the box inside my house :D

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I would love it if you are able to do this. I have the unlocking part under control and adb is all ready to go. I'm looking forward to reading your guide and getting a grasp on the rooting process. My goal is to have root within 30 minutes of getting the box inside my house :D

It will be the same as any Nexus.. Just fastboot a custom recovery and flash the SU.zip. I have the zip we'll be using available here if anyone wants to grab it now: http://db.tt/YayiWY5F
:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah just reroot... If you follow the exact steps from the first time you might relock the device again and then you will lose stuff. Unlocking is what wipes the device but unless you specifically relock or do an image restore it won't relock on an ota.

Quick question but will OTA Rootkeeper app work with the Nexus 4? I used it on my Nexus 7 and after updating to 4.2 I was able to re-enable root access by running the app.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Got tied up last night guys.. I'll push the guide out here this evening and update it for rooting as soon as we get a solid recovery to use (hint: I'm instructing people to use TWRP, not CWM :))

djmobil2

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Unlocking the bootloader is the best thing to do right out of the box, since it will wipe everything, so it's better to do it before you set up anything on the phone. Once you do that you can root at any time fairly easily without wiping anything :)

I received my new Nexus 4 on Monday 19 and as said before...first thing right out of the box was to unlock the bootloader and root. After looking around for the best way to do this I found a very easy to use tool that made everything fast and easy. It's called Nexus 4 Toolkit v1.1

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I received my new Nexus 4 on Monday 19 and as said before...first thing right out of the box was to unlock the bootloader and root. After looking around for the best way to do this I found a very easy to use tool that made everything fast and easy. It's called Nexus 4 Toolkit v1.1

Just used that Toolkit done it under 10mins. now whats next......

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch