Network speed is averaging .04 mbps

mjacobson7

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I've rooted, and tried many roms with my nexus 4 and I know i've done something to cause the network speed to be averaging about .04 mbps. I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to fix it by doing a couple things and can't find the answer anywhere. I'm using Straight Talk Tmobile in SLC, UT. I use to get 8 mbps easy. This is what i've done to try and fix it:

Verified APN settings are correct
Have flashed different radios
Used the Nexus root toolkit to unroot, and return to stock

I did the whole #*#*4636*#*# and clicked on "run ping test" and it says: Ping IpAddr: Fail: IP addr not reachable

Any advice on what to do?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've rooted, and tried many roms with my nexus 4 and I know i've done something to cause the network speed to be averaging about .04 mbps. I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to fix it by doing a couple things and can't find the answer anywhere. I'm using Straight Talk Tmobile in SLC, UT. I use to get 8 mbps easy. This is what i've done to try and fix it:

Verified APN settings are correct
Have flashed different radios
Used the Nexus root toolkit to unroot, and return to stock

I did the whole #*#*4636*#*# and clicked on "run ping test" and it says: Ping IpAddr: Fail: IP addr not reachable

Any advice on what to do?
Did you exceed your data usage on Straight Talk? They do have "unlimited data" but after about 2GB or so they throttle you to Edge speeds, which is about what you are getting, when your renewal comes up and you pay again it should take off within about 4 hours.

mjacobson7

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Good point, and I forgot to mention that, but this has gone on for at least two months. I mostly use wifi anyway, but it's very annoying that this happens.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Good point, and I forgot to mention that, but this has gone on for at least two months. I mostly use wifi anyway, but it's very annoying that this happens.
I was once on Net10 (essentially Straight Talk), had nothing but issues... slow data speeds, inconsistent service, inability to send MMS (or receive, I can't remember which), but then I switched to Go Phone, it was excellent but pricey for the service (~$65/month), but switched then to Aio Wireless for $45/month on auto refill for unlimited talk, text, and 2.5GB of high speed data. I have since gotten a few people I work with to switch from Straight Talk to Aio, and they can't believe the difference in service they get for the same money... It is on AT&T's network though, not T-Mobile. Honestly, I haven't heard anyone have a good story about ST lately.

Just something to consider... not all MVNO's are the same.

But back to your original problem, this sounds like either a SIM or APN issue, you could have a bad SIM, incorrect APN information, or an incorrectly configured account with Straight Talk (pray this is not the issue, it seems very tough for them to "fix" something)...

If you use something like Network Signal Info, what kind of network type does it show you have when on mobile data... Edge, HSPA, HSPA+ or something else? When network is active it should show something like "(DC)HSPA+ * 42.2Mbps", when data is inactive it should show something like "HSPA * 14.4 Mbps", and if you are only in Edge mode, it will show something like "EDGE * 220 kbps".

Last edited:

mjacobson7

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
So I've had Straight Talk for about a year. Before I started really messing with the phone, I was getting at least 7-8 mbps without a problem. I rooted it and then started noticing some issues. I mostly always see H+ when using my phone. I even enabled the LTE and it wouldn't go faster than .05 mpbs. I'll have to check out that other service you mentioned. I'm about ready to get a new phone because of the issues I've had. I appreciate your feedback.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Send me a PM if you want to switch, they have a refer a friend program, if you stay with them 60 days we each get $25 credit.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty