get a second 6p or wait for Marlin???

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I cracked my 6p screen about two months ago. I can live with it but would like to ultimately replace it. The phone's metal rim is rather 'chipped' around most of the edges. I guess I haven't baby-ed this one as much as I normally do. It did make it through a big remodel at my house when I first got it.

Everything I read about Marlin (the bigger high end new 'Nexus or Google' phone to come out) the less impressed I am. I'm thinking of just ordering a new 6p as replacement for my phone and not getting it repaired.

Is anyone excited about Marlin (and why)?

Thanks!

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The leaked images I've seen have done nothing for me....kinda ugly. Also supposed to be more expensive that the 6P was at launch. So it'll have a few newer specs and probably an extra year of life from an OS standpoint, but the 6P is a beast and I'm still loving mine after a year. Personally, if I was in that situation I'd get another 6P....and you can always add the Nexus Protect insurance to the new one.

rpmm70

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I am loving my 6P. After seeing the specs and images, I am not too impressed by Marlin and I don't plan on switching over. Especially with the latest rumors that it won't have stock Android. If I were you, I would stick with the 6P.

vVick3d

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
It's surprising to me that people are still willing to judge something before it's been released. Remember when everyone thought the 6p was going to be a disappointment?

Personally I'd wait the month and a half for the new phones to come out. Then if I really didn't like them I'd be able to buy the 6p at a discounted price! One month of pain for a win win situation.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
It's surprising to me that people are still willing to judge something before it's been released. Remember when everyone thought the 6p was going to be a disappointment?

Personally I'd wait the month and a half for the new phones to come out. Then if I really didn't like them I'd be able to buy the 6p at a discounted price! One month of pain for a win win situation.

I'm judging them because the specs leaked are crap. It looks fine from the renders. The spec bump is minimal at best, what's holding me back is the screen size. It's going in the wrong direction. If they decided to go 5.9 or 6" I'd buy one this year.

vVick3d

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm judging them because the specs leaked are crap. It looks fine from the renders. The spec bump is minimal at best, what's holding me back is the screen size. It's going in the wrong direction. If they decided to go 5.9 or 6" I'd buy one this year.

If the 820/821 with 4GB ram are crap specs then I don't think there is a phone on the market that can satisfy you.

Its fair if you want a bigger screen than 5.7" but I'd hardly call the hardware crap...

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If the 820/821 with 4GB ram are crap specs then I don't think there is a phone on the market that can satisfy you.

Its fair if you want a bigger screen than 5.7" but I'd hardly call the hardware crap...

Fine not crap, but minimal spec bump from the 6P. It's not worth plonking down another $600+ for 1GB more ram, slightly better SOC, mono speaker, and smaller screen. I usually buy nexus phones every year, however this year is disappointing in the direction they are going. If they decide to go back to phablets, I'm in, or if the new nexii go on serious discount I'd consider them. Until one of those things happens, I'll hold on to the 6P, because I don't feel like downgrading in certain areas for something that's shiny and new.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I cracked my 6p screen about two months ago. I can live with it but would like to ultimately replace it. The phone's metal rim is rather 'chipped' around most of the edges. I guess I haven't baby-ed this one as much as I normally do. It did make it through a big remodel at my house when I first got it.

Everything I read about Marlin (the bigger high end new 'Nexus or Google' phone to come out) the less impressed I am. I'm thinking of just ordering a new 6p as replacement for my phone and not getting it repaired.

Is anyone excited about Marlin (and why)?

Thanks!
Really don`t give a toss for the 2 new phones. I`ve just cracked my screen on my 6P quite badly although the phone still works fine.Ordered and received a new 6P so I`m a very happy chappy. I`m going to try and get my original phone repaired as it is just the glass that`s broken and keep it for a spare. It`s still far and away the best phone I`ve owned. Not changing it for a long while.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd wait, it's only a couple of months. We really won't know how the new phones are going to perform until they are released. I'm hoping that they will be better supported on the Verizon network. Verizon doesn't sell the 6P put they are planning to sell the Marlin. While I would never ever buy a phone through Verizon, I'll repeat that never ever, the fact that they are selling it should mean that they will do a better job of provisioning their network to support it.

boss.king

May 28, 2013
Visit site
If you can get by it would be stupid not to wait. You could either get a better/new phone, or get the phone you already know for less money.

Jakubstwo

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
We don't even know if 6p will get all new goodies from Google that new pixel phones will be featuring. I think that yes, since MR1 of nougat is rumoured for the time of launching new phones but still, you can't be sure. And not having nexus launcher would be a shame.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If you can get by it would be stupid not to wait. You could either get a better/new phone, or get the phone you already know for less money.

No doubt a good number of people will be looking to sell their used 6P so you might even be able to snatch up a ridiculously good bargain for a used one.

tsparks1

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd wait, it's only a couple of months. We really won't know how the new phones are going to perform until they are released. I'm hoping that they will be better supported on the Verizon network. Verizon doesn't sell the 6P put they are planning to sell the Marlin. While I would never ever buy a phone through Verizon, I'll repeat that never ever, the fact that they are selling it should mean that they will do a better job of provisioning their network to support it.

Wow, I had no problems with Big Red and my 6P, didn't stay with them long though, made the jump to fi and am delighted.