6P Radios vs old phone

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I was on AT&T with my N5 and I switched to Verizon for the 6P so I'm not in a position to compare the radios between the two. I'm seeing significantly slower speeds on Verizon vs AT&T which is most likely Verizon's fault but because these are different phones I can't tell for sure.

My questions is for people who stayed on the same carrier, is the mobile network performance better or worse than for you old phone? By better or worse I mean both speed and reach (i.e. the ability to get a wak signal).

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I came from a HTC One M8. Speed on Verizon has been roughly the same in my opinion, but signal strength has been MUCH better. Places where I was getting low 3g to ok 1x signal strength with the m8 I am getting good 3g and okay LTE now on the 6p.

ryleyinstl

May 19, 2011
Visit site
If signal strength bars are anything to go by (which given how that is all calculated, is kind of dubious, or the very least likely different on different phones) then the 6P is out preforming my old phone (Moto X 2013) by at least 1 bar in most circumstances.

Posted via Nexus 6p

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Sat on my settee I've just got 24 Mb/s download on the 6P. Never been anywhere near that before with my N5. Had to check the wifi wasn't turned on. Quickest 4g speed I've seen by some distance.

Posted via the Android Central App

olsonn

May 11, 2010
Visit site
** Significantly worse ** on T-Mobile in DC (NoMa area - office building penetration is HORRIBLE). This is compared to my old Nexus 5. It is so much worse that I had to look up the Radio Bands on each respective phone to see if there were drastic differences. In short, I think there are enough differences where something could be happening that is the 6P's "fault." But since I'm not getting a signal at all for most of the day in my office, I can't diagnose anything. All I know is this stinks.

Any recommendations that an ***** like me might be missing???

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile lacks low band spectrum so they are terrible inside buildings. If you have WIFI in your office you should switch to Project FI which uses both T-Mobile and Sprint plus WiFI calling. If you don't have WiFI then you should switch to Verizon or AT&T which both have 700MHz spectrum that works in buildings.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I had the Moto X Pure Edition and so far this 6P is working better for me. I was shocked since I thought a Motorola device would be better. I get about -5 to -10 less dBm per location.

olsonn

May 11, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile lacks low band spectrum so they are terrible inside buildings. If you have WIFI in your office you should switch to Project FI which uses both T-Mobile and Sprint plus WiFI calling. If you don't have WiFI then you should switch to Verizon or AT&T which both have 700MHz spectrum that works in buildings.

I appreciate the info, because I'm really ignorant on this stuff. But... It just seems crazy that I went from a STRONG LTE signal (no problem streaming Watch ESPN, etc.) to NO signal at all (no LTE, no 3G, etc.). And just by switching from the 5 to the 6P. Same desk, same location, same everything. Do you believe that the different bands are the culprit? What about the fact that the 5 and the 6P share many of the *same* bands? Just trying to pinpoint this as much as possible. Frustrating stuff! Thanks again to anybody for any insight...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non