Why didn't you get a 6P?

bujin

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Size, plus the fact that I've come to the conclusion that the specs race isn't worth it. I broke a phone recently and pulled my old MotoX 2013 out - it was still snappy. So I reasoned that there isn't a need for the greatest of specs as long as the day-to-day experience was good

Matt74uk

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
100% because of the size.

I held on the the N5 for an extra year because the N6 was just too big so was time to upgrade this year. Even the N5X might just be a little too large as it doesn't quite fit in my jacket pocket.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
It's all about the size AND size definitely matters babbbbbyyyyy!!!!
I'm hoping next year they can pack 4gb of RAM and have a 64gb Nexus device packaged in a 5" - 5.2" max size so I can swap out my 5X for that future proofed phone.

Agree. Wish they would make both phones the same spec wise for those who don't want a huge phone. That or trim down the huge bezels on the 6P.

myfavthing

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Definitely the size of the devics.The nexus 6p is too big. Tried using the nexus 6 previously but went back to the nexus 5 a week later. Even so, the nexus 5x might be the biggest phone I can manage. 😂

jhnstn00

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I picked the 5x for 3 reasons:
  1. SIZE!!!
  2. the 6P is ug-ly!
  3. Huawei, to date for me, is still a relatively unknown entity

I actually have a Moto X Pure (and the X1 and the X2). I love everything about it except that it is too big for me to use one-handed (seems to be a common theme, eh?). After using it for a month, I finally realized that being forced to always use my device with two hands was making it feel like a lot less of a "mobile phone" and a lot more like a tablet. UGH.

I like the 5X A LOT. It isn't that much of a compromise for me other than it only has 2GB RAM (hope that never becomes an issue) and it doesn't have the Moto apps that bring a goodly amount of convenience to the user experience. Working at learning Tasker to address that.

So the 6P was actually never in the running--nothing about it appeals to me.
What moto feature is missing or not as good in 6.0?

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
What moto feature is missing or not as good in 6.0?

Coming from the Moto X 2014 I can say Ambient Display is a mediocre replacement to Moto Display. I have finally gotten a hang of how to always get it to activate but it's still a poor implementation by comparison.

Double press power is fine to launch the camera but the problem is doing it this way makes the phone re-lock every time you take a picture which is dumb. Motorola's double twist is better thought out.

There is no replacement for Motorola's Moto Assist for reading texts while driving. Third party app Agent works fine as a replacement but again it doesn't quite work as well since it isn't baked into the OS.

jhnstn00

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Size, plus the fact that I've come to the conclusion that the specs race isn't worth it. I broke a phone recently and pulled my old MotoX 2013 out - it was still snappy. So I reasoned that there isn't a need for the greatest of specs as long as the day-to-day experience was good
My current phone, love all of it's functionality but I have to constantly charge throughout the day. Waiting for N6P to save me. Hope I can get used to the size.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for speaking sense. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen people be negative about the 5x for RAM reasons without knowing why they are saying it!

strawbee

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for speaking sense. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen people be negative about the 5x for RAM reasons without knowing why they are saying it!

It's all numbers. 8 is more than 4, so the phone is OBVIOUSLY better! No it's not. When are you ever going to need 8 cores to run Facebook on your phone?

Back to the thread question:
I didn't get the 6p because I think the camera bar is fugly. I had a Galaxy Note 2 at 5.5" and as much as I enjoyed the large screen then to read on the Kindle app, I much prefer my Moto X 2014 now. 5.7" is beyond what I'm willing to tolerate.

I'm not exactly looking forward to missing the Motorola features though. In fact, I'm kinda worried lol.

corgi1

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Mainly size. What I really wanted was a 5.5" Nexus this year. The 6P seems just a bit too large to fit comfortably in jeans pockets so I went with the 5x and I like it as well as I liked my Nexus 5. The fingerprint reader is my favorite feature and the camera is definitely better than the N5. I am going to watch what happens with new Android phones in 2016. Am particularly interested in seeing the Force Touch screens being implemented in Android.

jhnstn00

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Coming from the Moto X 2014 I can say Ambient Display is a mediocre replacement to Moto Display. I have finally gotten a hang of how to always get it to activate but it's still a poor implementation by comparison.

Double press power is fine to launch the camera but the problem is doing it this way makes the phone re-lock every time you take a picture which is dumb. Motorola's double twist is better thought out.

There is no replacement for Motorola's Moto Assist for reading texts while driving. Third party app Agent works fine as a replacement but again it doesn't quite work as well since it isn't baked into the OS.
I hear you.. I'll have to give the N6P a try anyways.

I used to have a home made text read a loud and reply using Tasker prior to Moto Assist. Motorola does have the best touch free text option for driving.
Will definitely miss that and the camera twist. I currently use a 3 button push for my flashlight app. The N6P is going to certainly get confused with that many power button hacks.

johndo#AC

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Size too. 5x is just about right for my size hands. That was until I received my phone case and now it's just a bit unwieldy. I'll manage. Otherwise, I would have bought the 6p.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm passing off my 5X to my brother and getting the 6P, but that's just because I don't keep phones very long. I'm excited to see the differences with the 6P, but I think the 5X is definitely underrated. It does everything well; battery life, display, camera, performance, in-hand feel, software, etc. The one thing it nails more than anything else is the in-hand feel and that goes underappreciated these days. For the price, it really can't be beat.

With the way they're promoting it/advertising it, I'm hoping this phone sells really well. I'm glad I spent my money on it. If they see enough of these leave the warehouses, it might prompt them to make another model with a similar size next year, but higher-end.

veritas_vincit

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh I'm getting one...next year when price is reduced as today's Nexus 6, which happens to be cheap when compared to last year. This way I can have a great device, still with the latest specs, running the latest OS. People will be looking forward to get rid of them next year to upgrade to the latest issued device.

waydavis

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to get the 6P, but could not afford to pay in full Upfront. Walked into T-Mobile and picked up LG V10

nikoll92

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
actually the 6P is just so ugly that i couldn't be using that phone, n also i'm not comfortable with Huawei phone in my pocket...maybe it's just me but it's a horrible device at sight..at the other hand LG has done another great job n that's why i sold my nexus 5 n bought the nexus 5x