Nexus 6P Gets Very Warm. Bad unit??

Domenic Apice

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I really don't want to have to RMA the device again. The new 6p that I have is working great but I noticed straight out of the box that it got way hotter during setup than my previous 6Ps (YES THIS IS MY THIRD :'( ). I've been using it for a few days now and still notice that it gets noticeably warmer than my last. During average tasks like scrolling through Twitter or a random webpage, the CPU is at about 41 degrees Celcius (checking using the app CPU Temp). On a restart it gets very hot and when charging it gets extremely hot. Youtube videos also bring the phone to very warm/hot territory.

Anyone care to install CPU temp and let me know what temps they are reaching with average use? I'm wondering if updating to 6.0.1 might iron out whatever bug this phone has, or if the hardware is simply effed on this particular unit.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't need CPU temp to know yours is probably running a little warm. I installed Monument Valley then played all 10 levels in the first bundle in one sitting (~1 hour) and the phone didn't have a significant change in temperature.

Mikey88Chaos

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I really don't want to have to RMA the device again. The new 6p that I have is working great but I noticed straight out of the box that it got way hotter during setup than my previous 6Ps (YES THIS IS MY THIRD :'( ). I've been using it for a few days now and still notice that it gets noticeably warmer than my last. During average tasks like scrolling through Twitter or a random webpage, the CPU is at about 41 degrees Celcius (checking using the app CPU Temp). On a restart it gets very hot and when charging it gets extremely hot. Youtube videos also bring the phone to very warm/hot territory.

Anyone care to install CPU temp and let me know what temps they are reaching with average use? I'm wondering if updating to 6.0.1 might iron out whatever bug this phone has, or if the hardware is simply effed on this particular unit.

I've got the same problems. I will install this app and report back here with the results. Is the app you're referring to the one by mooncakes?

Mikey88Chaos

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Here's my results...runs anywhere from 33-42 Celsius. Only have a few apps open and screen brightness is around 25%

Attachments

• 1449635032204.jpg
    1449635032204.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 45

mustang02

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I just opened a bunch of apps. This is where I'm at.

21b3692be45230e01b6aae459230ab70.jpg

Mikey88Chaos

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeah that's the app I have. Seems we're in the same boat. Do you notice that your device feels really warm with regular use too?

Yup, regular use when it's in the 40 degree range, phone gets really hot. Not sure what to do about it
I bought this phone off ebay, seller states that he does not accept refunds

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Wait for the 6.0.1 OTA. I checked the temperature on my 6P when I saw your thread earlier today, it was 40 and peaked at 50 after running geekbench. The OTA just showed up so I installed it, the temp is now 30 idle, 43 after geekbench.

Last edited:

Domenic Apice

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Watching a youtube video this morning it got quite hot as usual. Battery life seems normal though. I average 42 C just turning on the phone.

Wait for the 6.0.1 OTA. I check the temperature on my 6P when I saw your thread earlier today, it was 40 and peaked at 50 after running geekbench. The OTA just showed up so I installed it, the temp is now 30 idle, 43 after geekbench.

Encouraging, thank you!

Mikey88Chaos

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Today has been much better for me but not sure why. Only difference is I used the USB C to A cable instead of the C . The phone still gets warm but it feels better than yesterday.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Today has been much better for me but not sure why. Only difference is I used the USB C to A cable instead of the C . The phone still gets warm but it feels better than yesterday.

When it rapid charges the battery gets hot. You were probably slow charging it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mikey88Chaos

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I will wait for the update, but not sure if it's going for help all that much . Getting tired of constantly watching the battery drain and holding an uncomfortably warm device in my hands.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo