Micro Sim to Nano Sim? Help!

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Okay, this is going to sound like a really stupid question, but it's the first time I've come across this.

My current phone (LG G2) has a Micro Sim card. I'm reading the 6P takes a Nano Sim card. So, I the question is, what is the best course of action in a situation such as this if I wanted to switch to the 6P on my current Verizon account?

I've read several places that Verizon won't simply give me (or even let me buy) a new Nano Sim card for my account. I don't know if this is true or not, either, but - based on my experience with VZW - I figured I'd be more likely to get accurate information here than from them.

I know this is a sort of general question, but I posted here because I have a feeling I won't be the only one interested in this phone who will have this question.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may be able to offer.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Just go to an official store and they probably won't even charge you.

I'm on t-Mobile so you might not have this option but what they did for me is gave me (for free) a new sim that was perforated for each sim size. So you would punch out the micro size for your G2 and then when the 6P shows up you take the sim out, punch out the nano size and you're good to go. No cutting or extra trips to the store.

Hope this helps and good luck

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon for the exact same issue. They said go to a regular Verizon store and they will give you the nano sim card, no charge.

choclab1

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Or purchase a sim cutter tool. It will be here by the time your new phone comes. As soon as the phone arrives cut your sim and put the card in. No standing in the lines at your store for a new sim. That's what I did when I purchased the nexus 6 a year ago.

Posted via the Android Central App

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Just go to an official store and they probably won't even charge you.

I'm on t-Mobile so you might not have this option but what they did for me is gave me (for free) a new sim that was perforated for each sim size. So you would punch out the micro size for your G2 and then when the 6P shows up you take the sim out, punch out the nano size and you're good to go. No cutting or extra trips to the store.

Hope this helps and good luck

First of all, thank you all for responding. All your suggestions were very helpful. But when I read So Cold's post a light bulb went on for me. It reminded me that, lo these many years ago, when I got this phone I remembered thinking it odd that it looked like the actual SIM part of the SIM card they gave me was mounted on cardboard and looked like it had perforations around it. I just checked and, sure enough, it looks like it's actually a Nano SIM mounted on a cardboard Micro SIM holder with perforations around it so you can punch out the Nano SIM card. D'oh! I remember noticing it at the time, but the significance never struck me until now. Should have looked before I posted here. Lesson learned. But, again, I sincerely thank you all for your assistance. It's one of the reasons I love this place. :)

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Glad I came across this thread. I'm on Verizon and will be getting a 5X so I'll run into the same issue. I guess I'll take it to a corporate store when the phone shows up. No sense wasting money on a cutter and risking damaging the card if they'll just give me one for free.

WisemanWV

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I talked to Verizon for the same thing. They told me to take my SIM to the store and they could cut it down.

rajendra82

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about Verizon, but AT&T has never charged me for a new SIMcard. I have done this a few times, with my Nexus 4 needing a microSIM, when moving on from my Note 1 (which was subsidized by AT&T by the way). All the store clerk did was ask for my account information, then took a MicroSIM out of the drawer, activated it, and handed it over. The fact that I was going to sell the subsidized Note 1 on eBay did not matter. All they cared about was that I fulfilled my 2 year contract with any phone I wanted to use on the network, and were very happy to supply me with the necessary SIM to do so. Same thing happened when my wife switched from and HTC Status to an iPhone 4. I have already told the people at the store that my Nexus 6P is coming, and they said, come on over when it does, and we will take care of you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non