Do you charge your phone while sleeping? Is it bad?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't. But mainly because I don't have an easy access to a plug (gf has that side of the bed haha). If I did though I most likely would. I did it in the past before I was with her :p.

mustang02

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Def! This phone never overheats. The only time it even got slightly warm was when it was setting up for the first time, and downloading all the apps I have. Other than that this thing runs smooth, and cooler than even the nexus 6.

Posted via the Android Central App
Try running GPS and music while driving. It gets hot!

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Try running GPS and music while driving. It gets hot!

I frequently use mine streaming music running Google Maps for navigation and as a hotspot all at the same time. It does get warm! But, so has every other phone I've ever had and used all three of those things at the same time. I've never had one shut down because of the heat, but they do get pretty darn warm.

Posted via Android Central App from a Nexus 6P or the amazing Nexus 10

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I've bee doing it for years but lately don't know why I try to charge it full and unplug it before going to bed.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't continuously charge after it's full, no modern phone does. When it reaches 100%, it stops charging (you can tell, the plug and phone aren't even warm if left plugged in). It then just tops itself up when necessary - it's not a continual charge, but it makes sure it stays at 100%. I know some devices used to let it drop to 95-98% before the charger would kick in and top it off again, but the 6P doesn't typically lose that much battery overnight anyway, so I would think the charger does a whole lot of nothing while it's left plugged in. Nothing to worry about. Also, manufacturers know that most people do this, the phones are designed for it.

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I've left my phone off the charger a few times and when I get up I'm down maybe 1 or 2 percent even with FB installed

Posted via the Android Central App

I saw on another thread a trick that may solve the problem. It was suggested to go into Advanced Wifi settings and change the "Keep wifi on during sleep" setting to Only When Plugged in. Apparently, mine was set (and presumably all of them are set by default) to the "Always" setting. I'll see how that goes for the next couple nights to see if that makes a difference and try to follow up.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
My two year old Moto X has been put on the charger every night since I purchased it (December 2013) and still runs like it did when new. One night I forgot and it still made it through the next day.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with charging overnight. Or throughout the day at work, or whatever. It's much better to keep it topped off than to let the battery get too low... so given the option, charge when you can is pretty close to the best you can do .

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't. But mainly because I don't have an easy access to a plug (gf has that side of the bed haha). If I did though I most likely would. I did it in the past before I was with her :p.
You know, they make these things called extension cords?:D

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You know, they make these things called extension cords?:D

They def. do -- but that is the thing -- I am not that worried about it :). I just charge while I game on the PC before bed and I am good. Doze + a good battery % = awesome :).

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I used to charge during sleep all time.. But now i charge it to 100% before sleep and unplug

That is how I handle it now and with Doze and what I found out below, that seems to be the way to go. No need to overnight charge if done right.

I saw on another thread a trick that may solve the problem. It was suggested to go into Advanced Wifi settings and change the "Keep wifi on during sleep" setting to Only When Plugged in. Apparently, mine was set (and presumably all of them are set by default) to the "Always" setting. I'll see how that goes for the next couple nights to see if that makes a difference and try to follow up.

Ok, I did say I'd give a couple days, but this setting I mentioned seemed to do the trick. After 9 hours it went from 100% to 97%. I can definitely live with that. I should also note that I kept my FB and email notifications on, although I don't have audible or LED notifications for that.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I typically keep my phone in the 20-80% range. If the battery is less than 50% when I go to bed, I leave it plugged in to charge over night. If it's over 50%, I'll plug it in the morning. It's not scientific, but that's what I do.

That's actually a good thing to do. Keeping it between 20% and 80% is ideal to keep your battery running good for a long time. Constantly draining to 0% and topping it off will degrade the battery faster over time. How do I know this? I've done a ton of research on the subject. Check out batteryuniversity.com for technical details.

Brutusf

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
My phone stays on the charger whenever I'm not using it. Definitely left on the charger overnight, every night. I will most likely get rid of this phone in 12-18 months anyway, so I'm not concerned at all of any long term effects this may have on the phone. I am more concerned about having enough of a charge on the phone than to worry about "over charging" it.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Smartphone since back in the Palm Pre days. I think since 2003 or 2004. I have always done the same thing with them all that time. It goes on the charger overnight as I keep it in a stand on my nightstand and it is my alarm clock. I use my phone quite a bit at work throughout the day. When I get in a work truck and have to go somewhere or pick something up I always plug it in because I'm using navigation quite often when I do that. When I head home from work or to wherever I'm going after work, I plug it into the charger on my motorcycle or my truck, depending on whichever one I'm using. On Fridays and weekends I always plug it in before I head out to do whatever I'm doing to give it as much of a charge as I can. I've never had any problems or issues with phone batteries following that routine. I usually keep my phone for at least 12 months and sometimes 18 - 24.

Posted via Android Central App from a Nexus 6P or the amazing Nexus 10

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38