Android File Transfer on OSX with Nexus 6P

choubaka

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

I having a problem when I plug my 6P into my iMac. Android File Transfer opens automatically but always gives me the error that my phone is locked. Anyone encountered this problem?

Thanks!

LocationDudeNYC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Make sure Kies and/or Samsung Smart Switch is not installed. That will make AT error out. I know because same thing just happened to me 10 minutes ago. Restart Mac and 6P. Also, you may want to repair permissions.

choubaka

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Make sure Kies and/or Samsung Smart Switch is not installed. That will make AT error out. I know because same thing just happened to me 10 minutes ago. Restart Mac and 6P. Also, you may want to repair permissions.

I restarted my Mac and my 6P and I still get the same error... How do you repair permissions?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

I having a problem when I plug my 6P into my iMac. Android File Transfer opens automatically but always gives me the error that my phone is locked. Anyone encountered this problem?

Thanks!

1. did you unlock the phone when the device is connected?

2. you have to select what you want to do with the usb connection. I am not sure where to find the option(I dont have a nexus 6p yet) but it should be somewhere in Storage-->menu-->usb connection

This articles shows an image of the option you will see [Android M Feature Spotlight] Formal MIDI Support And Several Other Improvements For Audio Input And Output Are On The Way

pick file transfer. Charging only will be the default

choubaka

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
1. did you unlock the phone when the device is connected?

2. you have to select what you want to do with the usb connection. I am not sure where to find the option(I dont have a nexus 6p yet) but it should be somewhere in Storage-->menu-->usb connection

This articles shows an image of the option you will see [Android M Feature Spotlight] Formal MIDI Support And Several Other Improvements For Audio Input And Output Are On The Way

pick file transfer. Charging only will be the default

It kinda worked! In the developer options, it was on MTP. I switched to charging only and back to MTP and it worked. But I do have to do it everytime I plug it into my computer.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
It kinda worked! In the developer options, it was on MTP. I switched to charging only and back to MTP and it worked. But I do have to do it everytime I plug it into my computer.

that shouldnt be the case but if you have to do it then something is wrong.
have you tried doing it again after a restart(phone + mac)? maybe its a onetime thing

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Exactly what I just had to do to get my Windows 10 pc to get it to work... strange!!!

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
You're having the same exact problem as me then. Did you find a way to fix it permanently?

The next time I connected it did not show up, but I think I went into the notifications and had to changed it there. It says "Use USB for", select that and you can change it from Charging to File transfers, or there are other options. I just connected it to my work PC, which is Windows 7 and it's doing the same thing, but I don't have to go into the settings to change it, just the notifications.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The next time I connected it did not show up, but I think I went into the notifications and had to changed it there. It says "Use USB for", select that and you can change it from Charging to File transfers, or there are other options. I just connected it to my work PC, which is Windows 7 and it's doing the same thing, but I don't have to go into the settings to change it, just the notifications.

Thats how the system work at the moment. it will default to charging and if you have to transfer file you have to toggle the option.
the system doesnt remember the option and its a pain. Hopefully google fix this on the next update

the_vi0

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I was having the exact same issues with my Nexus 6P on OS X El Capitan 10.11.2, with Android File Transfer. Thanks for figuring this out and taking the time to post!

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Thats how the system work at the moment. it will default to charging and if you have to transfer file you have to toggle the option.
the system doesnt remember the option and its a pain. Hopefully google fix this on the next update

It might not be a bug. It might be so when you plug in to your friends computer to charge your phone he can't start downloading your selfies onto his computer. I like it better that way

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty