Nexus 6P - Best Settings for Better Battery Life?

jlevs

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Just got my phone yesterday afternoon and would love to know what people are disabling or keeping on to get their batteries to last longer. Is Chrome a battery killer? If so, what browser are you using?

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Best Settings for Better Battery Life?

I've disabled ambient mode and the LED light (I have Android Wear), as well as severely cutting down on the amount of widgets I had initially :p in my usage Chrome is a bit of a battery hog in use, but I like it so I haven't bothered to change. Also don't use Skype!!!

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site

agree regarding ambient display off and I turn the brightness level down and turn adaptive brightness OFF....also I put mines to sleep after 30 secs or maybe 1 min of inactivity since it is soooo easy to get back in with the touch of a fingerprint!

Paciga

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site

Since the display is amoled, it uses less battery displaying pure black. So some apps have a night mode or amoled mode. Use that whenever possible. You can also switch your background to something with pure black pixels in it.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

No Facebook or messenger(use web version) and that should save you a ton of battery

Never had too much of an issue with messenger on my phones, but today I realized it was number one on the list sucking down 4% out of 13% consumed at the time. Adiós messenger!

I like chat heads a lot, but the battery issues are no bueno.

Posted via the Android Central App

jlevs

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Getting rid of the Facebook app will mean not getting notifications though, right?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Okay, stupid question... Does that mean I have to leave chrome open with facebook logged in?
you have to login first but no you dont have to keep it open all the time. Chrome will fetch you the notification. all you have to do is allow the notification

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I usually turn off GPS to get the best battery life because it cuts down significantly on how much Google services can eat your battery.

I haven't had to do that yet with the Nexus 6p though. Just battery saver mode is enough for 5hr SOT in a 6am to ~11pm day. I do also keep my screen pretty dim but that is more out of personal preference.

jhnstn00

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I usually turn off GPS to get the best battery life because it cuts down significantly on how much Google services can eat your battery.

I haven't had to do that yet with the Nexus 6p though. Just battery saver mode is enough for 5hr SOT in a 6am to ~11pm day. I do also keep my screen pretty dim but that is more out of personal preference.

Battery saver set to begin at 15%? Or are you referring to another feature I'm not aware of?

jlevs

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm also in an area with spotty cell phone reception (so much for having Verizon!). Is using wifi a big drain or should I just be using cell service?

djhassoun

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I just got mine and was excited to try out the Doze feature. Much to my surprise a fully charged phone, with 0 apps running went through almost 50 percent battery in 7 hours.
Called Huawei and the service was terrible AND I found out that if I do end up having to send my phone back they don't send a replacement. You are without a phone while they are fixing yours. So, if you are using Google Fi service you have to have a spare Nexus laying around if you want to be in touch. Starting to regret this purchase, although I do love the phone.

firebend77

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Battery saver set to begin at 15%? Or are you referring to another feature I'm not aware of?

If you go into the battery area in the settings, click the dots for more options and there is a battery saver mode which limits performance I think so that not as much power is needed. When I'm not home I live on it, I think it really does make a difference.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm very pleased with my battery performance. I get about 14hrs of up time with 4-5hrs SOT. I've found cell reception makes the biggest impact on my battery performance, but you can't really control that. I don't do much to affect battery life. Just a couple of things:

-Manually control screen brightness (no adaptive/auto brightness)
-Toggle off WiFi and Bluetooth when not in use (the toggles are buggy; sometimes I have to toggle twice or three time to stop battery use)

My screen timeout is set to two minutes. Background sync is on. And I use Skype . . . haven't seen any battery issues there.

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
good tips, but kind of disappointing comments if u think about it

so far, this phone has the best battery life of any phone I've had.... when I don't use it or put anything on it. My OPO, N5, and S4 all did way better as far as on screen time, apps running, etc. battery life than this phone. Disappointed to say the least, and soon enough all phones are going to get Doze so it's not like that is going to be that significant later. The new 820 chip sounds promising though, will have to keep an eye out for that..

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about ambient mode because that and some other features use the built in co-processor in the Sensor Hub rather than the main CPU which is designed to ease battery load via easing CPU load. Sensor related stuff like that are more of a battery issue on phones that do not have a co-processor. Here's your biggest traditional battery culprits on android:
  • High screen brightness
  • Location services running all the time
  • poor LTE signal reception (but you can't fix this if you live in an area with poor cell reception)
  • Apps that frequently ping for updates like weather, Facebook etc

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I honestly haven't had to turn anything off... Adaptive brightness is on, ambient display is on, location is on, Bluetooth streaming for an hour 2-3 times a day. I have Facebook, 3 email accounts that sync and other misc stuff. I take the phone off the charger at 7am and plug it in around 11pm with ~30% left, usually get just shy of 5 hours SOT.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty