Nothing announced at Mobile World Congress is going to make me give up my Nexus 6P

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Can someone answer this question for me? The 6P comes with 3GB RAM and in my case "64 GB" of storage (I know some is used by the OS hence the quotes). This article states this when noting that the Samsung and LG phones don't allow adoptable storage:

"The micro SD card slot will be important for users to transfer and store music, pictures, and videos, but they still may run out of space depending on how many apps they have installed. I can install anything I want on my Nexus 6P with no fear of running out of space."

I never thought you could use part of the "64GB" storage for apps - is that true? You can only use the 3GB RAM for apps, right?

I also know you can use storage memory for some game data but this article seems to imply you can use the storage memory for apps themselves.

Thanks!

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
@PaulQ, The 64GB memory is for storing apps, games, media, etc. The 3GB RAM is for opening and running those items.

Well all these years, I have had it all wrong in my head. That makes a lot of sense now. Follow up question: My tablet will periodically report it cannot update an app because there is not enough memory. My tablet has 16GB (plus a 128GB card that is not adopted). This means that my apps have used up all or almost all of the 16GB? (or apps plus whatever Samsung sticks on the phone) Correct?

Go take a read at the link below that explains the difference. The 6P has 3G of RAM (memory) and 32/64/128G of storage (analogous to a computer's hard drive)

Understanding RAM versus hard-drive space via an analogy - CNET

At first I thought, "I understand the difference between hard drives and RAM on computer... duh" but then I realized what you were saying here. Good point.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
It means yes, if your device came with 16GB of storage, and tou cant update or download an app, your storage is full, not your ram, so you will need to deleted an app or two so you can install more apps. In marshmallow you can adopt your sd card to combine it with your storage and you wont run out of storage

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch