HELP: Phone Screen Not Waking After Calls

Bob Garon

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
On top of the bit of lag I experience, every time I get off a phone call the screen never turns on. I have to push the power button 3 or 4 times before it even responds and sometimes that doesn't even do it until the person on the other side hangs up. I don't know if anyone else experiences that, but it's always been that way since I got the phone.

Essentially I take the phone away from my ear to look at it and press the disconnect button except the phone never turns on to light up the screen. I've never had this before ever.

And it's been like that with all the firmware updates so far. Anyone else experience that?

Posted via my Nexus 5X & T-Mobile Unlimited

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
On top of the bit of lag I experience, every time I get off a phone call the screen never turns on. I have to push the power button 3 or 4 times before it even responds and sometimes that doesn't even do it until the person on the other side hangs up. I don't know if anyone else experiences that, but it's always been that way since I got the phone.

Essentially I take the phone away from my ear to look at it and press the disconnect button except the phone never turns on to light up the screen. I've never had this before ever.

And it's been like that with all the firmware updates so far. Anyone else experience that?

Same things happens in safe mode?

Do you have a case or a screen protector on the device?

Bob Garon

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes I have a case and it does not block any sensors on the front of the phone. It is just one of the little rubber minimalist cases.

This issue never happens with speakerphone. It only happens when I have it to my ear and pull it down afterwards.

How do I get into safe mode? Thanks!

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes I have a case and it does not block any sensors on the front of the phone. It is just one of the little rubber minimalist cases.

This issue never happens with speakerphone. It only happens when I have it to my ear and pull it down afterwards.

How do I get into safe mode? Thanks!

Instructions here: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en

Bob Garon

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Okay I tried it in safe mode and the exact same thing does happen. You think it's something with the sensor or do you think it's something with the phone app? Like I said it does not do it when I'm using speaker phone.

Posted my Nexus 7 (2013)

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No screen protector?

As a starting point test your Proximity Sensor is working in general. If it's not then return the device as having a hardware fault.

Install Aida64, make sure enable polling sensors is checked in it's settings and then go the SENSORS section and check that RPR0521 proximity reacts to you holding your hand over the proximity sensor. It should change between 0cm for near and 5cm for far.

As a temporary workaround you can set Power Button ends call to on in Accessibility.

Bob Garon

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
No screen protector?

As a starting point test your Proximity Sensor is working in general. If it's not then return the device as having a hardware fault.

Install Aida64, make sure enable polling sensors is checked in it's settings and then go the SENSORS section and check that RPR0521 proximity reacts to you holding your hand over the proximity sensor. It should change between 0cm for near and 5cm for far.

As a temporary workaround you can set Power Button ends call to on in Accessibility.

The only screen protector I use is the tempered glass one, but it is perfectly clear and does not cover up any of these sensors.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
OK, I know you've said it doesn't cover any of the sensors but is the cutout in the protector for the top speaker grille an inverted L? The proximity sensor along with the lux sensor are directly below the right hand side of the top speaker grill and need to be uncovered (about 4mm x 6mm needs to be uncovered). If the tempered glass covers it the proximity sensor will not work. There is no impact on the lux sensor. Even if the protector has a suitably sized cutout and is slightly wrongly placed it's going to be wonky.

Edit - added a pic to show a protector brand with the correct cutout - this particular brand's initial batch for the 5x did not have the correct cutout.

id_nex5x_glastr_05_grande.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Garon

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
OK, I know you've said it doesn't cover any of the sensors but is the cutout in the protector for the top speaker grille an inverted L? The proximity sensor along with the lux sensor are directly below the right hand side of the top speaker grill and need to be uncovered (about 4mm x 6mm needs to be uncovered). If the tempered glass covers it the proximity sensor will not work. There is no impact on the lux sensor. Even if the protector has a suitably sized cutout and is slightly wrongly placed it's going to be wonky.

Edit - added a pic to show a protector brand with the correct cutout - this particular brand's initial batch for the 5x did not have the correct cutout.

View attachment 211922

No mine is not like the image. I should get that one and try it. With the glass being clear why is the sensor being prohibited from working?

Thank you for your help!

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No worries.

I think the prox sensor is IR based and tuned to avoid any IR reflectance from the screen glass from registering (or the screen glass is built to be non IR reflective). But the screen protector glass and adhesive although clear to visible light will be IR reflective so registers as something near to the prox sensor.

Bob Garon

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I went ahead and purchased the new tempered glass screen protector. That will arrive in the next day or so. Thanks for your help!