Nexus 5x or Moto X Pure $400[SOLVED]

xJake4

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hello AC community, I originally posted a s6 or 5x thread a few months back and was about to hop on the 5x, but due to reports of battery life not lasting a day on a single charge, I'm wondering which is the better of the two in terms of battery life, and device longevity (plan on keeping for at least 2 - 3 years)

Also with Lenovo now getting rid of the Motorola name, would it still be safe to invest into a Moto X?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5x or Moto X Pure $400

Well, I love the moto x pure, and find it to be about tied with the 5x in terms of overall experience. However keep in mind the Moto x pure probably has received its last major operating system update. The 5x has quite a bit of monthly security and major updates ahead of it.

xJake4

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site

However keep in mind the Moto x pure probably has received its last major operating system update. The 5x has quite a bit of monthly security and major updates ahead of it.

Really? I thought every OEM guarantees at least two 2 major OS updates, especially motorola?

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Did they change their mind about the '14 Moto X? Last I heard it wasn't getting marshmallow, which goes against the two updates thing you mentioned. Technically that phone got 0 major OS updates.

I purchased 7 Motorola phones (for myself and my family) and an accessory or 2 during the google era, and loved every one of them. I have enough professional experience with Lenovo and am so underwhelmed by the latest phones and disappointed in support since the sale that I am out of the Moto business for good now.

I'm comfortable with the features and performance of the 5x, if not super excited. I haven't had trouble getting through the day on a charge, except for the day that I spent in coverage hell visiting my mother in law.

For having owned 7 Motorola devices you are rather uninformed about recent Motorola updates.

First, only 2 models of the 2014 Moto X did not receive 6.0. They happen to have been the 2 US carrier versions ( Verizon and AT&T). Those 2 models DID receive 1 update however, kit Kat to lollipop so you are incorrect that they received 0 updates.

However, the Unlocked version of the 2014 X (2014 Pure) has received marshmallow. Not only that but the 2014 pure has had 6.0 for over 2 months now, which means that Motorola's 2014 flagship beat the majority of 2015 flagships to marshmallow! (notable exceptions being Nexus and the 2015 pure) Also consider that Motorola's 2014 midrange phone (Moto G) is now receiving marshmallow, which means that Moto's 2014 mid range has still beaten many manufacturers 2015 flagships to 6.0!

So yes, while I do feel bad for those who bought 2014 carrier branded Moto xs, there is ample evidence that Motorola has and will support its unlocked devices in the future.

There is no arguing that Nexus will continue to get quicker updates than Moto. However the statement that the 2015 pure has received its last software update is demonstrably wrong.

Posted via the Android Central App

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I mentioned that my phones were purchased (or at least designed and manufactured) in the google era, so that should give you an idea when I was really paying attention to Motorola. The update experience I had with all of my Motorola phones was bad, and Motorola (under Lenovo at later stages) did a terrible job of keeping customers informed. Note: I was even a member of MFN and was invited to participate in soak tests on a couple of these devices.

I don't know if the 2 update rule is a formal thing, but if it is it's a little disingenuous to applaud 2014 updates when Lolipop was in use on other phones when the '14 moto x was released.

Dude, you are engaging in some serious revisionist history. The 2014 moto x was released in September of 14, and lollipop in November of 14. So please tell me again how it is disingenuous to point out that the carrier versions did indeed recieve one major update.

And are you seriously complaining about the 2013 Moto G (which is on 5.1, originally released with jelly bean) not getting anymore updates? Please find me one mid grade 2013 phone that has gotten marshmallow. One. Nexus 5 was not a mid grade phone in 2013. While you are at it, name one non-Nexus 2014 flagship phone that beat the 2014 pure to marshmallow.

And sorry, if you thought that Verizon would allow quick updates on droids you were fooled by the big red machine.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

The problem is with any device but a nexus, especially one that is already 6 months old, is we don't really know is there will be any more major updates. Moto has a good track record, but googles is perfect. If you're buying a phone today to use for 2 years and want updates then the nexus is the only choice. Or wait 12 months and see if the 2015 pure gets N and then buy it.

If you just want a solid phone that will still perform well in 2 years I would get a pure. But I wouldn't whine in a year if Lenovo says they aren't putting another major update on the pure.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

For having owned 7 Motorola devices you are rather uninformed about recent Motorola updates.

First, only 2 models of the 2014 Moto X did not receive 6.0. They happen to have been the 2 US carrier versions ( Verizon and AT&T). Those 2 models DID receive 1 update however, kit Kat to lollipop so you are incorrect that they received 0 updates.

However, the Unlocked version of the 2014 X (2014 Pure) has received marshmallow. Not only that but the 2014 pure has had 6.0 for over 2 months now, which means that Motorola's 2014 flagship beat the majority of 2015 flagships to marshmallow! (notable exceptions being Nexus and the 2015 pure) Also consider that Motorola's 2014 midrange phone (Moto G) is now receiving marshmallow, which means that Moto's 2014 mid range has still beaten many manufacturers 2015 flagships to 6.0!

So yes, while I do feel bad for those who bought 2014 carrier branded Moto xs, there is ample evidence that Motorola has and will support its unlocked devices in the future.

There is no arguing that Nexus will continue to get quicker updates than Moto. However the statement that the 2015 pure has received its last software update is demonstrably wrong.

I agree with the statements above.

Also, despite Motorola's refusal to point fingers, consider that the devices that were not updated as expected were CARRIER BRANDED devices.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

In terms of battery life they are probably close. Longevity, the surer thing is the Nexus, that's for sure. Other things to consider: Nexus has fingerprint scanner and better camera in my opinion.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

In terms of battery life they are probably close. Longevity, the surer thing is the Nexus, that's for sure. Other things to consider: Nexus has fingerprint scanner and better camera in my opinion.

True enough on battery life and longevity.

I think the camera on the 5x might be marginally better, but I think in the Moto X Pure's favor are:
  • better screen
  • much better speaker
  • build quality (better material choices)
  • expandable storage

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

The problem is with any device but a nexus, especially one that is already 6 months old, is we don't really know is there will be any more major updates. Moto has a good track record, but googles is perfect. If you're buying a phone today to use for 2 years and want updates then the nexus is the only choice. Or wait 12 months and see if the 2015 pure gets N and then buy it.

If you just want a solid phone that will still perform well in 2 years I would get a pure. But I wouldn't whine in a year if Lenovo says they aren't putting another major update on the pure.

"Nexus devices will get quicker updates than motorola." is a fair and accurate statement. Suggesting that the 2015 Pure will not get N is simple scare mongering not supported by anything other than your imagination.

dennphill

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site

For the record, I was looking at a Moto X Pure and the Nexus 5X. My decision was to buy the Nexus 5X, 32 GB due t price. They dropped the price on Google site, but then found new items =- no choice of color - at BuyDig for $329.99 for unlocked, Carbon black, 32GB. Seemed a good deal for me, so I bought it. Got it in a few days. So far, working OK.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

"Nexus devices will get quicker updates than motorola." is a fair and accurate statement. Suggesting that the 2015 Pure will not get N is simple scare mongering not supported by anything other than your imagination.
You're probably right. I'm a huge moto fan and should have said "may have..." instead of "probably has..." received its last major update. I really want moto to continue to be nexus-like in their support.