Bluetooth and phone calls much better with 7.1.1

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed a marked improvement in phone call quality with 7.1.1 and bluetooth phone calls also seem to work much better. Has anyone else noticed the difference?

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, it's like night-day, compared to 7.0.
On 7.0, I'd call my Bluetooth experience as basically "unusable", as I never knew when it would work, when it would disconnect, etc.

On 7.1.1, the BT connections are dead-stable, for me. The battery-life issue still exists, but I just turn BT off, when not in-use, annoying, but work-able.

TrackFan

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Noticed no difference in either BT or phone calls in going from M to N. I'm on NBD90X. BT is just as crappy as ever when trying to hook up to mycar audio system. Phone calls are fine, as they've always been. No S/W magic can fix the BT hardware issue.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Noticed no difference in either BT or phone calls in going from M to N. I'm on NBD90X.
The poster just prior to you noted that his Bluetooth experience was much better on 7.1.1 than on 7.0 (which is what you're running). You might try signing up for the beta. Or just wait until the 7.1.1 final build and see what others have to say at that point.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I only use 2 BT devices: my car and a pair of headphones. Since I got this phone, I have only used these devices. I have had no problems with either of them on 6.0, 6.0.1, 7.0, and now 7.1.1. I will say that calling does seem better on the beta and I like the new call screen.

TrackFan

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
The poster just prior to you noted that his Bluetooth experience was much better on 7.1.1 than on 7.0 (which is what you're running). You might try signing up for the beta. Or just wait until the 7.1.1 final build and see what others have to say at that point.

Ding-Dong. Sorry bout dat. I just re-enrolled in Beta and installed 7.1.1 and eagerly went out to my car to see if the BT issues I had were resolved. Sorry to say, no they aren't. Still will cut out if it is not close to car's BT unit. It MIGHT be a tad better but can't say for sure. All I can say is that the problem is still there.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I just re-enrolled in Beta and installed 7.1.1 and eagerly went out to my car to see if the BT issues I had were resolved. Sorry to say, no they aren't. Still will cut out if it is not close to car's BT unit.
What make/model/year car?

How close to the head unit do you have to be? (And out of curiosity, since it's supposed to be hands-free, why can't you leave your phone right there anyway?)

TrackFan

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
It's a '13 Nissan Xterra.
History ... I used a Galaxy S3 prior to getting the 6P. No issues whatsoever with BT dropping even with that phone in the back cargo area (could put the phone anywhere you wanted and it worked without hiccups). Fast forward to 6P and the phone has to be in proximity to the overhead console in order to get a clean BT 'stream', otherwise it cuts out. If I put the phone on the passenger seat or in my center console next to the seat the BT cuts in and out. Just so happens I have an air vent holder for the phone that holds the phone 'closer' to the overhead console and with the top of the phone oriented to point at the console. BT never cuts out in this configuration so therefore I am able to live with the issue (doesn't mean there's no problem though). As soon as I pull the phone from this holder and even just hold it in my hands sitting in the drivers seat BT starts cutting in and out.
Seems to be a BT range issue. Maybe Google has underpowered the transmitter to extend battery life of the phone? Or maybe the 6P's antenna is not optimum? Or maybe my Nissan's antenna is not optimum?
Regardless, I had zero problems using my S3 with this car or with my previous Subaru Forester. Don't have the Forester anymore so can't check it on that car. I dunno, but it is my biggest complaint about the 6P.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's a '13 Nissan Xterra.
I have access to a 2011 Kia Forte - I'll give it a shot in that next time I can bum a ride and let you know what transpires. Not sure how that will be any help if it works; if it has issues it'll at least be another instance of Bluetooth problems with a specific vehicle.

junipertodd

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I had a number of Android phones that connected to my 2006 Acura TL via BT. Then, I got a 6P. With the v7 beta build, it would not connect. After I contacted Google and shared with them a data dump from my phone after attempting to connect, the October security update fixed the problem and now it connects to my Acura easily, with no dropped calls. My phone is at 90X now and I'm scared to upgrade to the beta 7.1 for fear that I might lose the BT connectivity again.

TrackFan

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Mine connects with no problem but if I stream audio it cuts in and out, unless it's close the overhead console. Same behavior on 6.0, 7.0 and 7.1.1.

Johnnyboy5

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I am a very, very happy guy tonight! And that's because my Bluetooth issue seems to be fixed, so I can keep my 6P afterall. After trying everything to no avail (including a factory reset and dealing with useless Google support), I was literally on the verge of buying the OP3 today and selling the 6P, as it simply wouldn't connect to either of my cars. Late last night, I decided to try one last thing before selling it. So I enrolled in the beta program and got 7.1.1. Miraculously, all day today I've had perfect connectivity with both cars. Very happy because I love the phone, but can't live without functioning bluetooth. Just wanted to share in case anyone else is having BT issues and hasn't tried this yet.

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Any glaring issues with 7.1.1? I'm also in a pickle with my 6P and my Toyota 2015 Highlander. My car system keeps booting until I shutoff the bluetooth in the phone. Yeah it's that broke.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have the new download waiting, but it says that it has to lock on to wifi. I have wifi, but no sim card in the phone. Is that why the upgrade isn't downloading? Thanks.:p