BEWARE - Many bad USB-C Cables Out There!!

thacounty

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Edit: Started a thread on ChoeTech USB A to C cable.

The main gist of the thread and cable, it works great! Go buy one!

Last edited:

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Where to buy a genuine car charger + USB-C cable?

So in my first day of owning this phone, one of my 9 persian cats seems to have eaten a bit of the long USB-C cable, I put some tape on it and it's working fine but I wanna buy a spare one just in case. I tried searching on Amazon but all I could find was some 3rd party ones.

Where can I buy the official Huawei long USB-C cable? Also is there an official Huawei car charger cable for this?

Amaz0n links would be appreciated so I can buy them

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Where to buy a genuine car charger + USB-C cable?

Hello! You should just be able to type your search paramaters into amazon then you can buy them right there. Also check google store or ebay.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

So in my first day of owning this phone, one of my 9 persian cats seems to have eaten a bit of the long USB-C cable, I put some tape on it and it's working fine but I wanna buy a spare one just in case. I tried searching on Amazon but all I could find was some 3rd party ones.

Don't sleep on the 3rd Parties.... Benson Leung, a Google engineer has been putting in reviews on Amazon.com, reporting the good and the bad. If he says a third party cable is OK, I'd trust him.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I bought the one offered on Play. Cost me about $15 after taxes and shipping.

Edit...missed the car charger part. I bought the USB A to C cable for $15. If your other charger takes USB you can use it this way.

Sorry for the confusion, OP.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

No reason not to buy a third part cable, they are fine. One more thing, the issue that concern's Benson is more of a feature then a bug. Technically he's correct about USB-A to USB-C cables, they should advertise only 1.5A not 3A, however there are a lot of car chargers that are capable of providing 2.5A which will fast charge the 6P. Chargers are self limiting so they won't blow themselves up, if you combine a cable that Benson disses with a charger that's rated for 2.5A per port or more then the 6P will charge as fast with a car charger as with the Huawei provided USB-C charger. Look for a charger that says it uses Qualcom fast charging and is rated at 2.5A per port.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site

I bought the one offered on Play. Cost me about $15 after taxes and shipping.

Edit...missed the car charger part. I bought the USB A to C cable for $15. If your other charger takes USB you can use it this way.

Sorry for the confusion, OP.

The cable I am seeing are all the normal USB to USB-C which connects to the phone, that is NOT the cable that my cats ate, they ate the long cable which has USB-C connectors on both ends, that's the one I want since my laptop has a Thunderbolt/USB 3.1 port, I wanna get the same cable

also I am really confused with the lots of options available regarding these cables and car chargers, can someone please post Amazon links to just show me what I need to buy?

thanks

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

The cable I am seeing are all the normal USB to USB-C which connects to the phone, that is NOT the cable that my cats ate, they ate the long cable which has USB-C connectors on both ends, that's the one I want since my laptop has a Thunderbolt/USB 3.1 port, I wanna get the same cable

also I am really confused with the lots of options available regarding these cables and car chargers, can someone please post Amazon links to just show me what I need to buy?

thanks

Benson Leung has a Google+ Collection with all the info you could need. He even has an FAQ with links to suggested chargers.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
So which cables offer quick charging and aren't overly priced (preferably 6 ft from Amazon)?

I've read so much and it's kinda confusing b/c I see plenty of reviews saying "it didn't work at first but now it does after I got in contact w/ the company" etc etc.

I've looked through this Benson guy's work (greatly appreciated) but I'm not entirely sure which of those would offer quick charging. It's not 100% necessary but I would like it w/ my Anker charging port.

Specifically I'm looking at these: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8GU2OC?keywords=usb type c&qid=1450366246&ref_=sr_1_6&sr=8-6

Looks like it should be legit but I'm curious if anyone has tried them

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
So which cables offer quick charging and aren't overly priced (preferably 6 ft from Amazon)?

I've read so much and it's kinda confusing b/c I see plenty of reviews saying "it didn't work at first but now it does after I got in contact w/ the company" etc etc.

I've looked through this Benson guy's work (greatly appreciated) but I'm not entirely sure which of those would offer quick charging. It's not 100% necessary but I would like it w/ my Anker charging port.

Specifically I'm looking at these: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8GU2OC?keywords=usb type c&qid=1450366246&ref_=sr_1_6&sr=8-6

Looks like it should be legit but I'm curious if anyone has tried them

By the official USB spec, a cable that has the phone reporting as "charging rapidly" and has a plug other than USB-C anywhere in the chain is a non-conforming cable. So, you need a 5v/3A charger with a USB-C output and a USB-C to USB-C cable to get full "charging rapidly" capability and not risk damage to the source device (the charger, laptop, battery pack). "Charging rapidly" is part of the USB Power Delivery spec, introduced with USB-C.

"Charging Rapidly" should not be confused with Qualcomm's Quick Charge, it's a different animal and likely will negate the need for Qualcomm's Quick Charge as USB-C permeates the market.

The cable you linked will work fine but it won't report "charging rapidly", and it shouldn't since it's connecting to a legacy USB-A port.

As a point of reference - my phone was down to 50-60% last night, plugged it in to a USB-A source (a HooToo multi-port charge box I got on NeweggFlash) using a confirmed compliant iOrange-E cable and it was charged to 100% in a little over an hour.

Last edited:

Hawgee

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I just ordered a Nexus 6P. Which cable would I need to order from Amazon to connect to my computer USB?

Along with the Charger and USB-C to USB-C, you will get a rather short USB-C to standard USB-2. Will not transfer data at USB-3 specs. The shorter cable will do it.
Welcome home and enjoy the new phone.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
If Benson hates it that's the cable you should buy. Technically Benson is correct, the USB 3.1 specifies that USB-A to USB-C cables should advertise 1.5A, not 3A, but this assumes crap USB chargers. Chargers are self limiting, they will only deliver their rated current, they won't blow up. Most chargers these days are rated for 2.5A and that's what they will deliver with a non-compliant cable which will quick charger the 6P. The compliant cables will deliver at most 1.5A and in fact it's usually less. I have a number cables, both compliant and non-compliant, and a collection of car chargers and I've tried a lot of combinations. A non-compliant cable with a 2.5A rated car charger fast charges the 6P and it's perfectly safe.

I should mention that I was designing computers before Benson was born, I designed a couple of supercomputers, currently I do FPGA design for high performance systems so I know a thing or two about this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty