Need urgent help !!!

sameer kapoor

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Today I purchased a used Nexus 4 8gb. Now by checking the phone deeply I came to know that it is rooted on vesion 4.4.2 . It is also showing two system updates ( 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 ) to be downloaded. As I am not fond of rooting or even don't know what's the use of rooted phone . Should I continue with it or can I update to latest version by downloading and installing the to be downloaded updates ? Is it safe to download and install OTA update on rooted phone ? Thanks in advance.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Today I purchased a used Nexus 4 8gb. Now by checking the phone deeply I came to know that it is rooted on vesion 4.4.2 . It is also showing two system updates ( 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 ) to be downloaded. As I am not fond of rooting or even don't know what's the use of rooted phone . Should I continue with it or can I update to latest version by downloading and installing the to be downloaded updates ? Is it safe to download and install OTA update on rooted phone ? Thanks in advance.
If it is only rooted, you can apply updates and will be fine, and root will be gone. If it has custom recovery, do not apply the updates at all, it could render the phone temporarily unbootable.

If you are completely against rooting, reflash the stock Google images, or use a tool like Wugsfresh to do a factory reflash.

sameer kapoor

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
If it is only rooted, you can apply updates and will be fine, and root will be gone. If it has custom recovery, do not apply the updates at all, it could render the phone temporarily unbootable.

If you are completely against rooting, reflash the stock Google images, or use a tool like Wugsfresh to do a factory reflash.

Thanks, Please let me know how to check whether it has custom recovery or not , I am totally novice in this case . After purchasing the phone I did a soft reset from settings , after that it said " lost root acess" need fix , I selected YES and for the present time it is running fine . It is only showing superuser icon in app drawer, other than that I don't see any other changes. If you need some particular screenshots , Then I will post it here. Thanks again, waiting ....................

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Please let me know how to check whether it has custom recovery or not , I am totally novice in this case . After purchasing the phone I did a soft reset from settings , after that it said " lost root acess" need fix , I selected YES and for the present time it is running fine . It is only showing superuser icon in app drawer, other than that I don't see any other changes. If you need some particular screenshots , Then I will post it here. Thanks again, waiting ....................
Reboot into the boot loader and start recovery... If it starts TWRP, ClockworkMod, or PhilZ, it is custom recovery... If it is just the Android bot, its stock. If it has custom recovery, you are best to restore factory images.

Power off, press and hold VOL DN + POWER until the boot loader menu pops up

sameer kapoor

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Reboot into the boot loader and start recovery... If it starts TWRP, ClockworkMod, or PhilZ, it is custom recovery... If it is just the Android bot, its stock. If it has custom recovery, you are best to restore factory images.

Power off, press and hold VOL DN + POWER until the boot loader menu pops up

OK , after pressing vol dn + power , it shows a screen with a android robot laying down and on the top showing options like start-restart bootloader-recovery mode- power off. and in the bottom it shows device information and secure boot - enabled , lock state - unclocked. I am confused what to do next ?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Select recovery mode and start it, of it is the android your good, if it starts a custom recovery you should flash stock images (for your application). The locked status is irrelevant atm

sameer kapoor

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Select recovery mode and start it, of it is the android your good, if it starts a custom recovery you should flash stock images (for your application). The locked status is irrelevant atm

It shows

ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.4.7

-reboot system now
-install zip
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-backup and restore
-mounts and storage
-advanced

Now which option should I select to go back to normal ?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot , It means I should not do a OTA update ? I don't know how to flash a stock image . I think I have to live with 4.4.2 .
Correct, do not do the OTA update... You will be stuck in recovery and temporarily unbootable.

Flashing the stock images is easy but does require a PC, Mac, or Linux machine with working drivers and ADB, then it is just one command and wait 10 minutes and you are back to pure stock. There are tons of guides online, and tools to automate the process like Wugfresh toolkit... Google would be your friend here.

sameer kapoor

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Correct, do not do the OTA update... You will be stuck in recovery and temporarily unbootable.

Flashing the stock images is easy but does require a PC, Mac, or Linux machine with working drivers and ADB, then it is just one command and wait 10 minutes and you are back to pure stock. There are tons of guides online, and tools to automate the process like Wugfresh toolkit... Google would be your friend here.

Finally , Thanks a lot for your kind support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38