Question Xperia 10 V not charging with car usbc anymore

tiblop

Jan 12, 2024
Visit site
Hello,
I have a sony xperia 10 V and suddenly it doesn't charge when plugged via USBC in my california ocean T6.1 .
It actually charges for 2 min exactly and then stop. This is consistent, always 2 minutes. If I unplug and plug it every 2 minutes i can charge it... not so great ^^
It use to charge fine but now doesn't.
I haven't change cable its my mac cable so i know its a good cable.
I deleted android auto to see if it charge when its not connected to the car and it does!
I tried with other phones and they charge just fine from the same car and same cable so I know its a problem coming from my phone.

What can I do in my phone so that it charges in my car?

Thank you very much

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I know you mentioned the cable is good, but have you tried a different cable just to confirm? If there are other ports in your car, have you tried those? If you start your phone into Safe Mode, does it have the issue as well?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums. You tried other cables but have you tried other devices? This sounds very similar to a low voltage issue. Do you get any kind of reading on the device when you plug it in? Does it say anything like, 1 hour 20 minutes until fully charged or Fast Charging connected? Depending on the device I've had them tell me that it was going to slow charge due to low voltage also.

Some devices when connected to a system that doesn't provide at least a certain level of voltage may feel the system is unsafe and stop charging. Most devices regulate the amount of charge they take, this is why they usually charge fast from 0 to 50% and slow down as they approach 100%, so I wouldn't imagine there being too much voltage, but it could be possible. You might consider having your electrical system checked at an Advance Auto or Auto Zone. They can hook up a meter to your system and see what your alternator is putting out. If it's low it may not be to the point where it is causing issues with the car but your electrical system is feeling it. It may also be low if you've added things like amps, drivers or more speakers that are drawing power from your aux.

Try another device and see what the result is on your way to Advance Auto to get your electrical checked and let us know what you find.

tiblop

Jan 12, 2024
Visit site
Hello, "You tried other cables but have you tried other devices?" yes as stated in the post other phones work fine. It's only a problem with mine.
"Do you get any kind of reading on the device when you plug it in?" When i plug it it vibrates and starts charging normally, it stopps without notice after 2 minutes
"Does it say anything like, 1 hour 20 minutes until fully charged or Fast Charging connected? " no, but it never even at home where it charges fine
"You might consider having your electrical system checked at an Advance Auto or Auto Zon" i brought to to wolswagen since its under warranty but since it worked on everyone's phone they said the problem is wiht my phone.
" It may also be low if you've added things like amps, drivers or more speakers that are drawing power from your aux." i didn't change anything to the car

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
My apologies for missing where you mentioned other phones working. Did VW just tell you it was your problem or did they actually check anything? With it working on other phones it does kind of point to it being the phone but testing is free at these places and don't void any warranties. Where any of the other phones Sony?

With it being specific to that device, have you looked inside of the USBC port on the phone? These ports are large and it is easy for debris to get lodged in them if they are in dusty or debris laden places. It could just be that everything lines up just right in the house but something is different enough in the auto that they don't.

Speaking of lining up, is it possible that the port is being pushed/pulled on in the charging position in the auto? While USBC is better than Micro USB in this regard it can still succumb lateral pressure issues if handled roughly even unintentionally.

Beyond this I'm at a loss.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You mentioned that when you deleted Android Auto, it charged normally when not connected to the car. Do you mean that you were still charging via a USB-C connection to the car's port, just without the Android Auto connection?

tiblop

Jan 12, 2024
Visit site
"Welcome to Android Central! You mentioned that when you deleted Android Auto, it charged normally when not connected to the car. Do you mean that you were still charging via a USB-C connection to the car's port, just without the Android Auto connection?"
yes correct

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did the Android Auto app come preinstalled on your phone, or did you have to install it from the Play Store? It's preinstalled on my Pixel 7 Pro, and there's no way for me to uninstall it -- I can only Disable it.

If it was preinstalled on your phone, then when you uninstall it, it may just be uninstalling all updates, and reverting to the version that came with the phone. That might be a clue that it's one of the subsequent updates to the app that's causing problems.

Reactions: Daniel Detkowski