Android System Webview - Disabled?

JCHAOS

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
This is a system app but it is disabled and for the life of me I can't seem to enable it. Through the apps on the phone or through the play store. I have even gone so far as to reset the device, but no good. Seems it is an important app, but why is it disabled? What else can I try?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
This is a system app but it is disabled and for the life of me I can't seem to enable it. Through the apps on the phone or through the play store. I have even gone so far as to reset the device, but no good. Seems it is an important app, but why is it disabled? What else can I try?
Are you sure it's disabled? Perhaps it's enabled but the option to disable is not available. From what I gather, it's a system level app/service that allows webview to be used in certain instances throughout the device. For example, when you open up an app for the first time and are presented with an end user agreement to use that app/service.

JCHAOS

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Oh no, it is disabled, says so next to the app after selecting show system apps. The enable button is grayed out. can't do anything. Even in play store it shows disabled, but clicking on enable does nothing. Another factory reset in order? I hate doing that.

anon(4054009)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Oh no, it is disabled, says so next to the app after selecting show system apps. The enable button is grayed out. can't do anything. Even in play store it shows disabled, but clicking on enable does nothing. Another factory reset in order? I hate doing that.
Just checked mine is disabled with enable grayed out. I'm on 7.0 no clue what this means.

JCHAOS

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
phew !!! Thought it was just me. I guess I'm gonna just press on then and restore my rig to before I factory reset to try to fix this.

What is strange though is that I updated this app (as prompted) in the app store before the reset, but it apparently didn't take. Device version is still 51.0.2704.90, but update version on play store is 52.0.2743.98.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Are you sure it's disabled? Perhaps it's enabled but the option to disable is not available. From what I gather, it's a system level app/service that allows webview to be used in certain instances throughout the device. For example, when you open up an app for the first time and are presented with an end user agreement to use that app/service.

Just checked mine is disabled with enable grayed out. I'm on 7.0 no clue what this means.

Ok i am not sure you guys know about this but this is intentional. Android N no longer uses webview but uses chrome now for rendering web in apps.

this is one of the feature google introduced in N to reduce battery by using 1 browser rather than maintaining webview and chrome at the same time.

so dont lose your sleep over it. check the article below

Google explains how Chrome will become WebView in Android 7.0

Last edited:

terminator y2k

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
What is this app supposed to do or what is its purpose? Anyone know? I read the description on Google play but I'm still not sure. I guess something to do with chrome and displaying content? I use Dolphin browser.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Android N no longer uses webview but uses chrome now for rendering web in apps.
8b9af9951f0d21aad8bf1b8a4a85e4cc.jpg

3rdgalaxys7

May 24, 2017
Visit site
This is my 3rd galaxy S7!! And my webview is disabled on this one too and I just got it today around 6pm & having trouble with my updates basically the whole SUPPOSEDLY NEW is slow motion. I hate Samsung right!

ivomin

May 9, 2017
Visit site
It is used throughout apps to combine mixed programming. Ok, that sounded stupid. What I mean is that it gives developers a method to program their apps using web technologies and not native to android and the device code (Java, C.... etc.). Also this makes the app non platform specific as long as the platfor has some sort of web interpreter. It is exactly like the JAVA but it's for Android. So you have some "web code" interpreter machine (webview or in iOS UIWebView) that gives the ability to use the android native APIs while programming like for a web site. Then Android uses it's own interpreter machines to go to a native Linux language (actually to ARM instructions through with the help Linux core underneath android). If you are with custom Nougat ROM you will have an option to choose between AOSP webview and Chrome webview. Chrome is not really supported as google are taking steps to... well get rid of the Android web view and thus changing all through the chrome core (which is closed source), and thus it will have issues on the custom roms (there are hacks about it and uses of chromium projects). Still if you are on a stock rom... forget about Android webview... you'll be through the chrome updates. If you are on a custom rom... I suggest to use AOSP webview as long as it is available and updated as it will be more easy for the opensource community to update/use/change it. We will see what will happen when Oreo(android 8) sources come out but I think in the end all will use chrome/chromium webview...

johnnybravo79

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Simplest way is to go to Playstore and type in Android System Web view. This will ask you to Enable. Just tap it a few times and this will download and enable it. Took me a few tries to get it downloaded though.

alberhasky

Feb 6, 2018
Visit site
Simplest way is to go to Playstore and type in Android System Web view. This will ask you to Enable. Just tap it a few times and this will download and enable it. Took me a few tries to get it downloaded though.

Completely true, from the play store just tap enable like 15 times without stopping really fast and in enables and starts downloading!!

alberhasky

Feb 6, 2018
Visit site
If you want to enable Android System WebView you would have to disable or uninstall chrome... as soon as you do that, Android System WebView will automatically enable and be the default app, but if you enable or install chrome, it'll get disabled and chrome will be the default option, with no way to change it