Unable to transfer pictures and videos from phone to PC

sojo504

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Have a Nexus 5x with Android 7.1.1 operating system. Once attached to PC I can see the connection but screen indicates that there are no pictures or videos found. I have researched on the web but have found nothing that works. I can find nowhere on the phone anything that indicates a USB icon or anywhere to switch a default of Media Device to Camera. Am very frustrated with this O/S (phone) and would like someone to give me the definitive answer to this problem. Thanks.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Drag down the notification bar; you should see an item that says something like "USB Charging" - tap on it and then select File Transfer mode.

Open Windows Explorer and, in the left pane, look for "Nexus 5X" click on it and proceed from there.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The mode you want is MTP (or "Conected as a media device".) If it's not, tap the notice and change it to MTP.

On the PC, click on the Nexus icon, then on Phone, then on DCIM. Your pictures will be in there or in some subfolder in there (like Camera). Your videos may be in there or in some other folder - check your camera app settings to see where it stores videos.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The mode you want is MTP (or "Conected as a media device".) If it's not, tap the notice and change it to MTP.

On the PC, click on the Nexus icon, then on Phone, then on DCIM. Your pictures will be in there or in some subfolder in there (like Camera). Your videos may be in there or in some other folder - check your camera app settings to see where it stores videos.

Both should work - File Transfer Mode or Media Transfer mode. Note that Google specifically suggests using File Transfer mode: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2840804?hl=en

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Isn't MTP the same as File Transfer Mode? I think different manufacturers sometimes use different terms for the same thing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the same. They probably didn't include "MTP" in the name to avoid confusion, although it probably also led to some confusion.:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii