64GB and 128GB Out of Stock

Orlando Sablon

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I ordered the 128 GB aluminum on day one, with nexus protection, it came up to a whooping $787. Gotta love working hard to spend on tech, especially considering I always upgrade my nexus devices yearly. FYI, NOV 10-12 with preorder on day 1..

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
One you said nexus 6p price is not under cut much less compared to similar products.(Now by price referring to the consumer price) Second I am going on your build cost of $200 to $300 build cost as you stated as average for smart phones similar to 6p. This concludes me saying Nexus 6p has same build cost that competitor but competitors mark up is higher. Then going I argued that if keeping build cost at going rate but under cutting going rate of mark up with add low demand would leave with less than going rate of profit return for single device compared to competitor.

Yes I agree as well 5X not very profitable device though regardless if stated or not, I meant if 5x or 6p neither going be very profitable.

Even separate 5X from the argument Google was just making 6P it still wouldn't be any more profitable. In your terms of "volume" what I am saying on 6P is that because the build cost is at going rate but markup is under going rate with low demand(volume) would leave profit under the going rate(average) vs similar competitive device.

FYI when I am referring to "demand" I am saying: the amount the product is sold overall but as well over time and the speed of which product is sold. A low demand will have a small amount devices sold but also demand for product will not last long. A high demand will have a large amount products sold and demand for product will last longer. Why is this relevant will like try state earlier. The build cost is based on buying parts in bulk and technology get cheaper over time. If your demand is high and then continually make more profit over time because same product is getting cheaper to make.

Google and OEM Competitor are going in on same build cost as there investment but Google under cuts average markup and has below average demand can not be profitable.

Moto X Pure build quality,cameras,processor and down glass type are lower level which would equate cheaper hardware all together. The MXP also doesn't have new android hub chip or fingerprint reader(FYI MXP has extra moto chipset not equal to andriod hub in cost because MXP chipset has used since the original Moto X). Moto has a history products and Moto X line is not new and actually was a hit in it first gen. Moto's market and demand is small but it's part of bigger market of majority where Nexus is market niche and is of minority. Regardless since Moto X Pure and 6P are not same class device with same build cost that if the Moto X Pure make profit or not is not direct correlation of what 6P will do because it's not apples to apples comparison.

I never said they were as profitable as devices from companies like Samsung, just that they are profitable. I'm not saying they're the most profitable, I am just saying they are profitable, no matter how little it is. And with phone subsidies going away in the near future, those record profits that Apple and Samsung enjoy won't be as high as they were.

So let's go on the high side and say a $300 build cost for the 6pp, and it's selling for $500. Between the little they advertise the Nexus series, and the R&D is lower since many times they use most of an OEM's tech, you're telling me there is no profit after that is taken away from that $200 difference?

May I ask where you are getting that Motorola uses substandard materials? That Android Hub you reference was brought about by Motorola, and Google apparently appropriated it for themselves. As far as for how they sell, I would be surprised if the Moto XPE outsold the 6p. Remember they're not sold through carriers anymore so they don't have that exposure anymore, and I haven't seen any advertising for it either. The XPE and the 6p are in the same class, even though it's priced more in line with the 5x. And yes I know Motorola, I've owned three of their devices since 2013, the original Moto X, Droid Maxx and Turbo. Before I decided to go with a 6p, I was deciding between it and the XPE.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I meant will they restock before the 25th, the preorder deadline for the 50$ card from google.

Also, im not sure which model to buy, can i get some opinions?
im not sure how much the OS will take up, but im looking at the 64 gig...
I will load a bunch of movies, books, and tv shows, as well as music onto it, and not sure how much space ill need to do that.

I talked with the Google Store last night about that very same issue. They told me that what I needed to do was to make my selections (graphite 128GB with protect) and then hit the wait list button below. That will put me on the list and since I got in the list before the 25th, I will be eligible for the Playstore credit as well. I confirmed this by calling a second time with another CSR. So I went ahead and did it.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I talked with the Google Store last night about that very same issue. They told me that what I needed to do was to make my selections (graphite 128GB with protect) and then hit the wait list button below. That will put me on the list and since I got in the list before the 25th, I will be eligible for the Playstore credit as well. I confirmed this by calling a second time with another CSR. So I went ahead and did it.

I did the wait list thing as well. Unlike you I am still debating between the two devices but figure I could be put on the wait list.

Though you said if you are on the wait list you can still get the credit to me this means it might not be back in stock by the 25th.

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
All options out of stock in the UK

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 96948.jpg
    96948.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 47

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I never said they were as profitable as devices from companies like Samsung, just that they are profitable. I'm not saying they're the most profitable, I am just saying they are profitable, no matter how little it is. And with phone subsidies going away in the near future, those record profits that Apple and Samsung enjoy won't be as high as they were.

Well I believe we different ideas of profit all together. Because competitors with similiar devices are putting average investment and marking up the average their profit will be a least average or better if expected demand is sizeable. Google investment is same as the competitors if looking into build cost. They have below average mark up ( markup doesn't cover marketing which I stated earlier) then they low demand the profit they earn is not worth the investment into that product. (Strictly look at profit made by product being sold).

So let's go on the high side and say a $300 build cost for the 6pp, and it's selling for $500. Between the little they advertise the Nexus series, and the R&D is lower since many times they use most of an OEM's tech, you're telling me there is no profit after that is taken away from that $200 difference?

May I ask where you are getting that Motorola uses substandard materials? That Android Hub you reference was brought about by Motorola, and Google apparently appropriated it for themselves. As far as for how they sell, I would be surprised if the Moto XPE outsold the 6p. Remember they're not sold through carriers anymore so they don't have that exposure anymore, and I haven't seen any advertising for it either. The XPE and the 6p are in the same class, even though it's priced more in line with the 5x. And yes I know Motorola, I've owned three of their devices since 2013, the original Moto X, Droid Maxx and Turbo. Before I decided to go with a 6p, I was deciding between it and the XPE.
Plastic is cheaper than metal.Their Camera is not level of tech as competitors. (Camera as lot pixels but really isn't a top line chipset) Android Hub is new more advance Chip the Motorola's designated chip which is mass produced. This makes Moto chip cheap. The display is older generation because does not have quality of current displays that are currently out. Doesn't have fingerprint reader or a 810 chip. Again not a Apple's to Apple's comparison.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the 128 GB aluminum on day one, with nexus protection, it came up to a whooping $787. Gotta love working hard to spend on tech, especially considering I always upgrade my nexus devices yearly. FYI, NOV 10-12 with preorder on day 1..

I ordered the exact same but without nexus protect and got the NOV 10-12 delivery estimate as well. The odd thing is that I didn't order day one like you I ordered October 8 and still got the same delivery time frame as a lot of first dayers.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Well I believe we different ideas of profit all together. Because competitors with similiar devices are putting average investment and marking up the average their profit will be a least average or better if expected demand is sizeable. Google investment is same as the competitors if looking into build cost. They have below average mark up ( markup doesn't cover marketing which I stated earlier) then they low demand the profit they earn is not worth the investment into that product. (Strictly look at profit made by product being sold).

Plastic is cheaper than metal.Their Camera is not level of tech as competitors. (Camera as lot pixels but really isn't a top line chipset) Android Hub is new more advance Chip the Motorola's designated chip which is mass produced. This makes Moto chip cheap. The display is older generation because does not have quality of current displays that are currently out. Doesn't have fingerprint reader or a 810 chip. Again not a Apple's to Apple's comparison.

Google is actually putting less of an investment in their devices than most other companies. AOSP is already being done for their hardware partners, so that's not really counted. They get an OEM to build the device of their designs using that OEMs model as a starting point, sometimes even using almost the same model it self with a different shell. Any money made over your costs is profit, plain and simple.

Yes they use some plastic, but also metal, leather , wood as well. The sensor hub is the same thing Motorola did in 2013, because there was nothing available at the time that could do that, so they did a custom chip. With the advent of the SD 800 series chips, there was no need for a separate chip since they have that built in. It's literally pointless to have a dedicated co processor chip when the same thing is already available in the SOC you're already using. As far as the camera, the chipset isn't the issue, it's the size and quality of the sensor that has the most bearing on quality in terms of hardware, and post processing software in the non hardware aspect that make a good camera. The display is also a different tech than what they have been using. I have a Droid Turbo currently, which has an AMOLED screen with similar performance to the Nexus 6, and neither are great. Sure it's detail is there, but the brightness is about half of what most of the competition gets and about a third of what the X Pure gets. Even with it cranked up all the way, it's barely usable in sunlight. Yes the fingerprint scanner is a plus, but I wouldn't say the same about the 810 until we see it's performance and if heat will be an issue, which is the reason Motorola went with the 808 in the Pure.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Man, I waited to long to pull the trigger and now they are out of stock. Looks like only 32 GB of aluminum and graphite are left. I definitely would like a 64GB. Now i have to stalk the page checking for stock to be available again. Here's to hoping they get more before the 25th so I can take advantage of the $50.00 play store credit.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Man, I waited to long to pull the trigger and now they are out of stock. Looks like only 32 GB of aluminum and graphite are left. I definitely would like a 64GB. Now i have to stalk the page checking for stock to be available again. Here's to hoping they get more before the 25th so I can take advantage of the $50.00 play store credit.

Just hit Join Wait list and they will let you know when it is back in stock.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I'm really excited about the Nexus 6P. Last year there were a lot of criticisms of the Nexus 6, even before it was shipped. While I don't blame reviewers for their criticisms, the Nexus 6P IMO is giving them less to criticize. The price is better, it has the latest Amoled Samsung screen, It has a fingerprint scanner, and the build quality is better.

The only unknowns are the battery and camera.

Camera is not too far behind from the Galaxy S6, according to this site: iPhone 6s camera ranked by DxOMark – no better (or worse) than iPhone 6 | 9to5Mac

Nicholas Richards1

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
thanks, I forgot about that route. but you don't get the two year extended warranty. Also if you ordered one from Goggle and one from Huawei, which you think would ship first?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Google is actually putting less of an investment in their devices than most other companies. AOSP is already being done for their hardware partners, so that's not really counted. They get an OEM to build the device of their designs using that OEMs model as a starting point, sometimes even using almost the same model it self with a different shell. Any money made over your costs is profit, plain and simple.

Cost device are really close to build cost. Nexus devices appeal to small niche market. The market is not big enough and demand does not last long enough to generate any real profit. Nexus program has been like this for years the 5x and 6p are no different. It's been stated by reputable tech news blogs that OEM partners don't make much profit off the hardware they make in Nexus Program. They purely do it for RD,on next Android OS to use for non Nexus devices and lesser OEM's do if also for the publicity.

My op that you counter argued. I never debated that they didn't make any profit but they profit they made was little. Our debate was over the worth of profit. You argued that 6P is similiar other devices and make same profit because similar build costs. I argued they did make same profit because though similar build costs which was average that the mark up was below average for the build cost. Then add the face the 6p would low demand that over profit would little. Now you say "Any money earned over cost is profit plain and simply" well duh but debate was over the amount profit not if their was any profit made.
Yes they use some plastic, but also metal, leather , wood as well. The sensor hub is the same thing Motorola did in 2013, because there was nothing available at the time that could do that, so they did a custom chip. With the advent of the SD 800 series chips, there was no need for a separate chip since they have that built in. It's literally pointless to have a dedicated co processor chip when the same thing is already available in the SOC you're already using. As far as the camera, the chipset isn't the issue, it's the size and quality of the sensor that has the most bearing on quality in terms of hardware, and post processing software in the non hardware aspect that make a good camera. The display is also a different tech than what they have been using. I have a Droid Turbo currently, which has an AMOLED screen with similar performance to the Nexus 6, and neither are great. Sure it's detail is there, but the brightness is about half of what most of the competition gets and about a third of what the X Pure gets. Even with it cranked up all the way, it's barely usable in sunlight. Yes the fingerprint scanner is a plus, but I wouldn't say the same about the 810 until we see it's performance and if heat will be an issue, which is the reason Motorola went with the 808 in the Pure.

I not simply talking performance or can the perceived quality of hardware. I am talking about cost of the hardware. MXP parts cost less expensive. (older hardware, lesser grade, mass produced parts). N6P uses expensive part (Newer hardware, higher grade, more senors, new exclusive chip. The principle of chip maybe same the chip is to a reworked hardware wise moto chip but a chip built form scratch. The chip is not wide spread like the moto chip.Taking chip out makes little difference)

Less expensive parts equal low build cost
more expensive parts equals higher build cost

Not a apples to apples comparison.

Last edited:

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My op that you counter argued. I never debated that they didn't make any profit but they profit they made was little. Our debate was over the worth of profit. You argued that 6P is similiar other devices and make same profit because similar build costs. I argued they did make same profit because though similar build costs which was average that the mark up was below average for the build cost. Then add the face the 6p would low demand that over profit would little. Now you say "Any money earned over cost is profit plain and simply" well duh but debate was over the amount profit not if their was any profit made.

I not simply talking performance or can the perceived quality of hardware. I am talking about cost of the hardware. MXP parts cost less expensive. (older hardware, lesser grade, mass produced parts). N6P uses expensive part (Newer hardware, higher grade, more senors, new exclusive chip. The principle of chip maybe same the chip is to a reworked hardware wise moto chip but a chip built form scratch. The chip is not wide spread like the moto chip.Taking chip out makes little difference)

Less expensive parts equal low build cost
more expensive parts equals higher build cost

Not a apples to apples comparison.

They weren't that far off in terms of the Nexus 6 vs Note 4 last year (Nexus 6 32GB was $649, Note 4 32GB was $700). This year Samsung upped the price of their Note series significantly, getting $700 for the 32GB vs the 6p getting $550 for their 32GB model. But even before this year's or the Nexus 4 & 5, the Nexus 1 and and Samsung's Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus were getting as least as much as their rivals. While recent models may not have had as much profit as the early devices, which also has to do with the OEM since LG, Asus, and Huawei have all been able to offer their own devices at an affordable price point, they're not selling them for $10 above cost (except maybe for the 5x).

May I ask where you're getting that they're using older hardware? All of the components, except for the display since I don't know where they sourced it from, are the same components used in other devices out this year. The camera is an updated unit from last year's Droid Turbo, the 808 is used in many current models (usually in lieu of the 810 due to its tendency to overheat), the RAM is the same as many others are using (except for Samsung who switched to DDR 4, which is probably one of the reasons they are selling at a higher price point). But while it may not be bleeding edge, the fact that they have offered what most other competitors are but at $100-200 less should say something. And since they're not going to sell them at a loss, that means that other companies are padding their profit even more than they have to. There's two ways to look at it, sell some devices at a high profit, or sell more models at a lower profit. The former looks very good to board members and investors, while the latter gets you more customers. And if you don't screw it up, they will be return customers. Once people (at least in the US anyway) start seeing how much they're actually paying for their devices (something that wasn't as clear with phone subsidies in place, I'd imagine they'll look to devices that can still fulfill their needs, but at a lower price point. I imagine that OEMs have known that the end of subsidies were coming and that's why you're seeing these low prices flagships start to show up more visibly, because not everyone is going to want to shell out $700+ for highend devices going forward, especially if we're looking at another recession in the near future like some are predicting.

ydooby

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
You can still pre-order the 64GB it via Huawei directly :
Nexus 6P - GetHuawei.com

When I did this, I saved $50 on sales tax. Also, they have a decent financing option if you don't want to use project Fi.
I just saw this post and tried to get the phone via Huawei to possibly save on tax, but the site now tells me that even the 32GB versions are out of stock, even though they're in stock per Google's site. It also gives me a "404 Page Not Found" error when I tried adding the phone to the cart, so I'm hoping that it's more of a temporary technical glitch than really being out of stock. Anyone sees anything different?

AdamP28

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

I just talked to a rep who said I would only get the promo if an actual order was placed before 10/25, waitlist doesn't count. I asked him to confirm since I had seen otherwise here and he confirmed the same thing with another support team. He also pointed out in the fine print - "Promotional offer available while Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X supplies last, no rain checks." On the plus side, he did let slip that they add inventory each Wednesday to both the GStore and Project Fi, so hopefully we'll see some more 64 and 128s added then.

Definitely getting some mixed messages from support reps on this issue...